Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, April 29th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Whopper

MyMuddyTruck is on a distinguished road
Default Question level 3

The programmer says level 3 is 93 octane, the manual says 91 octane. Can we use either? I would like to try level 3 but all we have around here is 91 octane.
Also, while I am waiting for my custom tunes, what would give me better mpg, running 91 octane with stock intake or running level 2 with my Volant CAI? Just curious if anyone has tried it. I will eventually try them both but since I just received the gryphon today and I will be driving to see my folks this weekend (900 mile round trip). I was wondering which one would give me the best mpg since I won't have time to test them both out before the trip.
Old Wed, April 29th, 2009, 01:42 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMuddyTruck View Post
The programmer says level 3 is 93 octane, the manual says 91 octane. Can we use either? I would like to try level 3 but all we have around here is 91 octane.
Also, while I am waiting for my custom tunes, what would give me better mpg, running 91 octane with stock intake or running level 2 with my Volant CAI? Just curious if anyone has tried it. I will eventually try them both but since I just received the gryphon today and I will be driving to see my folks this weekend (900 mile round trip). I was wondering which one would give me the best mpg since I won't have time to test them both out before the trip.
A. If its 91 or 93 its not a big deal. But if its 87 and at level 3 might get some pinging.

B. If you already have a cai you should stick to level 2 canned the tow program, it runs richer and you won't be running lean. That would happen on level 3 canned.

C. You could try it on level 2 canned out there and level 0 stock on the way back or vice-versa.

D. Even at stock the cai causes a lean condition to exist. But level 3 leans it out more.

E. As for milage? It all depends on your driving style and where you are at.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, April 29th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMuddyTruck View Post
Well the level 3 is for 91+ octane, the people that use the 93 octane generally bump their timing up 1 degree(.5 degrees for every octane number.)

As far as what would give you better mpg...I found that when premium was 20% more that I got just as good or a little better over stock, but here lately I have been running 87 on level 2 and I am getting the same, so therefore its not worth it to me, albeit level 3 was funner though.

And just remember although they said you can use the CAI with level 2 for the time being, they also said do not run it at WOT I believe, so I think you would have more fun out of it, if you left it off until you got the custom tunes if you planned on running level 3.
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM
Bacon King

Desert Racer is on a distinguished road

I ran level 3 91 octane with no problems with my S&B intake and flowmaster's. No pinging or nothing and was able to get 22 MPG for the most part.
Old Sat, May 2nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I think the serious potential for "too lean" was in 2004-2005 trucks. Your experience MAY indicate a different fueling strategy in the later models. Regardless, I think the Mad Doctor would have a better idea about the potential dangers here. Without testing, we're pretty much guessing.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer