Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, February 13th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Whopper

SlvrBrute is on a distinguished road
Default Gryphon didn't fix problem that occured with Edge...Fuel Filter/Bad Gas...Suggestions

Well just installed the gryphon programmer today with the 89 performance tune to help compensate for my Banks Monster Exhaust and drop-in AEM dryflow filter and it is doing the same thing as the edge on level 2 was doing?? It will cut out if you softly accelerate to around 25-40 mph range and that is where it doesn't like something because if you accelerate mildly to hard there is no cutout or hesitation in that range but if you let off in that range and then try to get back on the gas it will hesitate and cut out as it tries to regain speed...seems to be the range that most of the problem occurs and it also seemed like at 60 mph if you would let off and try to get back on the gas it seems like it isn't as responsive as I am thinking it should be or hoped the gryphon would fix...So I really can't tell that the gryphon has done much because the problem is still there that occurred with the edge and the truck just doesn't seem to run very smooth with a tune or isn't liking something...But the truck runs fine in stock mode with the exhaust and drop-in filter except for the hesitation and sluggishness that is usually common with the trucks....I have contacted Bill at PHP and he was going to look into it so I don't know what the deal is but I am getting frustrated with trying to get the truck to run how it should with my add-ons which are nothing major!! Plus my gas mileage has seem to gone down and I don't know what is going on???

The truck almost has 10,000 miles on it and needs an oil change in about 500 miles but do you guys think I should change my fuel filter? I am also thinking of running some fuel system cleaner in the next tank along with running a more premium fuel like a 92 or 93 to see if that will help kind of clean it out if there is a little bit of crap in the system?? I live in Iowa and the only reason I am thinking about changing the fuel filter is because we have been pretty cold for several months and there have been like 2-3 day spurts throughout the last few months where it has been below zero and the truck started a little hard on a few of those days because it had been sitting outside for a little while because I am in college and don't usually drive much except to go to the store or get something to eat every now and then? Anything else that I should have looked at or that might need changed? Just wondering if anyone has some input because I am not sure what I should do...
Old Fri, February 13th, 2009, 06:43 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I think it's probably some small glitch in the way your tune interacts with your truck and it's mods.

I WOULD not put in any gas additives without knowing more, I think it would be a waste of money. Same goes for the fuel filter - your truck is too new. I don't think premium gas will clean anything any better than "regular" stuff. The only thing "premium" has going for it is resistance to detonation.

I suppose you COULD have water in the tank, due to condensation. Bill, what do you think? However, why would it run OK in stock mode if that were the case?

Nope - my money's on a problem with the tune (and I know Bill does not need this) but, that's what I think.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, February 13th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrBrute View Post
I have contacted Bill at PHP and he was going to look into it so I don't know what the deal is but I am getting frustrated with trying to get the truck to run how it should with my add-ons which are nothing major!!
Cody, you are among others on his desk that he's trying to find time to work on. You haven't been forgotten!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Fri, February 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM
AAA Rib Steak

Chris74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well just installed the gryphon programmer today with the 89 performance tune to help compensate for my Banks Monster Exhaust and drop-in AEM dryflow filter and it is doing the same thing as the edge on level 2 was doing?? It will cut out if you softly accelerate to around 25-40 mph range and that is where it doesn't like something because if you accelerate mildly to hard there is no cutout or hesitation in that range but if you let off in that range and then try to get back on the gas it will hesitate and cut out as it tries to regain speed...seems to be the range that most of the problem occurs and it also seemed like at 60 mph if you would let off and try to get back on the gas it seems like it isn't as responsive as I am thinking it should be or hoped the gryphon would fix...So I really can't tell that the gryphon has done much because the problem is still there that occurred with the edge and the truck just doesn't seem to run very smooth with a tune or isn't liking something...But the truck runs fine in stock mode with the exhaust and drop-in filter except for the hesitation and sluggishness that is usually common with the trucks....I have contacted Bill at PHP and he was going to look into it so I don't know what the deal is but I am getting frustrated with trying to get the truck to run how it should with my add-ons which are nothing major!! Plus my gas mileage has seem to gone down and I don't know what is going on???

The truck almost has 10,000 miles on it and needs an oil change in about 500 miles but do you guys think I should change my fuel filter? I am also thinking of running some fuel system cleaner in the next tank along with running a more premium fuel like a 92 or 93 to see if that will help kind of clean it out if there is a little bit of crap in the system?? I live in Iowa and the only reason I am thinking about changing the fuel filter is because we have been pretty cold for several months and there have been like 2-3 day spurts throughout the last few months where it has been below zero and the truck started a little hard on a few of those days because it had been sitting outside for a little while because I am in college and don't usually drive much except to go to the store or get something to eat every now and then? Anything else that I should have looked at or that might need changed? Just wondering if anyone has some input because I am not sure what I should do...
Well, the biggest reason your gas mileage has gone down is because of the colder weather you have had. This is the norm where I live in Canada.
Also, what year is your truck?
If you try hard enough, can you get it to do the same when it's in stock?
I don't think the fuel filter is the issue.....or you would have the same problem while on stock tune.
When you say it will "cut-out" when you softly accelerate.......can you describe very specifically what it does. Does it happen the instant you apply more pressure to the accelerator, and then take off after that? Does it feel like it's missing...... or actually dying for a couple seconds?
I recommend driving your truck in stock for now until your hear from Bill. Just be patient! He deals with lots of issues similar to yours on a daily basis.
Sorry we can't help you more, just yet!
Custom tunes
Old Fri, February 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM
AAA Rib Steak

Cody, Did you make any adjusts to the custom settings at all? or is it 100% Bill's tune, exactly as he built it?
Custom tunes
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Whopper

Hey guys I have not messed with the tune whatsoever, it is the tune that Bill programmed into it and I have not altered it in anyway. The truck runs okay in stock mode with the mods but not great I would say...The hesitation that is common is still there and it seems to run a little rough at certain times but not really cutting out or anything...It will cackle a lil bit if you rev it up and let off but I don't think it is nothing major...I think that the right tuning will make everything work better but it must be a tricky exhaust system to tune for?...It will stumble a lil bit in the stock mode because I don't think the computer compensates quick enough for the throttle load at certain times which makes it feel like a big pooch! Anyways I am going to wait to hear back from Bill but in the meantime do you think I should try anything with the truck...I am going to check the fuel filter this weekend at home and make sure that it is fine and I think that I am going to add a fuel cleaner just in case there is a little bit of water in it I can hopefully get rid of it and I don't think that it would be a big waste of money considering most of them are around $5!...My truck is a 2008 and has just about 10,000 miles on it so there shouldn't be any problems but I keep thinking that the cold weather might be causing some of the symptoms hopefully...anyways I just thought I would add a couple more things to up-date the situation and the cut-out that I am experiencing is like it sputters and misses as you try to get back up to speed...almost like it does when you are not getting enough fuel I guess to describe it as???....It just doesn't run smooth in the range that I mentioned and definitely is affected by the tuning of the programmer? Hope I can figure something out...
Old Mon, February 16th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Glocks and Goldwings

glockwinger is on a distinguished road

SlverBrute,

I am having almost the exact same issues with my '06 with 44,000 milies on it. Same sputtering, feels like it has a dirty fuel filter, etc. I changed my fuel filter, but the problem persisted. I had a chance to briefly correspond with Bill about it, and he told me to leave it stock until he could dig into it. I will be talking to him when he returns after Feb 24. I would guess he is working on yours as well.

Good luck! I know if you are like me, you can't wait to get that snappy response back by using the custom tunes on the Gryphon!
Old Mon, February 16th, 2009, 09:38 AM
AAA Rib Steak

agreed....just run it in stock for now. But the cold weather is not the cause here Cody.......It's cold where I live, trust me
Custom tunes
Old Mon, February 16th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Member in Sin

SinCityFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I am sorry if this seems stupid but this is well after the truck has warmed up right?
Old Mon, February 16th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Whopper

Yeah the truck is well warmed up and it still occurs