Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, December 7th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

martinoledad is on a distinguished road
Default What can i expect

Ok i know that the custom tunes produce a lot more power then anything but what makes them so special. I read on another thread that they can roast tires with the gryphon without the road being wet. I had a 07 FX2 sport with the following mods and couldnt even really get them tires to even bark
1) true dual flowmaster exhaust
2) troyer header system (longtube headers + highflow cats)
3) K@N CAI
4) 80mm Throttle Body BBK
5) Jet performance MAF
6) Fitch fuel catalyst (piece of s***) doesnt work
7) bullydog programmer

and on my new 09 i only have
1) K@N CAI
2) Jet performance MAF
3) True dual magnaflow exhaust

So do you think that the gryphon will eventually give me better performance with the new one then with my 07 with all the mods i had on it. Just curious
Old Mon, December 7th, 2009, 10:42 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Forgive me, I am only pointing out things that I have learned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinoledad View Post
Ok i know that the custom tunes produce a lot more power then anything but what makes them so special. I read on another thread that they can roast tires with the gryphon without the road being wet. I had a 07 FX2 sport with the following mods and couldnt even really get them tires to even bark
1) true dual flowmaster exhaust
Doesn't help without custom tunes you lose low end torque.
2) troyer header system (longtube headers + highflow cats)
Doesn't help without custom tunes.
3) K@N CAI
On a 4.6 it won't hurt it but custom tunes would help.
4) 80mm Throttle Body BBK
Did you port the intake opening too?
5) Jet performance MAF
Pretty much same as stock
6) Fitch fuel catalyst (piece of s***) doesnt work
We all have done something like this to some degree!
7) bullydog programmer
Custom tunes would have made more of a difference

and on my new 09 i only have
1) K@N CAI
The verdict is still out weather this helps or hurts the truck as far as running lean?
2) Jet performance MAF
The stock one does the same thing.
3) True dual magnaflow exhaust
The verdict isn't in on this either but probably hurting the trucks low end torque and custom tunes will help

So do you think that the gryphon will eventually give me better performance with the new one then with my 07 with all the mods i had on it. Just curious
Comments are in bold.
Yes, once the gryphon is released and custom tunes are available I do think they will help with some modest gains.
JMHO

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, December 8th, 2009, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the info i guess i wasted my money except for getting really good MPG

I just got off the phone with a salerepresentive from edge and the said they wont have anything for my 09 until sometime this month So i guess i have to wait to get my custom tune for a little while longer
Old Tue, December 8th, 2009, 12:16 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinoledad View Post
Thanks for the info i guess i wasted my money except for getting really good MPG

I just got off the phone with a salerepresentive from edge and the said they wont have anything for my 09 until sometime this month So i guess i have to wait to get my custom tune for a little while longer
Can you just imagine the people ready to bust down the door for one ?
And I know you're one of them!!!
Good Luck!
Just be patient!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, December 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Better believe that im one of them. i really did want one with my 07 but didnt get the chance. but i think im just going to buy it threw PHP to save a little bit of money. So that will take a little longer but im its hard to be patient
Old Tue, December 8th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Whopper

mediumfast is on a distinguished road

i have a 06 lariat 5.4 and the performance increased dramatically with the gryphon. i literally knocked 2 seconds off my 0-60 (canned level 3). i could barely spin the tires before i got the programmer. i've only done a handful of 0-60 runs but i'm averaging 7.70. i was in the mid 9's b4 getting the gryphon. i'm looking forward to getting my custom tune.
i should also say that my test runs were done on private property as safely as possible. i wont be doing too much more fooling around because 20 inch tires are expensive.
should also add that my truck is stone stock except for true dual exhaust and the gryphon.
Old Tue, December 8th, 2009, 11:40 PM

sounds sweet the only thing i have is
1) true dual (magnaflow)
2) K@N
3) MAF (Jet performance)

I just really cant wait until the release for my 09 the wait is killing me
Old Thu, December 17th, 2009, 05:32 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Keep in mind that the Jet MAF recurves the output to make the engine run roughly 5% leaner. The CAI will also do the same thing... leaning out the curve an additional 2% to 3%. That takes your 14.6:1 AFR and pushes it to about 15.7:1. While good for fuel economy, it's not good for performance. Even once it goes into open loop, you're taking the 11.8:1 (average) AFR and pushing to about 12.5:1. That's a bit too lean for any but the most aggressive racing tunes. Certainly not something you want on the street.

Also, I haven't taken into consideration the slight leaning affect by switching to the true dual exhaust.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, December 17th, 2009, 12:48 PM

so what are you suggesting that i take off the JET MAF or what

Oh by the way Powerhungry did you get my PM
Old Fri, December 18th, 2009, 10:53 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I am 88 PMs back right now. I'm still trying to get through posts at this point and haven't even started looking at those yet.

As for the MAF, I'm not saying that you need to take it off, I just probably wouldn't run it with the CAI until you get some custom tunes. However, the fact is that it probably isn't gaining you anything at this point and you'd do just as well to put the stock one back in.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!