Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Tue, May 18th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Whopper Junior

juspifool is on a distinguished road
Default Road Trip - Best Mileage

I have the 87 Performance tune on a Gryphon for my '05 FX4 Supercrew and its great. I am looking to see what settings I can change to maximize my fuel economy on my upcoming road trip. I'll be traveling about 1400 miles both ways mostly on the highway.
Old Tue, May 18th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

The only setting you need to keep the mileage up is to watch your foot. I put a vacuum guage and I keep an eye on that while driving. It can get me 1 or 2 extra mpg just by changing the amount of pedal I use. I never realized how much pedal I used until I put that in.
Old Sat, May 22nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
Baconator

BlackSTX is on a distinguished road

That's a good, inexpensive way to go.
I'm usually reminded how much pedal I use when I go for gas.

Current mods: AEM Bruteforce CAI, Magnaflow SI/DO, Gryphon-87 & 93 tunes, Harley head lamps, tinted windows, lower grille filler, and FX2 lower valance.
Old Mon, May 31st, 2010, 02:37 PM
Whopper Junior

eagle1highlander is on a distinguished road
Default eagle1highlander

Have sae on my 2008. Have reached as high as 17.2 on long haul with cruise on.
Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 12:32 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

If you want to modify a custom tune that Bill wrote call PHP and talk to Bill.
JMHO

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sun, January 23rd, 2011, 09:06 AM
truck # 3

60DRB is on a distinguished road
Default MPG?

Well the Gryphon has been installed for a month now. I just made a 600+ mile trip and was wondering why...

My hand calculations for mpg were 15.75 mpg. The Gryphon display for average mpg showed 20.6 mpg as I was rolling into the driveway. That seems to be a HUGE discrepency.

I have the 87 tow tune loaded, tire size and diff. ratio are correctly loaded. Why such a huge difference?
Old Sun, January 23rd, 2011, 07:23 PM
Come Get Some

hampsterzone is on a distinguished road

I have wondered the same exact thing! I use to think I got great mileage going off my edge evolution until I did the miles to gallons ratio and found it to be off, much like you are seeing. Increase your mileage by using premium fuel and driving so your rpms are below 1,900. Limit idling also helps. Running fully synthetic oil, new fuel filter, and having your fuel injection system cleaned by a professional helps. If it is a good place they clean everything plus add cleaner to your fuel. I have done this and I am very pleased with the results. Costs more at first but in the end your truck runs better and you will see an improvement in mileage. Good luck!

2012 FX4 Waldoch M80 Edition Supercrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Road Armor Grill Guard, huge smile!
Old Sun, January 23rd, 2011, 08:34 PM
Double Whopper

jmwilso2 is on a distinguished road

The most ive gotten with my 07 long box super cab 4x4 is 20.1 on a 1000 km long straight flat stretch in northern ontario. This road also has some serious hills before and after the flat stretch and the best way I've found to save fuel on them is to keep the cruise off and build up lots of speed going down and then bleed it off going up the next one, basically just plant your foot in one spot and let the speed do what it wants within reason. Obviously you dont want to be crawling up hills as this will defeat any gain in economy you might get, but gravity is free use all you can. 88Racing called this roller coastering in a reply to a post I had make a while back. I liked it and call it that all the time now.

I was also wondering how much pedal Longshot uses? I havent got the vac guage for mine yet and was thinking I might be able to use accelerator pedal position off the gryphon instead, the two should be directly proportional although not necessarily a linear change relative to one another. Or maybe just go by rpm outright while accelerating. Do you keep it under 1900 like Hampsterzone? I had been accelerating around 2000 but have started shooting for 2500 and I think I'm actually seeing an improvement. Its just an estimation of course, its way too hard to get an accurate fuel economy calc this time of year for me. But just going by what the instant economy is and for how long it stays that way for a low power acceleration vs a moderate power acceleration it looks like 2500 is working out better. I wish it would work best with the pedal to the floor, I'm kind of in love with the sound my new exhaust makes.

Good topic, Its always interesting to hear how many mpgs others are getting and what they are doing to get them.

Joe

07 F150 4x4 Super Cab Long box. 5.4L, Gotts mod, Flex-a-lite Monster efan, Dynatech long tube headers, true dual exhaust with x pipe and Borla mufflers, and of course the Gryphon. Bushwhacker extend a fender flares, Tech tube wheel to wheel step bars, Piaa HID Shock Lamp moose spotting lights. Morimoto projector retrofit with 55W HIDs.
Old Sun, January 23rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
Come Get Some

hampsterzone is on a distinguished road

Catch 20/22! Accelerating decent up to speed is better for economy as long as it is not too much. I meant keep your upper speed in relationship to 1,900 rpms. I loved the rollercoaster analogy, makes since. Have you considered the other suggestions?

2012 FX4 Waldoch M80 Edition Supercrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Road Armor Grill Guard, huge smile!
Old Mon, January 24th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Double Whopper

jmwilso2 is on a distinguished road

I change the fuel filter every second oil change, but I still use good old dinosaur oil. Its actually a synthetic blend but, I cant justify the cost of full synthetic unless I can extend the time between oil changes, which I cannot do until I'm out of warrenty. I'd also probably want to change the filter every 5000km anyway and then just top up the bit that I lost doing that. I'll be getting the fuel system cleaned within the next 10000km as I'm almost due for a 100000 km maintenance.

Joe

07 F150 4x4 Super Cab Long box. 5.4L, Gotts mod, Flex-a-lite Monster efan, Dynatech long tube headers, true dual exhaust with x pipe and Borla mufflers, and of course the Gryphon. Bushwhacker extend a fender flares, Tech tube wheel to wheel step bars, Piaa HID Shock Lamp moose spotting lights. Morimoto projector retrofit with 55W HIDs.