Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Tue, March 23rd, 2010, 04:20 PM
Whopper Junior

Ke5fuj is on a distinguished road
Default Reprogramming PCM myself

Hey all. i am still working on my troublesome F150. Here's the history i posted before and after that is where i am now with more questions.

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/2004-...tion-code.html

Myself and another mechanic have determined that the PCM, with the WRONG program in it, seems to be the current problem now.

I have a friend at the dealership who is going to let ME reprogram my PCM to the current calibration available from Ford. The reason i am doing this and not the dealer is because its supposed to be a fairly simple process according to the service guys, just time consuming. so rather than me pay them hundred of dollars to do it, I'm gonna do it.

So heres the problem/question.....The old computer that came out of the truck (2007 version) and the one that i now have (2006 version) have the same model number. According to a couple of techs, i can erase the PCM and reprogram it to MY vin number and options and hopefully it will work properly in my truck. Has anyone ever done this and if so, were you successful? The programming procedure is supposed to be stratight forward with a flow chart involved. just follow the flowchart and do as it says. Does anyone know if this is how it REALLY is? The techs say that the original Calibration code doesn't matter because every time a vehicle gets flashed with the new update from Ford, the original cali code and program is lost forever. so do you think i can really erase the PCm and start over basically with my VIN and truck options and it actually work? thanks in advance.

Isaac

P.S. If your response is to let the dealer do it cause you dont want to mess it up, just know that the dealer can't even program the PATS system without my help so i doubt they will be able to program the PCM on their own. Besides i'd rather get the experience. and i have tons of time now since i just lost my job. (another reason to save money)
Old Wed, March 24th, 2010, 11:42 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Yuk! I doubt any of us (other than maybe Bill) have the real knowledge to help you.

But, since I used to teach microprocessor design, I tend to agree that this SHOULD be a fairly straightforward process. You are replacing the program that is stored in an EPROM in the PCM. And yes, it would be a complete replacement. The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is the firmware in that unit (its operating system). I don't know if that has to be changed too, and if so, does your flow chart say anything about it?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, March 28th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Bacon King

Sburn will become famous soon enoughSburn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke5fuj View Post

P.S. If your response is to let the dealer do it cause you dont want to mess it up, just know that the dealer can't even program the PATS system without my help so i doubt they will be able to program the PCM on their own. Besides i'd rather get the experience. and i have tons of time now since i just lost my job. (another reason to save money)
If your dealer is kind enough to let you do this with their software and equipment (called VCM) at their facility, then you should be fine. You run through the software to the point where you are prompted to replace PCM module and then install the as-built calibration from Ford using your VIN onto the replacement module. Then you go into the PATS function to nix out anything on the replacment PCM and reprogram to your keys.

If you can't do this at the dealer using their system, you can still DIY, but it's not cheap. You buy the DIY/independant shop module programming software from (called FMP) Motorcraft Service:

http://bit.ly/b3a5XJ

Then you need a J2534 interface cable, which is what goes between your computer's USB port and the OBD port:

Mongoose

Between the FMP software and the J2534 device, you're going to be out $500, which might be enough to convince you to pay the dealer for a couple hours of their shop time.