Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Tue, December 20th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Keep Austin Weird

DBlackman is on a distinguished road
Help Newbie in need of HELP - Running lean

I have a Ford F-150 2000 Harley Davidson (non-supercharge) with 153k mileage. Online research and recommendations by various sources had influenced the purchase of an A.E.M. CAI (oil-free) and Flowmaster 50 Series SUV model to improve fuel economy, performance, and satisfy my long desire for that 'Mustang/Camero' exhaust sound... Smile. Since then, I have been battling with extreme rough idle (mostly at cold start) and engine shutdowns at traffic lights. My local shop informed me that the DTCs were pointing to both front O2 Sensors that were causing the engine to run lean. By recomnmendation, I had purchased the Edge Insight CS in an attempt to 'tune' the truck and resolve the issue.... NO GO. After calling and speaking with Edge support, the Edge Insight CS was nothing more than a gauge compared to what I was hoping for and that Edge technology were not designed to custom tune the Air Intake or MAF! Needless to say, the unit was taken back for a refund. I call PHP and scheduled a call back to see if there was anything that can be done to resolve my trucks issue through tuning. I eagerly await their call.
Old Wed, December 21st, 2011, 09:11 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

1st...What are the codes?

2nd...Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

3rd...have you cleaned the maf, throttle body, throttle position sensor, changed the fuel filter, run a bottle of techron cleaner, changed plugs recently ...

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, December 21st, 2011, 10:42 AM
Keep Austin Weird

Hey 88Racing, Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, I didn't write the two DTC codes down when the Insight CS was connected. However, I do recall 'SensorBank1' and 'SensorBank2'.

There are no vacuum leaks, checked by Ford Technicians. They even swapped the two front O2 sensors the isolated which of the two were bad. They don't believe at throwing parts at an issue without determining which part is bad. I was prepared to just have them both replaced.

The MAF was replaced with the replacement A.E.M CAI, however there was a cleaner used to troubleshoot possible MAF issue. MAF is good.

The truck had oil in 5 of 8 spark plug housing; bad gasket. ALL oil was cleaned out and components properly dried, before new spark plugs and cables were replaced.

I will need to inquire about throttle body and position sensor. Along with the fuel filter, which is always replaced according to Fords maintenance schedule.
A.E.M. CAI, FlowMaster 50 SUV series, RAM hood, Solar 300 Spoiler MoonRoof, chrome Harley grille, and LED Lights; Head, Tail, 3rd Brake, and turn signal side mirrors. Custom 18" down-fire subwoofer, xPlus amp, door speakers, and Alpine media deck... goodby CDs and cassettes... Hello iPod Touch; sync wireless from the house to the garage - no more tethering to my Mac!
Old Wed, December 21st, 2011, 01:20 PM
Keep Austin Weird

Okay. Just got back from the shop.

Throttle body and position sensor checked-out fine (.96 Voltage). Fuel filter was replaced in February and is good, as expected. In addition, the PCV tube is fine too.

The DTCs recorded were '0171' and 0174'.

Fuel Trim (Long = -22, Short = -3)

As for the Techron cleaner, pending. The Intake Manifold Gasket is now in question.
A.E.M. CAI, FlowMaster 50 SUV series, RAM hood, Solar 300 Spoiler MoonRoof, chrome Harley grille, and LED Lights; Head, Tail, 3rd Brake, and turn signal side mirrors. Custom 18" down-fire subwoofer, xPlus amp, door speakers, and Alpine media deck... goodby CDs and cassettes... Hello iPod Touch; sync wireless from the house to the garage - no more tethering to my Mac!
Old Wed, December 21st, 2011, 02:19 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

There's also an elbow for the pcv system behind the throttle body that tends to get pinholes in it and can cause the lean codes....

Old Wed, December 21st, 2011, 03:33 PM
Keep Austin Weird

Hey 88Racing,

I was shown the PCV at the shop. There were no evidence of damage and/or pinholes. Ironically, they too mentioned that I might be asked that question... LOL

I didn't hear from PHP today, as scheduled... bummer. Even tried calling multiple times during their posted work hours. Wittingly, I went ahead and completed and submitted the online form without their guidance I was hoping for. I paid for a Gryphon CS with custom 87-91 Octane performance calibrations. Hope to discover what is causing my problems soon. I've read the potential problems that could occur while driving under this condition for prolong periods. NOT GOOD!

Last edited by DBlackman; Wed, December 21st, 2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old Thu, December 22nd, 2011, 09:03 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Click link>>> http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/lates...-new-post.html

Old Thu, December 22nd, 2011, 09:36 AM
Keep Austin Weird

.... Thanks for the link. I will post my prayers there.
Old Sat, December 24th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Keep Austin Weird

Hey 88Racing,

Just wanted to inform you that I had both the Intake Manifold and EGR gaskets replaced yesterday; Intake Manifold gasket had signs of wear.

As of today, no 'Check Engine' or rough idle or engine quits... In fact, the truck's performance has returned to normal, if not better. This was a long shot attempt that paid off!!!

I also took your advise and added Techron Complete to the fuel tank this morning. woot... woot...

Last edited by DBlackman; Wed, December 28th, 2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old Mon, December 26th, 2011, 10:58 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Good to hear.....