Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, November 30th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Whopper Junior

fordzilla is on a distinguished road
Default Boom

Hey everyone, I am new here, and just blew up my PMR Powerstroke. I am looking for an option as far as rods go that isn't $2600 like the Crower rods etc... I have a core block with Stock Forged that I could use, but I am scared that I will be back in the same boat if I go that route after blowing up my PMR motor.

Are there any reasonably affordable options between the Crower/Hypertech/R&R rods and the Stock Forged?

I am currently running a set of Hybrid 235CC injectors 100% Nozzle, G38 Garrett Turbo, 4" exhaust, STOCK HPOP, 6637 Intake Mod, Harpoon Mod with a DPTUNER for programming.

Suggestions? I don't want to blow up another motor, and would like to build something that will take the power for a long time to come. I run upwards of 45psi of boost with this setup.
Old Tue, December 1st, 2009, 02:43 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

FZ,

First off, let me welcome you to the forum! We are glad to have you here, although I wish it was under better circumstances. I'm really sorry to hear about your mishap. That sucks for sure.

Anyway, at this point I don't know of any cheap alternatives to Crower/Hypermax rods. I don't know anything about R&R so I can't offer any opinion on them.

The stock forged rods should be able to handle up to 500 HP with conservative timing tables and are certainly better than the stock PMR variety, but if you're looking to make more power than that then you're much better off investing in aftermarket rods and know that you're going to stay together. Popular opinion at one time was Crower was a better rod but I don't know if that opinion has shifted at all recently. Again, it all depends on what you're looking to make for power and then make smart component choices that will be able to handle those power levels.

If you don't mind me asking, I've got a couple questions.

1) How much power had you been making up to this point?
2) What program were you running when the engine let go?
3) Were you running hard or cruising when the engine went?
4) Any idea what you'd been running for ICP?

Let me know if there's anything we can help you with.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, December 3rd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Whopper Junior

fordzilla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
FZ,

First off, let me welcome you to the forum! We are glad to have you here, although I wish it was under better circumstances. I'm really sorry to hear about your mishap. That sucks for sure.

Anyway, at this point I don't know of any cheap alternatives to Crower/Hypermax rods. I don't know anything about R&R so I can't offer any opinion on them.

The stock forged rods should be able to handle up to 500 HP with conservative timing tables and are certainly better than the stock PMR variety, but if you're looking to make more power than that then you're much better off investing in aftermarket rods and know that you're going to stay together. Popular opinion at one time was Crower was a better rod but I don't know if that opinion has shifted at all recently. Again, it all depends on what you're looking to make for power and then make smart component choices that will be able to handle those power levels.

If you don't mind me asking, I've got a couple questions.

1) How much power had you been making up to this point?
2) What program were you running when the engine let go?
3) Were you running hard or cruising when the engine went?
4) Any idea what you'd been running for ICP?

Let me know if there's anything we can help you with.

Take care.

1. I am told that I should be right around if not a little better than the 400rwhp mark.
2. I was in my 140hp DP tuner tune (custom for my hybrid Stage III 235CC Injectors & Garrett BB turbo) Stock HPOP
3. Just started to get into it, shifted into 3rd or 4th (can't remember) just starting to make some boost probably 20-25psi, somewhere around 2000-2300rpm?
4. No idea on ICP.

Just put the injectors and turbo in about 1month prior, maybe 400miles on the new parts. Engine had 200,000KMS

I am looking for the best place to purchase some good rods, it seems that most places are around 2600/USD for the Crowers. Are there any other options that could be a little bit more affordable? I don't plan on doing much more (maybe dual HPOP at some point down the road), but want to ensure that I am reliable. I typically get max out around 45psi boost when hard into it.
Old Thu, December 3rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Rumor is that Carson Stauffer will be making affordable rods in the near future. You might look in to that, I too am interested in a cheap set.

Let us know what you find.

Dave
Old Fri, December 4th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Love Games?

theSLEEPER is on a distinguished road

I hope I don't get in trouble for this....

Another one bites the dust!
And another one gone, and another one gone!
Hey, I'm gonna get you too!

Fordzilla, that is not meant towards you. Older members will get it.
Old Fri, December 4th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Fordzilla, thank you so much for taking the time to fill our the Engine Failure Survey! We are currently compiling the data collected from you and others who have had similar experiences. When it's complete, we will be posting the raw data on here and on PSN.

The reason we started the survey in the first place is because Bill has been asked probably hundreds of times over the past couple of years for his opinion of other tuners' calibrations and his opinion about the cause of some engine failures. If you don't know much about him, aside from Steve Cole, Bill has been tuning the 7.3L Fords longer than just about anyone else, and often, people come to him to pick his brain.

He is using the information gathered in the survey to provide his analysis of why the majority of the failures occurred. Since this can be considered subjective (though based on experience and automotive knowledge), we are only going to post his analysis on here. No reason to get any other forum administrators involved in the inevitable onslaught of posts from people defending their tuner(s) of choice.

Thank you again!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Sat, December 5th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Love Games?

theSLEEPER is on a distinguished road

So... We won't get in trouble for bashing other tuners on here?
Old Sat, December 5th, 2009, 03:05 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSLEEPER View Post
Old Sat, December 5th, 2009, 03:52 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSLEEPER View Post
We don't have any problem with someone expressing disappointment over a product or service (even ours ) as long as they are respectful. The thing that people like about this forum is that we will allow people to have their say but we also will not tolerate disrespect or rudeness.

So to answer your question... Bashing, in the traditional "forum" sense will not be tolerated, but if a person has a valid complaint, sticks to the facts, and doesn't go off the deep end, then that's fine. Also, if one intends to speak negatively on any particular company, it should be from personal experience and not hearsay.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, December 16th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Whopper

blk99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordzilla View Post
with a DPTUNER for programming.
theres your problem.... i use to run em, wish i hadnt... friends have ran em, same problem, blew motors....