Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Lonestar Legend

LonestarROB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick View Post
If you have a programmer, we don't recommend a CAI unless you do a lot of heavy towing and need to monitor cylinder head temps. The gains you get with a CAI are superseded by the programmer and aren't cumulative.

Many of our customers, in fact, have contacted us recently to rewrite their tunes because they have removed their CAIs.

Underdrive pulleys are usually the only other thing that Bill recommends. You could do e-fans, but he says they're not all that terrific. (His exact words.)

Hope this helps!
Hey Corey,

As much as I want to believe and trust Bill, I just don't feel it because I've witnessed it first hand. Truck is by no means "dead", but I just don't feel the same power/performance since Bill recommended I remove my CAI. That's why I've come to the point where I want to make changes. Do anything really, even if it only adds a small amount of HP gain. Something is better then nothing.

Want: CAI(aFe? ). efans. 4:10 gears. Throttle body spacer. New custom tune/s. Under drive pulleys.
Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

The information is based on dynoing trucks with and without CAIs and programmers.

If you would still like to go ahead with a Cold Air Intake, we like the Air Force One.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Lonestar Legend

Whats Bill's opinion on the aFe CAI?

Want: CAI(aFe? ). efans. 4:10 gears. Throttle body spacer. New custom tune/s. Under drive pulleys.
Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Whopper

Skip_1074 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarROB View Post
Just more opinions and/or options I could do that would open up more power. I'll update my sig now with what I have going on now.
Look into the Banks Ram Air.
"Stupid Plastic Snorkle Delete" (a.k.a. Gotts Mod)
Line-X bed & Highway Products "Silverback" toolbox
Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 03:29 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Why do you want a TBS? Does your truck have a carburated fuel delivery system?

- Jack
Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Lonestar Legend

I've just read that it help add HP. Not much but..

Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

There is also a placebo effect of the CAIs when they are tuned. By itself the CAI makes the truck run a little bit lean. A lean engine has a higher power output than a rich running engine. When you get a custom tune you are not compounding the power because your truck is getting the same performance tuning AND getting recalibrated for the intake. If you made 1/4 mile runs before and after I can almost guarantee the times would be very close.

And the throttle body spacer is only going to act like an intake manifold extension (and a comparatively puny one at that). You also risk having a leak at the spacer that could cause vacuum issues. Read the EPA reports on them. Even the Environmental Protection Agency says they are a dud. Spend money on the pulleys before you try the spacer.

I have heard that you can swap intake manifolds with some of the mustang 4.6s. Theirs are designed for more top end power because mustangs dont pull trailers regularly. I would even look into that before getting the spacer. If it will work find a junkyard 'stang and pull it off of that. Will probably be cheaper.
Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
"I don't like it. They have a history of being noisy. Honestly, I'd do K & N, Air Force One. Those are the two that have had the least amount of driveability issues and noise."

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Lonestar Legend

Thanks Corey. I've been looking at the AirForce 1 and it seems to have been discontinued for my year/model truck.

Old Thu, January 27th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Bacon King

DarkShadowSTX is on a distinguished road

Just to throw it out there, I took out my K&N CAI and did the Gotts mod in my 08 4.6L. I took it off because I couldn't stand the drone anymore, it was driving me crazy. I feel a much bigger difference in performance with the Gotts than I did with any of my custom tunes and K&N. I'm also getting at least .5mpg better also. I reset my Gryphon and am currently running the canned tow tune. My truck has better power now than it did with my custom 93 perf tune. Now I'm waiting for my 87 perf tune to be rewritten, time to wait again. lol The Gotts mod was the best and cheapest thing I have done to my truck. Too bad I didn't know about it before I had bought my CAI.