Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > General Vehicle Related Topics > Towing

Towing This forum is specifically for questions, comments, or ideas about towing with your vehicle.

Old Sun, September 27th, 2009, 10:42 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGSMDNR View Post
Well i ran my towing tune and i must have something wrong with my head. The truck ran awesome. The tranny temp didnt get over 180 and it was about 33 degrees F outside.

I will have to get Bill to look at the 1-2 shift and 3-2 shift, seems a little hard under heavy acceleration.
Brrrrrr! 33 F!

Your tranny shouldn't overheat at that temp!
I still think Bill needs to look at this also.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, September 28th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Double Whopper

RGSMDNR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Brrrrrr! 33 F!

Your tranny shouldn't overheat at that temp!
I still think Bill needs to look at this also.

Lars
My bad.. I mean 33c not F.

We were camping for my buddies stag.. didnt get much sleep.
Old Mon, September 28th, 2009, 10:10 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Your transmission seems to be running just fine if you don't see temperatures above 180 at 91 F. The "hard shifts" - are these at part throttle? If so, Bill might need to adjust something. If they're at WOT, then maybe you could dial back the shift "firmness" a bit.

- Jack
Old Fri, October 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
Whopper Junior

tjacobs1 is on a distinguished road
Default Towing Tune

I'm glad to hear that the towing tune seemed to provide a better result this trip. I have tried a bunch of different options this summer towing since I got our travel trailer and I thought I'd share some ideas on what has worked best for me with you from my experience. I tow a 31' Coachman Captiva ultralight with my 06 supercrew 4x4 6.5' bed with 5.4 & 3.73's & 38k miles. I live in TN so basically tow at sea level or slightly above. The only mods I have are a gryphon and an MBRP exhaust. The difference between towing my camper stock vs. with the gryphon and exhaust on level 2 is extremely noticeable. The camper weighs ~5,700 dry and probably closer to 7,000 when we head out to go camping. The biggest difference I noticed with the tune is the improved shifting. I hated the stock shifting when it would downshift so hard at 60mph to 2nd gear. When the truck did that I'd just wanted to let off the gas and get back to a normal gear no matter how slow I'd be going at the top of the hill. I usually baby my truck and I hated having no idea how that was impacting my transmission/motor. I tried everything from varying my speed to using O/D to turning it off prior to hitting a hill or after I started up a hill. I just wanted it to pull the hill in in a gear at about 3k rpms as I felt that was the easiest on my truck and really could care less if I was only going 50 at the top of a hill. I was disappointed with my trucks towing ability prior to buying the gryphon and thought I had purchased too much trailer for an F150 even though Coachmen advertised pulling that exact trailer with a stock Ford Expedition. (I picked that trailer as I thought it would be easy on the truck compared to the 9k # fifth wheeler the dealer was trying to convince me buy b/c my F150 was rated to tow 9,100 lbs). Now that I've got the Gryphon all of that is behind me. On flat ground I can tow with the O/D on without any hunting and on most gradual hills it will just shift gears smoothly (from about 1800 rpms to 2300 rpms) and pull the hill without a problem. If I'm going up a long/steep hill I'll let it shift to the 2300 rpms and then turn the O/D off. The rpms climb to 3000 and I can pull any hill at 65mph. On a recent trip from Bristol back home I pulled up the plateau which is about a 6-7mile nonstop incline at 65mph without any issue. Tranny temp got up to 186 and it was 92 degrees. I'm not sure why, but if I let it shift up one gear to around 2300-2400 rpms and then turn off the O/D to get the rpms up to about 3000 - 3200 it pulls much better than if I just go from 1800 rpms or so and turn off the O/D. I'm sure someone on here can explain that, but I don't have an explanation for that.

I just got my custom 87 towing tune from Bill as well as my custom 93 towing tune. I'll let you know how those work as soon as I get a chance to tow the trailer which should be in the next couple of weeks or so. If the custom 87 performance tune is any indication I will be very happy.
Old Mon, October 5th, 2009, 02:46 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Dan,

Not sure if you caught it but I've got the update files on the server ready for download. I addressed the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts as indicated. Let me know if it works better.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, June 13th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Double Whopper

RGSMDNR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Dan,

Not sure if you caught it but I've got the update files on the server ready for download. I addressed the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts as indicated. Let me know if it works better.

Take care.
Thanks Bill. I havent been running my gryphon for a while but now since towing season is here... Ive updated my unit and test it out shortly.

thanks again,

Dan