Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, April 2nd, 2010, 08:01 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'm going to add something here. The rental property we own recently had a "gas furnace" problem. I investigated and found the furnace would light, but almost immediately, the gas would be shut off. There was a trouble code light, but six flashes was not on the list, so, I called in a "pro".

There's a "sensor", that detects flame and if it doesn't "see" the fire, it shuts off the gas to prevent a gas buildup. This sensing "probe" can become "dirty". The technician cleaned it (wiped it off on his pants actually) and surprise! The furnace works just fine!

Guess what? The sensor sends a millivolt signal to a control board. Sound familiar? It doesn't take a whole lot to corrupt this signal, and, I suspect it doesn't take a whole lot to corrupt the MAF sensor signal either.

So, I said I liked K&N's response and I even pointed out that Bluejay has been using a K&N filter without difficulty for MANY miles. But, what they say based on their own (probably biased) testing is NOT proof!

Please don't confuse a manufacturer's claims with fact. Everyone puts a "spin" on things.

And, here in the PHP forum, we treat each other with respect. We do not say something like: "This myth is busted and so are your ******** arguments."

Thanks in advance for understanding how we work here.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, April 4th, 2010, 10:28 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeblerz28 View Post

Why would the car brand make any difference? The same K&N filter technology & same oil is used on all their filters...

As for 3rd party testing, how about the 107 supposedly defective sensors that were returned to them, 65 were totally fine! They sent the 23 malfunctioning ones to an independent lab (3rd party) to examine and determine contaminants. NONE had k&N oil on them. This is all from the first video link I provided earlier.

What about the millions of other filters they have sold over the years? Just think of how many millions of miles have been driven with their filters? How more unbiased a study do you want?

I have a technical background, I work in a lab, and I do a lot of testing according to standards. So I can appreciate when a company spends the time to do the R&D, with a dedicated test fixture, with annually calibrated instruments. You won't even find that at Mythbusters...

This myth is busted and so are your ******** arguments.
I guess 26+ years of working on vehicles and using performance products doesn't mean much when I try to add something to a discussion.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sun, April 4th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
I guess 26+ years of working on vehicles and using performance products doesn't mean much when I try to add something to a discussion.
No, because companies dont lie to make you more willing to buy their product. Kinda like everyone knows redbull really gives you wings.
Old Sun, April 4th, 2010, 10:52 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
No, because companies dont lie to make you more willing to buy their product. Kinda like everyone knows redbull really gives you wings.
There you go!
Poor that in your tank!
It will really give your truck wings!
Redbull says it themselves!!!!!
But
Not the type of wings that will make your truck fly!
Only the ones it'll get after you have to put it in a grave yard!

Old Tue, April 20th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Whopper

Keeblerz28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I didn't mean to offend anyone, and I'm sorry if I did.

I don't believe that I called anyone any names, used profanity, etc, and I also understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I merely was trying to have a meaningful, fact-based debate by sourcing a reference. (ISO 9001 certified, fwiw)

I'm not trying to be difficult or a pain in the __. I just want the forums I spend time on to be able to answer questions as good as possible. I'm sure you understand that this often means its a group effort, so I just don't want anyone to take anything personally if it looks like I'm trying to correct someone.

I've been kicked off another forum before (reinstated after I talked to the moderator) and I don't want to have to go through that here.

I would gladly discuss anything further with anyone via PM.
According to a UCLA study, 93% of communication is non verbal cues... yet we find ourselves in a world of emails, texts, and other electronic messages (like this one)
-Dave
Old Tue, April 20th, 2010, 06:59 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

How do I want to address your issue?
I'm not calling anyone names.
I'm just trying to dispell the corperate propaganda that these companies force feed the propective customers.
Alls I ever said was the testing was a bit one sided.
Believe it or not:
K+N IS one of the better CAI applications to tune with on these trucks.
It has the least amount of droan to contend with besides the 3" AF1(which is not made anymore).
Its just the customers own oiling practices sometimes defeat the sysytem and allow it to foul.
Yes.
I do believe that over oiling is a big factor with any oiled filter application not just to the MAF but to the gumming of the TB also.
Take a step back and look at the problem/situation from the whole perspective.
Set your learnings asside and open your mind to other members views and experiences.
Peace!

Old Mon, December 13th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Whopper

Toigs325 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityFX4 View Post
So, I have a guy on one of my other sites and he has a question about towing and cannot seem to get any help....
Here is his question...

"hello, i am new to this site, i recently purchaed a 2006 f150 king ranch 4x4. it has the k&n cold air kit, i pull a boat and cannot stand the noise it makes when under power. my first question is, does somebody make one that doesent sound like it's going to suck the hood in?? i will trade for a factory set up. i am located in central fl."

Any of you guys have some insight I can share with him???

Thanks!

Sin
I have the same trouble pulling my boat...Its worse with the K&N 77 series because it has a metal tube instead of plastic...it wont hurt anything though. I would go with plastic if I did it again though because it isnt nearly as loud and gets more power because the metal tube can heat up a bit.
Old Fri, April 22nd, 2011, 05:30 PM
Whopper

chill19872 is on a distinguished road

Just to throw this out there i have used K&N Drop in filters on my 97,04, F-150 I have had No problems at all with the oil affecting my MAS, I just make sure to wipe the filter down after oiling to ensure.On another note if your concerned about filter efficency and you just hate to "oil" your filter i would suggest a Volant Power core CAI. A buddy just had one installed on his 2009 f150(5.4) and just to clarify this system is a sealed unit with air flow coming from the factory hole near the fender/ and also coming from the front where you can add the "scoop" upgrade. Im sold on the idea of getting a Volant if i go to a CAI i like the sound lol of course i also like the sound of nitto mud grapplers over my radio
Old Sat, April 23rd, 2011, 06:49 AM
Double Whopper

jmwilso2 is on a distinguished road

I just spray my maf with electrical contact cleaner at the oil change following a filter cleaning, I've never had a maf problem.

Joe

07 F150 4x4 Super Cab Long box. 5.4L, Gotts mod, Flex-a-lite Monster efan, Dynatech long tube headers, true dual exhaust with x pipe and Borla mufflers, and of course the Gryphon. Bushwhacker extend a fender flares, Tech tube wheel to wheel step bars, Piaa HID Shock Lamp moose spotting lights. Morimoto projector retrofit with 55W HIDs.