Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sat, February 14th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Whopper

pullmeoverred is on a distinguished road
Default Gear woes...

Dear brain trust,

I've got a 06' 5.4L 4x4 with the 3.55LS, and now it's got 275/60/20R cooper zeons to deal with (32.99") which has robbed it of a decent amount of performance. I've been searching for a few days now on this forum and other f150 forums for what my best option would be. So far the vast majority of responses I've gotten have reccomended I buy a grypon (which I've been considering already) and rolling the dice on my extended warranty of 5 yrs 75k (I'm at 25k). Only two people have suggested regearing and my Ford dealer basically thought I was a mental case for asking them if they could install them for me. I've accepted the fact that my knowledge on this subject is severely lacking. I'm not a total lead foot, but I do enjoy performance. I work with one of your customers (glockwinger) and he giggled like a school kid when he got his custom tunes. I'm intrigued...

Is your Gryphon the answer? Or should I be looking at new gears? Or both?

Thanks, Aaron
Old Sat, February 14th, 2009, 06:10 PM
addicted

kokopellimotorsports is on a distinguished road

Custom tunes will make it more responsive and give you some more power. Do you tow with it? If so what and how often. I know bill can make the tune with more low end torque and power, this should help.

Ty

Tuning is addicting. Lol.
Old Sat, February 14th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Googlemiester

seeleyra is on a distinguished road

Awwww, just go ahead and re-gear AND get the Gryphon! Whoo Hoo!
Old Sat, February 14th, 2009, 09:49 PM
AAA Rib Steak

Chris74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopellimotorsports View Post
Custom tunes will make it more responsive and give you some more power. Do you tow with it? If so what and how often. I know bill can make the tune with more low end torque and power, this should help.

Ty
agreed...........and the gears will be great but only go with them if and when you feel you need them. All depends on your budget
Custom tunes
Old Sat, February 14th, 2009, 09:51 PM
AAA Rib Steak

Chris74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeleyra View Post
Awwww, just go ahead and re-gear AND get the Gryphon! Whoo Hoo!
Seele: What kind of affect did the 4.56's have on your fuel economy........on average? Did it really drop off?
Custom tunes
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Whopper

pullmeoverred is on a distinguished road

No I really don't tow that often. 3 or 4 times a year, a car trailer 20 miles or less and the occasional ice house about the same distance is all I'll tow. That was why I wondered if the gears would be worth it at this point. Plus the programmer seems to be a bit easier to conceal from the stealerships. Well maybe I'll do a little spit ballin' and pull the trigger on the Gryphon in a week or two.
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Googlemiester

seeleyra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris74 View Post
Seele: What kind of affect did the 4.56's have on your fuel economy........on average? Did it really drop off?
Not really a differance at all. In town I average anywhere between 14.5-15.5, and I have had it almost to 19 on the highway taking a trip up I95. I only did it to compensate for the 35's. The real differance is in my speedo which is waaaaaay off! LOL. Soon as I get my Gryphon back that will be straight. I'll keep you posted on the economy after the tunes show up.
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Double Whopper

AgentOrange is on a distinguished road

Check the link out below...there's a couple of formulas you can use to determine the correct gear ratio and the RPM range for your tire size.

http://www.4x4offroads.com/gear-ratio-chart.html

2005 F150 King Ranch SCrew 4x4
Flowmaster SIDO exhaust
DIY Ram/CAI
Electric Fan
Leveled w/ 20" wheels
3.73 LS
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 10:55 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

And, I qwould not worry much about voiding your warranty. Just make sure you program the truck back to stock EVERY time you take it to the dealer and, of course remove the Gryphon and it's mount from the dash - it's really easy!

Unless you tell the dealer you've tuned it, I doubt he'll even check for this.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, February 16th, 2009, 12:16 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

What was the stock wheel on your truck?

Why I am wondering, the size my truck has on it is stock for 20" wheels from Ford. They are 275/55/20 they are the same height as my spare which is 18" wheel. This is what is called +2 sizing. Changing the rim size and profile of the tire. But what everyone forgets is the wheels add more weight to get going and to stopping. Now your size is 275/60/20 not much different than mine maybe 1/4" taller. I run 3.73's for gears and really no problems. While reading this thread researched stock sizes and if you started out with the 235/70/17 and 3.55 gears and did a +3 sizing from the 17" wheel then there should not be any performance loss.(During the +3 sizing if the tire runs out sidewall while maintaining total height then a +2 should be done to maintain true height) But some where along the way oversizing came into play then performance is lost and other purchases such as gears then mods. The other place the mfg plays around with gearing in the transfer case. Oh yah if your truck did start with 17's on it might want to look into bigger brakes, the rotors might be to small for 20's.

Sorry if I gave you an info overload!

If you love the wheels go with the gears and the tuner that's only if they are oversized. If it's a +2 situation go with the tuner(started with 18" stock wheels + tires. Just remember if your pulling and the tires are over sized the tranny getting an extra work out.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.