Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, December 15th, 2008, 09:30 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_123 View Post
I've noticed too how the tq conv unlocks easily when slightly letting of the gas to coast down a small slope. Then when you slightly press the gas pedal, the rpms are too high for the current speed for a few seconds. I find this strange too.
It's irritating, isn't it? Feels to me like the transmission's doing way too much work and that can't be good for its overall life. I wonder if this is the "funny" torque control Bill has talked about previously? I don't remember other posts along this line, chappy, so maybe that's what you're referring to.

- Jack
Old Mon, December 15th, 2008, 11:41 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The TC unlocking when letting off the throttle is a means to thy to help improve fuel economy by letting the engine RPM drop down during coasting. I know it may seem a little "busy", but it's actually better in the long run because it takes negative load off the engine and transmission. The only thing it's not good for is if you need engine braking, although a gasser isn't going to be good for that anyway.

For what it's worth, we've reduced the amount of time for the converter to relock and all that we ended up with was the infamous "shudder" on tip-in on certain vehicles. What's irritating is it doesn't do it on every vehicle.

One thing that has been requested was to allow more throttle/load before the converter unlocks, particularly in those situation where you're going across an overpass or up a slight grade. I am addressing those requests and as soon we get something that we feel comfortable with, we can get include that in the tuning. It's tricky getting the right combination of converter hold going up a small hill versus quick release for passing or accelerating.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!

Last edited by Power Hungry; Mon, December 15th, 2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old Mon, December 15th, 2008, 02:58 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Interesting that unlocking on coast is easier on the transmission. Having grown up in mountain areas, I'm a big fan of engine braking and will do it anytime I'm coming down a mountain. So far, haven't had any transmission failures.

Good to know though that you are still looking into the throttle/load to unlock point though.

- Jack
Interesting that unlocking on coast is easier on the transmission. Having grown up in mountain areas, I'm a big fan of engine braking and will do it anytime I'm coming down a mountain. So far, haven't had any transmission failures.

Good to know though that you are still looking into the throttle/load to unlock point though.

- Jack

Last edited by Power Hungry; Mon, December 15th, 2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old Mon, December 15th, 2008, 03:17 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Hey, I drive these things, too! It's a little frustrating getting around Chattanooga and having the converter unlock going up a measly 4% grade. Sat and watched my mileage going down the tubes for like 5 miles. Even a sizable overpass is annoying.

Don't worry, we'll get that nonsense straightened out.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!

Last edited by Corey Cohron RIP; Mon, December 15th, 2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old Mon, December 15th, 2008, 03:51 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Hey, I drive these things, too! It's a little frustrating getting around Chattanooga and having the converter unlock going up a measly 4% grade. Sat and watched my mileage going down the tubes for like 5 miles. Even a sizable overpass is annoying.

Don't worry, we'll get that nonsense straightened out.
Cool! I know you're talking about exactly what I'm complaining about! Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like this and that I'm not or :dunce:

- Jack

Last edited by Corey Cohron RIP; Mon, December 15th, 2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old Mon, December 15th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Double Whopper

Mark_123 is on a distinguished road

x2
Mark
Old Tue, June 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Whopper

agood1 is on a distinguished road

Hate to drag up an old thread, but I was watching my lockup the other day, running canned tune #2 and it seems to be too early, speed wise. Can I change it to lockup at a higher speed?
Old Tue, June 8th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by agood1 View Post
Hate to drag up an old thread, but I was watching my lockup the other day, running canned tune #2 and it seems to be too early, speed wise. Can I change it to lockup at a higher speed?
I was wondering why this little mummy was resurrected.

You can used the custom options menu to raise it.

9th question:
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/faqs-...ions-menu.html
Old Thu, June 10th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Whopper

agood1 is on a distinguished road

OK, I found it..

Last edited by agood1; Thu, June 10th, 2010 at 11:28 AM.