Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, January 21st, 2009, 01:09 PM
Whopper

SlvrBrute is on a distinguished road
Default Octane Level for Upgrade? Bill,Corey? Help?

Well I am going to send in my Evo for an upgrade to the Gryphon in the next day or two but was wanting to know what octane I should select for my custom performance tune I am getting? I am getting just one tune for my mods because that is all I need but I run Super Unleaded (89) all of the time because it is the cheapest and didn't know whether I should get that octane performance tune or just leave it at 87? I just talked to PHP and they said that there isn't going to be that big of a difference but I just want to make sure before I send it out? Thanks
Old Wed, January 21st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Takin the low road.....

Cajun is on a distinguished road

Super 89!?!?!?! It amazes me how much of an octane rating difference there is across the country. Normal for us is 85, 89 & 93. The 93 is replaced by 97 at a few stations and you can even find 105 Super Fuel in several spots around town.

QueenCityBashers.com
South Central NC RC Bashers
Old Wed, January 21st, 2009, 02:42 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

SlvrBrute - Tell them the octane rating is 89, not 87. Also, if your gas has more than 10% ethanol, I'd tell them that too.

Cajun - The 97 octane and 105 MUST be E85! I can't imagine blending real gas to that octane rating unless it's avgas.

I was listening to an interesting interview on radio the other day that talked about how we're going to have a bunch of ruined small engines (lawn mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws, blowers, and the like if E85 becomes the new "standard" gas. According to the people interviewed, not only is it corrosive to some of the components, but it causes these engines to run hotter.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, January 21st, 2009, 03:00 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Ethanol is highly corrosive to aluminum and magnesium, common metals found in may small engine components. You aren't kidding about ruined engines.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, January 21st, 2009, 04:39 PM
Takin the low road.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Cajun - The 97 octane and 105 MUST be E85! I can't imagine blending real gas to that octane rating unless it's avgas.

- Jack
I'll double check, but I know the 93 isn't E85, and I pretty sure the 97 isn't either. I was able to get it at a Sunoco a while back and the 105 (maybe it's 101) is at BP and it's sold as a performance gas. I'm pretty sure that one isn't ethanol either. I'll double check both places this week though and make sure my story is straight.

QueenCityBashers.com
Old Wed, January 21st, 2009, 04:54 PM
Member in Sin

SinCityFX4 is on a distinguished road

I will have to drive over by the Las Vegas Speedway and get a pic, some of the stations over there. Some of the crap they have on pump I look at like
Then again, I do not drag race or anything either.

Our normal octanes here are 87,89,91. You see 93 in a few places, but not many.
Old Wed, January 21st, 2009, 05:10 PM
Whopper

SlvrBrute is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Our normal octanes here are 87,89,91. You see 93 in a few places, but not many.
That is the same octane levels here in Iowa that you can get along with E85.
Old Wed, January 21st, 2009, 05:52 PM
Member in Sin

SinCityFX4 is on a distinguished road

We have E85 as well, where is this higher octane Ethanol fuel at? Is it mainly in the midwest??
Old Thu, January 22nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
I'll double check, but I know the 93 isn't E85, and I pretty sure the 97 isn't either. I was able to get it at a Sunoco a while back and the 105 (maybe it's 101) is at BP and it's sold as a performance gas. I'm pretty sure that one isn't ethanol either. I'll double check both places this week though and make sure my story is straight.
Cajun - I don't doubt your story at all. And, I wouldn't expect the 93 octane stuff to be E85 either. I DO know though, that blending in ethanol has the effect of raising the octane (improving anti-knock properties) while at the same time reducing the power available per gallon of gas, so your gas mileage suffers.

In case you can't tell, I'm not a fan of "gasohol". And, while I feel we MUST do something to reduce our dependence on oil, I don't see corn ethanol as the answer.

Hopefully, we'll see some progress in this area in the next four years.

- Jack
Old Thu, January 22nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
Takin the low road.....

It's all good Jack, I'm gonna go by a couple of stations on the way home. I want to make sure I'll telling the right ratings and don't have it twisted in my little pea brain.

QueenCityBashers.com