Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sun, January 18th, 2009, 06:55 PM
AAA Rib Steak

Chris74 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info Jack and Bill............I am obviously a victim of this. My truck sat for a week (I was down south) at -30 degrees celsius.........when I got back and tried to start truck......click, click, click - no juice!
I guess I gotta unplug programmer next time or buy a much bigger battery!
Custom tunes
Old Sun, January 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris74 View Post
thanks for the info Jack and Bill............I am obviously a victim of this. My truck sat for a week (I was down south) at -30 degrees celsius.........when I got back and tried to start truck......click, click, click - no juice!
I guess I gotta unplug programmer next time or buy a much bigger battery!
You might also think about a battery tender for your truck if it is parked where you could keep it plugged in. I have one now and have not had any trouble since using it.

- Jack
Old Mon, January 19th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Jack,

Can you explain what a battery tender is? I'm sure I could ask Billy, but if I have the question, I'm sure others do, too, but don't want to ask and sound stupid. I gather what it DOES, but what is it?

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Tue, January 20th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Takin the low road.....

Cajun is on a distinguished road

They're really cool little gadgets for sure. I use one with my motorcycle in the winter. They do just what they say, they charge your battery if it's low and then they monitor the voltage in your battery and give it a little trickle of juice when it needs a boost. There's a lead that you attach to the battery and tuck out of the way that plugs into the unit when you're parked. I have mine running through the frame of my bike under the seat pan and it pops out right in front of the rear fender. The plug is about the size of two Sharpie caps. They work great!

http://www.batterytender.com/

QueenCityBashers.com
South Central NC RC Bashers
Old Tue, January 20th, 2009, 08:01 AM
AAA Rib Steak

Chris74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
You might also think about a battery tender for your truck if it is parked where you could keep it plugged in. I have one now and have not had any trouble since using it.

- Jack
Well actually Jack I was parked at an airport parking lot and there was no outlet to plug it in. It is very rare that my truck ever since more than a day or two.
Custom tunes
Old Tue, January 20th, 2009, 09:51 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick View Post
Hey Jack,

Can you explain what a battery tender is? I'm sure I could ask Billy, but if I have the question, I'm sure others do, too, but don't want to ask and sound stupid. I gather what it DOES, but what is it?
You'll NEVER sound stupid (unlike me), Corey! :o Here's a link to the page that describes the one I've got: http://batterytender.com/default.php?cPath=11_2 The nice thing about them is that they reduce the charging voltage so that the battery does not "gas" when it's being "maintained". Trickle charges don't reduce the charging voltage. They also charge the battery VERY slowly - about 1.25 amps, if I remember correctly, so they don't damage it like quick chargers do if the battery needs charging.

Like Cajun said, there's a "quick-connect" plug that makes hooking them up easy as pie. I have it permanently connected to my battery so I can just plug it in when I put my truck in the garage.

Darned thoughtless of the airport not to provide an electrical outlet where you were parked, Chris. However, If your truck is driven as often as you say, you should be fine. Mine often sits a long time between drives.

- Jack