Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sat, September 19th, 2009, 07:14 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Well ended up with an interstate. Couldn't beat the specs and warranty.
I was going to put a motorcraft in but the dealership I stopped in at was out of the 650's. So the parts guy offered me the interstate for the same price.
The battery has 850cca and 1000ca. Not to bad for $90. Saved $10 overall.
Got home and did the install in about 20mintes. Made sure everything was nice and clean. As for the old one, I charged it up and did a load test and it didn't pass. Repaired the battery tender cord still going to give it another shot.
Anything learned here?
Yes, a battery that is 4 years or older your living on borrowed time.

btw Found some more stuff the cat chewed on. He's banned now from the garage.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, September 19th, 2009, 10:19 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

You're lucky it's just your cat. Here in Tucson (thankfully not where we live) there is a pretty good population of packrats. Those little buggers will make nests up in your nice warm engine bay. And, they really enjoy munching on any exposed wiring they find in there. They cause all sorts of electrical problems.

There are two "fixes" for the critters - one is to leave your hood open at night, they don't think the space is so cosy then. The other is to install underhood lighting that's always on, because they seem to prefer dark spaces. Fortunately, LEDs have made that option very viable now, and I've helped some friends with that installation.

- Jack
Old Sat, September 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM

Gator 68 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
I have good luck with Maxx everstart batteries from WM good price with 3 year free replacement... Consumer reports actually rates them very highly too. Plus if your battery craps out there is a walmart pretty much on every corner. Also check the manufacturer date and ship date sticker on the batteries.. walmart generally sells lots of batteries so they don sit on the shelf for a long time before being sold. plus if you loose receipt their warranty is based on manufacture date on the battery.
I don't care for AC delco but all the others mentioned above are good... Optima are great batteries but $$$$$
If you look at the manuf. of Maxx everstart most are made by Exide. Some are Johnson.
Old Sat, September 19th, 2009, 10:55 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
You're lucky it's just your cat. Here in Tucson (thankfully not where we live) there is a pretty good population of packrats. Those little buggers will make nests up in your nice warm engine bay. And, they really enjoy munching on any exposed wiring they find in there. They cause all sorts of electrical problems.

There are two "fixes" for the critters - one is to leave your hood open at night, they don't think the space is so cosy then. The other is to install underhood lighting that's always on, because they seem to prefer dark spaces. Fortunately, LEDs have made that option very viable now, and I've helped some friends with that installation.

- Jack
I have found that using drier sheets like bounty. That stuffing them were the vermin like to get in is a good deterant. Also moth balls but mainly the drier sheet cause they just smell better.

But the led light idea? Now that just may work if they don't like the light!

Lars

Old Sat, September 19th, 2009, 11:14 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
I have found that using drier sheets like bounty. That stuffing them were the vermin like to get in is a good deterant. Also moth balls but mainly the drier sheet cause they just smell better.

But the led light idea? Now that just may work if they don't like the light!

Lars
I didn't mean to hijack a battery thread, but it seemed a good opportunity to relate a cure for rodents in the engine bay.

Our yard also has numerous cute little round-tailed ground squirrels. They look a bit like chipmunks, but no stripes and their tails are thinner. A proposed deterrent is dryer sheets in their holes - doesn't work. Also, cat poop (from the cat litter box) is supposed to discourage them - doesn't work. The only thing I've found that DOES work is to physically trap and remove them (we use Have-A-Heart traps and take them a couple of miles away). One summer we moved over 100 out of the backyard alone!

Maybe I ought to figure out a way to put LEDs into their homes! That DOES seem to protect engine bays.

- Jack
Old Fri, October 23rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
Whopper

goracer is on a distinguished road

Interstate were rated the best out of all the regular batteries, better then Sears. I don't like regular though, so I am using an Optima (Yellowtop). I was going to use Odyssey but they come in weird shapes. I have an aluminum bracket I had riveted in and holds it solid when off roading.
Old Fri, October 23rd, 2009, 10:46 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by goracer View Post
Interstate were rated the best out of all the regular batteries, better then Sears. I don't like regular though, so I am using an Optima (Yellowtop). I was going to use Odyssey but they come in weird shapes. I have an aluminum bracket I had riveted in and holds it solid when off roading.
Optima was an option but wasn't in my price range.
Ran the yellow top in my jeep and f100, never had any problems.
But they have really gone up in price the last few years.

Lars

Old Wed, November 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Double Whopper

Buckeyes903 is on a distinguished road

I have a yellow top Optima in my Ranger and I know I have abused it and it just keeps on working. It is about 5-6 years old and still works just like new even with a 2000 watt stereo and 9 off-road lights 7 of which are 100-150 watts.
Old Wed, November 11th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Baconator

BlackSTX is on a distinguished road

Seen a Consumers Report test on batteries some time ago, oddly enough, AC Delco was ranking pretty good in most of the categories; if not near the top. I've always gotten over 5 years with them without any problem. I know our Carquest wholesale rep said their battery where made by "___ Penn ___?" Manager said it was a good one.... Something to check into.

Current mods: AEM Bruteforce CAI, Magnaflow SI/DO, Gryphon-87 & 93 tunes, Harley head lamps, tinted windows, lower grille filler, and FX2 lower valance.
Old Wed, November 11th, 2009, 06:15 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

I just couldn't force myself to put a cheby part in a ford!
But it was an option.
Lars