Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford - All Other Vehicles > 1973 to 1985 Carburated Vehicles

1973 to 1985 Carburated Vehicles Emissions laden vehicles, but still simple enough to work on and we still love 'em!

Old Sat, August 29th, 2009, 05:00 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all
Default No carbs here!

Here are a couple of updated pictures. Last night after work I finally installed the engine and transmission out of a 91 E-350 van into my 1973 F-100. I guess "installed" isn't the right word to use....more like, "got them set in the frame".

Now comes the tedious task of melding the old wiring harness with the new, making adapters for the headers (since the new engine has square exhaust ports and the old ones were oval), making a transmission crossmember, having a driveshaft built, and installing the frame-mounted fuel pump.

Once that work is out of the way, I need to re-dyno it so I can see how not-as-awesome this engine is compared to the last 460. This one will be a little more gutless but my entire motivation for this one comes from the E4OD and the multi-port FI. The previous engine was running an MSD 6A and the old analog Holley Pro-jection. I might add that the pro-jection is the cat's *** and I might just miss it.

We'll see.

Last edited by cleatus12r; Wed, July 7th, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old Sat, August 29th, 2009, 05:11 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Here's a dyno sheet of the previous TBI 460 and C6 transmission. It took a few runs to get the AFR dialed in, but we finally got it around 12.5:1 for the entire run.

Specs:

C6
8.5:1 compression
Stock cam (circa 1972)
Full length headers
Dual 3" exhaust into 2 Dynomax mufflers then merged into single 3"

In case you're wondering, the numbers listed on the left hand side of the dyno sheet were what my friends Eric and Phil and I guessed the rear wheel numbers would be before we started spinning the rollers. As you can see, I was way off.

Last edited by cleatus12r; Wed, July 7th, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

Interesting project Cody. 73-79 Fords are one of my favorite body styles. I'm guessing you'll eventually be running tuning from your Minotaur for the truck? How's the progress? Thumbs up from me for the project!
Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 09:57 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Dang honey-dos keep getting in the way of much progress right now.

Actually, as far as tuning goes, the only thing that I will need to fix is the shifting and torque converter scheduling. The stock PCM will be used, even with the forced induction. I plan on using a Dynojet PC-V to work the fuel and timing under boost.

Not much longer though. I'll be posting updates shortly.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old Sun, September 20th, 2009, 12:11 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Cody,

Wouldn't you want to use a chip and live tune it???

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, September 20th, 2009, 08:34 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Cody,

Wouldn't you want to use a chip and live tune it???

Probably not.
The only thing I might want to have the ability to change would be the shift strategies between a street tune and an all-out race tune (or how many "in-betweens" I might want).

The main problem encountered when using the stock PCM in this case is the lack
of a knock sensor. Not to mention the countless hours fiddling with A/F ratio when under boost (I'll need higher-flowing injectors anyway) and I really don't want to have to spend tons of time tuning it for detonation problems.

With the Dynojet PC5/Autotune combination wired in (more wiring.... ), it will be as easy as installing a knock sensor, a wideband O2, and typing in what I want my A/F ratio to be under any load/RPM. After I drive it for a while, VOILA!! It's just "tuned" itself.

But in reality, who knows? I will be in touch if I need anything.
Thanks, Bill!
Old Thu, September 24th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

Hmm, boost, there's an interesting point I didn't know last time I was reading. I'm liking your project more and more. Turbocharging your choice for boosting?
Old Fri, September 25th, 2009, 07:32 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Oops. I forgot to mention that.

Yes, turbocharging is in the works after a naturally aspirated dyno.

A friend of mine turbocharged his '89 F-150 with a 300-6. He spent a long time tuning it using MegaSquirt and he ended up with 300 RWHP. The funny thing is that he also ended up with 575 ft. lbs. of torque at the rear wheels....at less than 3800 RPM.

So it's my turn now. I am hooked.
Old Fri, March 5th, 2010, 01:45 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Well, the truck is FINALLY in the shop. I've wasted about 4 hours total trying to graft the old oval port headers to the square port heads and came up with the conclusion that the original '91 manifolds will have to work just fine. My only hang up on the exhaust will be driving it 60 miles to Billings so an exhaust shop can make new head pipes (about 18" long a piece) and run them into my existing exhaust system. Open manifolds get really annoying quick.

In any case, I am about to run the power steering lines into town and get some new ones made that will go from the new Saginaw ( ) pump to my steering box. Getting rid of that whining POS Ford pump will be awesome.

I've got the wiring harness laid out and I'm sitting here trying to figure out what I want to hack out and what needs to stay. I've ripped off all of the idiotic vacuum solenoids and wiring for things like the EGR that have no purpose in life.

I am also trying to come up with a way for the accelerator pedal to work....going from a mechanical linkage to a cable. I'll figure something out.

I'm hoping that I can use my Holley "blue" fuel pump to feed the high pressure frame-mounted pump. The blue pump is a low pressure pump so I shouldn't have any problems but .

I plan on mounting everything that needs to stay with the harness exactly like it's wired into the harness so it minimizes splicing so a lot of stuff will be mounted in precarious places but it will be done right. Keep in mind, the vans had things mounted a little differently than the pickups. I have a row of four connectors right above the thermostat housing...but that's where the stuff was in the van, so that's where it will be in the pickup.
Old Sun, March 7th, 2010, 01:31 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Whoa....just saw this. Looks like a cool project!