Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, March 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

jimmyv13 is on a distinguished road

A note from Corey in the pkg said the tune was loaded. BTW, I took a 159 mile trip today in tune 1 and got 17.1mpg @ 77mph.
Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Ford F150 FX4

way2qk4u2c is on a distinguished road

Ok so after a week of riding around... it seems that my mpg is better than before. Its not hard to get 15 in the city now. I was usually around 13-14.

The only thing i notice is it seems like it takes forever to get into O/D like i have to really be going over 50mph (sometimes 55mph) and maintain that speed while messing with the pedal to push it into O/D

I havent tried level 2 yet to see if the same issue resides.

I would assume my custom tune is loaded already- since that is what was the delay in the upgrades.
Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 11:12 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

You can adjust the O/D shift points in the Custom Options, if you want. I've reduced the upshift and downshift speeds by the maximum amount (I think it's -5) and I get into O/D in the 40+ mph range if I'm not doing any kind of hard acceleration.

Of course, Bill may have adjusted your shift points for a more aggressive power curve from a standing start, and he knew I didn't want that.

- Jack
Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Ford F150 FX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
You can adjust the O/D shift points in the Custom Options, if you want. I've reduced the upshift and downshift speeds by the maximum amount (I think it's -5) and I get into O/D in the 40+ mph range if I'm not doing any kind of hard acceleration.

Of course, Bill may have adjusted your shift points for a more aggressive power curve from a standing start, and he knew I didn't want that.

- Jack
Very good info- i might reduce it alittle.
Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 11:35 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c View Post
Very good info- i might reduce it alittle.
Sure - it doesn't hurt to try. I reduced ALL my shift points and, all my TC lockup points by the maximum amount too. This only effects part throttle acceleration. It has no effect on WOT acceleration. I find that having the shift and TC lockups set the way I've done it, the truck seems to flow very nicely with other traffic, and I never try to beat anyone to the next light.

- Jack
Old Tue, March 31st, 2009, 08:24 AM
Ford F150 FX4

Alright so i went into the programming and changed my 3-4 shift (std shifting) to -2 and it did nothing for me.

The O/D doesnt kick in until 55mph and above. Should i worry about this or leave it alone?

I drive alot of 40mph speed limits all the way to work and its not in O/D the whole way.

I didnt see any TC options to set in there?
Old Tue, March 31st, 2009, 09:23 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

I think you are gonna need Bill to tweak your custom tunes at this point if you could not get the tranny where you wanted it with the changes you made
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Tue, March 31st, 2009, 09:50 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c View Post
Alright so i went into the programming and changed my 3-4 shift (std shifting) to -2 and it did nothing for me.

The O/D doesnt kick in until 55mph and above. Should i worry about this or leave it alone?

I drive alot of 40mph speed limits all the way to work and its not in O/D the whole way.

I didnt see any TC options to set in there?
I'm pretty sure you can reduce the 3-4 upshift and 4-3 downshift by -5. That's what I did. (I also changed the 1-2, 2-1 upshift/downshift to -2, the 2-3, 3-2 shifts to -3). Those are the maximum changes we can do.

I'm VERY puzzled that you don't have Torque Converter choices in your Custom Options menu. As I recall, in my unit, it's the next choice below the shift options? You and I have nearly identical Gryphon's (your's might be a little newer - mine is a converted Edge).

I think southpaw's right though, your custom tunes sound like they have the shift points way up in the rpm/speed curve (for more power) and I don't see how you're going to get the 3-4 upshift below 50. Bill CAN adjust those shift points down if it's really what you want. Even though I'm older than you, I don't really drive like a Grandpa. My truck accelerates easily with other traffic and I have no trouble accelerating faster if I want.

I just had a thought though. What's your gearing and tire size? It may be that you really don't want the O/D on much earlier than it is. (As I recall, when mine kicks in and the TC locks, the RPM is about 1100, and you probably would not want it much below that).

- Jack
Old Tue, March 31st, 2009, 10:12 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

1100RPM? that's pretty low for a gasser... how far into the throttle do you get before it unlocks. I would think the engine would lug pretty bad if you tried any acceleration with the rpm's that low on a locked TC
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Tue, March 31st, 2009, 11:41 AM
Ford F150 FX4

Well i have the stock 20in rims from factory on my truck with stock tires.

Im not sure what that cooresponds to the gryphon becaus ei think i saw my tire size listed as 2760 i think- im not exactly sure by memory.

my gear ratio i dont know that either off the top of my head but i think i saw it in the gryphon set as 3:73

I have a edge converted to gryphon as well

Yeah around 50mph my rpms are at 1800 and once i hit 55mph i have to work at it to push it into O/D and then they go down to about 1200 rpm

Yeah i have no option for TC control at all