Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, May 12th, 2009, 11:50 PM
lawrenr2001

lawrenr2001 is on a distinguished road
Question custom tunes and tire size and gear ratio

Okay ....when I got my custom tunes loaded and reinstalled my programmer; I checked the gear ratio and it read 3:55 (which is what I have). But when I checked my tire size it was not what I calculated when I first bought the Gryphon (I had to enter it). The question I have ..Did my tire size get calculated by Bill and entered on the custom program by Bill (Bill jump in here if you're not busy)...I gave him my tire info when I sent in my Hex code and list of mods. I thought I had calculated the right tire size...even subtracted 7% for squish....the custom tire size that the program had was something in the 2400s and my figure was 2654 (I think, I have it wrote down on my instruction book in the truck, not here at the moment)....my tires are 35X12.50X20...The truck speedometer is only a mile difference with my figure from the programmer (which is lower 1mph). It is not causing any problems, I just want to make sure I got it right for my MPGs (not that is a big concern, I love the new muscle). Also, I ordered a 93 performance program and I haven't used it as of yet. Everytime I changed gas in the past (before programming) my truck would run bad (backfire, cutout at 65-75)....I spoke to Bill about this a couple of months ago....Ford had to replace some plugs at 4000 miles after the first time I did this and never explained to me why, they only recommend that I run it on 87 octane "cause that's what is was design to run on" (their answer)....If I take a chance on Bill being the wizard I suspect he really is, since he built me a custom 93 program did he allow for the timing for 93 or as I have read, will I need to advance the timing 1.5 (? .5 per octune rating??).....OR should just leave the damn thing on 87 performance and continue to be stoked about the new power?????? .... I am itching to run it on 93 just to feel the damn truck run like it should have to start with (it only has 30000 mile on it).....sorry to have rattled on about all this ....but ...hellll..I' m welding engineer not a damn mechanic!
Old Wed, May 13th, 2009, 06:22 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quick questions?

When you were "checking" the GR and TS, how were trying to do this?

Was it through the custom options menu?

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, May 13th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Native American Redneck

TXWolf is on a distinguished road
When I checked the tire size in the custom options menu after I received my Gryphon with the custom tunes, it also didn't show the # that I had given Bill. If I left it alone, the speed was off by 2-3mph. If I changed it to the # that I used when I first purchased the Edge (2640), it's spot on with what my GPS shows.

2008 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4
5.4L - 4.88 Gears
PHP Gryphon Programmer - BDS 6" Lift - Magnaflow Dual Exhaust - JLT Ram Air Intake - 20" Pacer Ridgeline Rims with 35" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs Tires - Westin BullBar with Driving Lights
Old Wed, May 13th, 2009, 08:27 AM
lawrenr2001

yes it was with the custom options menu. Just like every time I have gone to the dealer, when I disconnected it for downloading I returned the programmer back to stock and when I re-installed it I checked the custom menu when re-programming. I did the same thing when I re-installed the new custom program. I entered the new #1 program(87 performance now) and then checked in the custom menu to check which GR & TS was showing. GR was correct , but TS was smaller them my calculation.
I am really under the opion that Bill does not program TS or he missed my info on it. No big deal as said before since my MPH on both speedometer or really close (1mph as I said). I was just concerned that if I had the wrong TS, I would be missing better fuel economy or even better performance.

Any thoughts about the 93 octane question I asked about?
Old Wed, May 13th, 2009, 08:56 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

OK, I've TRIED to explain this before, but here goes again.

If you load your custom tune, and gave Bill your current tire size and gear ratio when you ordered the tune, and BYPASS the Custom Options menu, you will have correct values loaded for TS and GR.

But, anytime simply open the Custom Options menu, you discard those correct values and the programmer loads "placeholder" values for TS and GR. It is possible that one or both of them could be correct but it is more likely that one or both could be wrong too! Notice what I just said here! Opening the Custom Options menu will likely corrupt TS and/or GR! You can't open Custom Options to "check" TS or GR - one or both of them will probably be wrong, due simply to your opening of the menu!

So, what's the solution? Simple - don't open that menu unless you need to change something else. If you DO open the menu, check and reset TS and GR as necessary, and change anything else you opened the menu for. Program the PCM.

Now, the next time you want to program the PCM, and if you decide to open the Custom Options menu, scroll immediately to "Load Previous Settings" and hit [Enter]. This will quickly reload correct values for TS, GR and anything else you had customized previously. From here, you can make further changes that will become part of the "previous settings" the next time you open that menu.

And, if you have a custom 93 tune, the timing has already been set for 93 octane gas. DO NOT advance it above the "zero" point!

Is this making any sense at all?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, May 13th, 2009, 09:04 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Thanx Jack!
That's what I assumed and why I asked those questions.

Lars

Old Wed, May 13th, 2009, 09:12 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Wonder if you could stick the explination in the FAQ's for the gryphon?

Lars

Old Wed, May 13th, 2009, 09:25 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Wonder if you could stick the explination in the FAQ's for the gryphon?

Lars
I think that's a good idea. Wonder why I didn't think of it? Thanks, Lars!

- Jack
Old Wed, May 13th, 2009, 11:15 AM
lawrenr2001

Thanks Jack,
Sorry for not researching this in the previous threads. Soooo, if I wanted to use just what Bill programmed and rely on the TS he used (I am Sure he had this info, it's listed in my User CP and I gave him all this on the form I sent in at first order) all I need to do is go back and select program #1 (my new custom tune) and then hit enter? This will program the custom settings Bill loaded with the custom tune program and I won't need to check it?.....
Old Wed, May 13th, 2009, 04:26 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrenr2001 View Post
Thanks Jack,
Sorry for not researching this in the previous threads. Soooo, if I wanted to use just what Bill programmed and rely on the TS he used (I am Sure he had this info, it's listed in my User CP and I gave him all this on the form I sent in at first order) all I need to do is go back and select program #1 (my new custom tune) and then hit enter? This will program the custom settings Bill loaded with the custom tune program and I won't need to check it?.....
Yup! You got it! And, don't feel stupid! It took me close to a year to understand what's going on - and I DO read the manual (and everything else that seems to relate to the subject).

Part of the problem for me is that I DO want to change a few things. For instance, I raised all my part throttle and torque converter shift points to try to get better gas mileage and to reduce the tendency of the transmission to overreact to small changes in demand (it was too eager to shift down on gentle hill climbs, for instance).

- Jack