Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Wed, July 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Whopper

p40whk is on a distinguished road
Default Century

Found this thread through a search and have to say I'm a bit surprised with the fit of your cap! I just put a Century cap on my 05' Stepside and these are made in the LEER factory (basically a LEER with a different name on it). I chose the Century because it was the only model I could find where someone could show me a picture of a cap on a Stepside.

My Century fits like a glove, the paint match is perfect and it was 30% cheaper than buying a LEER which they also say they have a model to fit my truck. I didn't want to spend the money on something I couldn't see a picture of and I fought with both LEER and A.R.E. to get pictures of their stepside models, never saw one! The Century dealer and the lady at Century emailed me photo's within 15 minutes so that sold me.

I'm very happy with this cap and it's well made. It's kind of amazing how different parts of the same company can perform better than the whole!
Old Wed, July 8th, 2009, 02:03 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Cool! Thanks for adding a "good review" to this thread. I'd hate to condemn an entire product line on the basis of a few bad experiences.

I COULD do a search on this, but does Leer have more than one FAB plant? I seem to recall that mine came from California, but that was a long time ago.

- Jack
Old Wed, July 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Sex alleviates tension

average-joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Cool! Thanks for adding a "good review" to this thread. I'd hate to condemn an entire product line on the basis of a few bad experiences.

I COULD do a search on this, but does Leer have more than one FAB plant? I seem to recall that mine came from California, but that was a long time ago.

- Jack
Leer have 3 locations in the Usa , Milton, PA ,Elkhart, IN and Woodland, CA .

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.
Old Wed, July 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by average-joe View Post
Leer have 3 locations in the Usa , Milton, PA ,Elkhart, IN and Woodland, CA .
Thanks for being more helpful than me!

So, the big question now, "Is there any quality difference between these different plants?"

I had paint problems from the one in California, but that was ages ago. It probably does not count. Where were the more recent bad, and good ones from?

- Jack
Old Wed, July 8th, 2009, 10:40 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Talked with my buddy from Radco tonight at the baseball game. Their store always gets the toppers from Indiana. The latest problem they have had is scratches that are unexplainable. The worst problem he has ever seen from Leer was 15-20 years ago and trying to get paint to match. Only one problem on fitment and that was on a chevy flairside.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, July 9th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Whopper

p40whk is on a distinguished road

Mine came from the Elkhart, IN. plant. Got it in February.
Old Thu, July 9th, 2009, 09:03 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Talked with my buddy from Radco tonight at the baseball game. Their store always gets the toppers from Indiana. The latest problem they have had is scratches that are unexplainable. The worst problem he has ever seen from Leer was 15-20 years ago and trying to get paint to match. Only one problem on fitment and that was on a chevy flairside.

Lars
My Leer cap was in the 15-year ago time frame (with the paint that didn't match after two tries).

- Jack
Old Thu, July 9th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Sex alleviates tension

My two failed attempts came from PA.
One last try to get it right, if not im out of there with a refund.

Old Fri, July 31st, 2009, 06:35 AM
Sex alleviates tension

Leer CANNOT make a cap that fits a F150 8 foot bed i got a refund today.
Leer still offers the cap on there web page and dealer network but it won't be any good,they offer you $300 cash back to keep the bad fitting cap they make...............you have been warned.

Old Fri, July 31st, 2009, 08:48 PM
Baconator

BlackSTX is on a distinguished road

It's always a bit hard to understand. They've been making caps for how many years and they can't seem to make one right for your 8" bed? You'd think that they'd have had enough experience to make such problems almost nonexistent by this time.

Current mods: AEM Bruteforce CAI, Magnaflow SI/DO, Gryphon-87 & 93 tunes, Harley head lamps, tinted windows, lower grille filler, and FX2 lower valance.
Closed Thread