Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, August 30th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Whopper

Tonto87 is on a distinguished road
Help Need Help on '04 5.4 custom tunes.

Late last night I was reading thru the vast amount of info on this site.
I saw a thread about '04 5.4s having trouble running lean with CAI and advise to someone to run (back down to his 87 to and perf. tunes. I can't find that thread again this A.M.
I just ordered a Gryphon CS and ordered 89 tow and perf + a 93 perf. Based on info that I could go one step either way (run 87 on the 89 and 91 on 93). I had my HEX included with order.

Should I try to contact PHP and revise my order?
Old Mon, August 30th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

The reason why you would switch tunes is if your custom tune didnt take into account the CAI. if you have a CAI and no custom tunes you should use the 87 Tow tune because it runs a little richer(canceling out the lean effect of the CAI a little). if you told PHP about the CAI then you have nothing to worry about once you get your CS, Bill should have covered whatever issues the CAI would have in the tune. now if you didnt tell them about your CAI then you need to talk to them ASAP so that they can take it into account for your custom tunes. Hope this helps!
Old Mon, August 30th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Ticopowell has it pretty much nailed on the CAI issue. Having a custom tune written for it makes the intake safe. The only problem I'm seeing is a chance of running 87 octane on a 89 tune or 91 octane on a 93 octane tune. You can run fuel that is a higher octane but not lower. What you could do is get a set of 87 and 91 octane tunes and if you ever fill with the higher grade stuff you just add 1 to the timing.
Old Sun, September 19th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Whopper

Tonto87 is on a distinguished road

Hey, You guys rock.
Sorry I hadn,t done a thank you before now. My Lady's laptop crased and she borrowed mine. She then proceeded to pull out of the driveway and one of our local logging trucks sealed it's fate. Sigh, at least it was a quick death. I have only been able to do a quick log form work to check if Bill had posted a msg about my custom tunes.
I had emailed them, but, Groovy Chick called me to tell me my CS was being shipped. We got the problem fixed. Thanks again for the advice and the links.
Old Wed, September 22nd, 2010, 01:55 AM
Bacon King

cajunboy2208 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
Ticopowell has it pretty much nailed on the CAI issue. Having a custom tune written for it makes the intake safe. The only problem I'm seeing is a chance of running 87 octane on a 89 tune or 91 octane on a 93 octane tune. You can run fuel that is a higher octane but not lower. What you could do is get a set of 87 and 91 octane tunes and if you ever fill with the higher grade stuff you just add 1 to the timing.
Eh? I got an 87 custom tune months ago. And I am wishing I went with the 93. So all I need to do is add 2 to the timing and I can start running 93?
The stock 93 performace tune did better than my 87 custom performance tune...
Old Wed, September 22nd, 2010, 02:07 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

You can run 93 gas in an 87 tune, but it wont take complete advantage of the 93, even if you change the timing, but changing the timing would help. and again im no expert, but this is what ive seen/learned from reading the forum for the past yearish
Old Wed, September 22nd, 2010, 05:30 PM
Forum Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunboy2208 View Post
Eh? I got an 87 custom tune months ago. And I am wishing I went with the 93. So all I need to do is add 2 to the timing and I can start running 93?
The stock 93 performace tune did better than my 87 custom performance tune...
You can run 93 and add about 2-3 degrees of timing to it. But start with 1.5 advancement. If you dont have trouble go to 2 then 2.5,2.75 but I would advise against going over 3. When you are adjusting the timing you will raise it and get a tiny bit more power, when you dont have any increase in power or the engine knocks then take it down a bit. You do not want to have too much timing advancement because that is really bad for the engine.

Funny, my custom 87 on 87 beats my canned 93 on 93.
Old Thu, September 23rd, 2010, 02:45 AM
Bacon King

cajunboy2208 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
You can run 93 and add about 2-3 degrees of timing to it. But start with 1.5 advancement. If you dont have trouble go to 2 then 2.5,2.75 but I would advise against going over 3. When you are adjusting the timing you will raise it and get a tiny bit more power, when you dont have any increase in power or the engine knocks then take it down a bit. You do not want to have too much timing advancement because that is really bad for the engine.

Funny, my custom 87 on 87 beats my canned 93 on 93.
Thanks for the info. Next fill up I will give it a try.
Well I ordered mine when they were rushing to catchup. So... eh
Old Thu, September 23rd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Forum Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunboy2208 View Post
Thanks for the info. Next fill up I will give it a try.
Well I ordered mine when they were rushing to catchup. So... eh
Yeah, but like I said, take your time to make sure you have the right amount of advancement. That is one of the adjustment that could have expensive consequences.

Maybe that but as Bill says, every truck reacts differently. What works for one doesn't always work the same for another.
Old Fri, September 24th, 2010, 02:13 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Also, if you don't completely FILL your tank with 93, you are running a mixture that has an octane rating somewhere in between. Longshot's advice to start with +1.5 degrees of advance is a very good idea in this case. (If you were "half and half", you'd be burning 90 octane gas.) Later, when you fill up again, you'll be a lot closer to a true 93 octane mixture.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer