Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Tue, April 13th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough
Default Subwoofer and Amp mount ideas?

So i have my super cab 2005 F-150 and I have a 12" shallow mount memphis sub and 2 amps, 1 for the sub and 1 for the door speakers. I want to have as much space as possible without hurting the sub or the amps, so i was wondering if it is possible to mount the sub under the front center part of the front 40/20/40 bench seat with some modifications, and also my biggest question is if it is possible to put the amps behind the rear seat. I figure that this will give me the most room, and since the sub doesnt need a lot of space, if i can't put the amps behind the seat I can just put them under and then not use that area. Either way I still havent figured out how to remove it to see how much room there is, i assume ill have to pull the whole seat out to find out, but if anyone already has tried that or knows how to do it easily then please let me know. thanks
Also if anyone has any better ideas on how to put the rest of my system in there then please let me know!
Old Tue, April 13th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Yeah, you can take that middle seat out to put something under it. I'm not sure how much room there is though. I had to loosen the front to slide a CB radio mount under it for support but I dont remember what kind/size of tool I used. If you do mount something under there that generates heat you will also need to find a way to move air to keep it cooled. I would mount the speaker amp there. Keep the subwoofer amp somewhere where air circulates. I dont even like sticking them under the seat because of the heat.

Just so you know, I have a similar setup. I have 2 12's being run by a 2 channel 750 peak watt sub amp and 2 car speakers being run by a 4 channel 280 watt speaker amp. I've got one size smaller cab so I built a plywood platform for the sub amp that lets it sit over the speaker amp. I use the speakers more than the subs so I dont think temp is a problem, but I'm only using 2 speakers.
Old Tue, April 13th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Grown-up in training!

Yeah that makes sense about the heat, I was looking online last night and I saw someone with an extended cab that put his amps behind the seats so I think I will see how different the back of my truck is. If I do put the sub under the front center seat I would most likely take out the metal framing and use MDF and then keep the seat cushion above it so I dont lose a seat. I think a downfacing subwoofer with about an inch or maybe 2 between the speaker and the floor will provide enough air movement to keep the sub cool.
Old Tue, April 13th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Forum Predator

Yeah, that'll work if you can get it to fit. I'm sure all the forums have their own projects but I know that f150.net has a few good ideas and projects that people have done.

Here is an older picture of my setup.

The only speaker you cant see is the 4x10 speaker on the other side of the amps. The speaker amp is below the subwoofer deck.

And I built everything sturdy so I didn't have to worry about not being able to set stuff on it. The speakers are sunk lower than the amp so anything that sits there does not put enough weight on the speakers to break them.
Old Tue, April 13th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Grown-up in training!

That looks pretty good. I am going to measure the size that would fit under the center seat and see what will fit, and worst case scenario ill do the amps on the back wall (if i can figure out how to get back there) and the sub under the rear seat. that seems to be a fairly common option. ill post pics for sure when it is done.
Old Tue, April 13th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Forum Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
That looks pretty good. I am going to measure the size that would fit under the center seat and see what will fit, and worst case scenario ill do the amps on the back wall (if i can figure out how to get back there) and the sub under the rear seat. that seems to be a fairly common option. ill post pics for sure when it is done.
If you want to do that just mount a board on the other side of the plastic. I've seen a few that did just that and they made it look really cool.
Old Tue, April 13th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Grown-up in training!

which plastic for what? haha
Old Tue, April 13th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Forum Predator

On the back wall...or did you mean the actual metal back wall?
I meant the plastic you see just below the back window.
Old Tue, April 13th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Grown-up in training!

Haha I saw someone remove the seat and put a board there then the amps, and that went right on the metal, another one i saw someone use 3m tape to secure the amp right to the metal back wall... is that even safe? haha And from what I remember there is no plastic between the window and the back seat, not enough room, there is some type of fabric material and the child seat straps i believe. So right now the plan would be to use as much of the old amp rack as possible behind the seat, then put the sub in front, and run the wires either under the carpet (should I be worried about wear and tear there?) or run them the long way down the side of the truck under the plastic trim/floor panel.
Old Tue, April 13th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Forum Predator

I completely forgot that the cab you have has a tiny little bench seat. I knew a guy who built something like a center consol and mounted a high quality 12 inch sub in it. It was a good idea because you did lose a little bit of floor space but you gained a small table/consol in the back...you just didn't set an open cup in it when the radio was going.

Wherever you mount the amp remember that they can get to be over 200˚ (I kept a thermometer on mine one time and watched it climb when the subs were getting hard use).

The wires will be fine under the carpet. I've got my CB antenna wire run down there and it is still good but you can go along the trim if you want to do it easy. I have found that the best tool to run wires is a decent length of weed eater line. It is stiff enough where it will push through stuff but is not so stiff that it can't make turns. When you get the line through just tape whatever wire your running to it and carefully pull it through.