Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sun, March 8th, 2009, 10:39 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
Question Mysterious miss

To begin with I haven't had time to install gryphon or ud pullys yet.

This morning had wet slushy snow and about 30 f. Drove 15 miles went and ate lunch. Truck was parked and off. After eating went to mail letters had the truck in 4x4 and in 2nd, continued to target approx 1 mile after post office by the time I got into parking lot the engine was shaking like it wasn't firing on all 8 (no cel came on either). Parked the truck went shopping for 45 minutes. Came back out of store praying truck would start and it did, ran fine all the way home. No cel and no problems. On the way home ran it in d and 4x4.

Did something get wet and dry out?
Something else going on?

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 10:31 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

It really DOES sound like something "wet", doesn't it? Sure doesn't sound like "limp mode", not if you didn't get an overheat warning.

I know these engines are very sensitive to water in the vicinity of the plugs, but if a truck can't stand a little slush, well sheesh!

I'm sure stumped.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Your Mom's favorite :D

Grabber523 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
It really DOES sound like something "wet", doesn't it? Sure doesn't sound like "limp mode", not if you didn't get an overheat warning.

I know these engines are very sensitive to water in the vicinity of the plugs, but if a truck can't stand a little slush, well sheesh!

I'm sure stumped.

- Jack
If you pulled codes on it it would probably have some in there for cylinder misfires, even though it didn't trip the CEL. Have you changed the plugs on it yet?
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

No plugs or cops changed yet.

Only 23K on truck mostly highway miles

If the gryphon were hooked up could it pull them or does have to see them as the pcm does

Lars

Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Your Mom's favorite :D

Grabber523 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
No plugs or cops changed yet.

Only 23K on truck mostly highway miles

If the gryphon were hooked up could it pull them or does have to see them as the pcm does

Lars
If the PCM see it, the Gryphon should...just because you don't have a CEL doesn't mean there aren't codes stored in there.
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 08:42 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber523 View Post
If the PCM see it, the Gryphon should...just because you don't have a CEL doesn't mean there aren't codes stored in there.
Right! Go into the "Diagnostics" menu (or something like that). It should show any codes you have thrown. And - change your "Alerts" to tell you if even ONE code has been thrown. I think, the default setting on this is three codes.

Alerts is a pretty neat feature, once you get used to it and learn what should be an alert and what shouldn't.

- Jack
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

jimmyv13 is on a distinguished road

With my Edge, I didn't see all of the codes that the Ford tech brought up...there were 2 or 3 4x4 codes that came up when my vacuum module crapped the bed and the Edge never showed them. The Edge only showed the P0171 code for a lean condition from a bad COP. Any idea why it would see certain codes and not others?

Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 10:39 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Thanx Jack and Grabber523

This will give me more incentive to get the gryphon hooked up and running.

Lars

Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 11:25 PM
PHP Groupie

No Clue Here Bill - Any Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv13 View Post
With my Edge, I didn't see all of the codes that the Ford tech brought up...there were 2 or 3 4x4 codes that came up when my vacuum module crapped the bed and the Edge never showed them. The Edge only showed the P0171 code for a lean condition from a bad COP. Any idea why it would see certain codes and not others?
No, I have no idea at all. I think this is a question for the Mad Doctor! Bill - HELP!

- Jack
Old Tue, March 10th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

jimmyv13 is on a distinguished road

I also wonder if it will be different as a Gryphon?