Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, January 26th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Oilfield Trash

dmjackson76 is on a distinguished road
Default Check engine light

I have an 05 Screw FX4 & the check engine light is coming on now. I ran the diagnostics thru my gryphon & I am getting the P0453 Evaporative Emission control system pressure system high input error. Does anyone know how to fix this? I have read elsewhere that it could be an electronic connection on the fuel tank, but I am not sure how to fix etc.
Old Mon, January 26th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Whopper

blackfx4ny is on a distinguished road

This is interesting to me as last night when I started my truck I pulled P0451 which is also some sort of Evaporative Emissions something or other. I just cleared it and drove home. I thought my fuel cap wasn't on tight enough or something.
Old Mon, January 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I kind of like blackfx4ny's response. Check the fuel cap. Clear the code and see what happens.

The P0453 is "Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit High". The P0451 is "Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Range/Performance (offset)". So, they both relate to the fuel tank and sensors there. Sensors can always be faulty, so if the problem continues, they could be the cause. Or, the pressures in your EVAP system might be out of spec and the sensors may just be doing their job. Regardless, I wouldn't be too concerned unless the problem continues.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, January 26th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Oilfield Trash

I have been having this going on for a while now. So unless my cap is bad that can not be it. The first time I got it checked @ a parts store I did not have my Gryphon & was told that it was the oposite of a loose gas cap. Anyway it doesen't have an effect on the way the truck runs. Just curious if anyone else had this problem.
Old Mon, January 26th, 2009, 11:03 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I'll check Oasis tomorrow and see what we can come up with. There may be a TSB or something that'll provide some insight. If not, at least I can check the diagnostic procedure for a fix.

Stay tuned...

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, February 5th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Oilfield Trash

Hey Bill did you have any luck on the code?
Old Thu, February 5th, 2009, 06:02 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjackson76 View Post
Hey Bill did you have any luck on the code?
I'm not Bill, of course, and I'm certainly no expert, but Janet's former Toyota had a check engine light on once upon a time. Turned out it WAS the gas cap. It's become a somewhat complicated device now - it has to vent properly to prevent starving your engine of fuel, and, it has to release pressure into the charcoal canister to prevent pressurizing the system when things warm up.

I haven't looked at the price of gas caps, but you might give that solution a try, especially since the parts store gave you that diagnosis.

- Jack
Old Thu, February 5th, 2009, 11:26 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Not yet. I'm waiting to get in touch of my buddy at Ford to see if we can't pull an Oasis on that DTC. I've been having a little trouble getting in touch and I think he might be out this week.

What little I could find seems to indicate that the failure lies with the pressure switch itself, and not the fuel system/gas cap, although I wouldn't rule out gas cap just yet.

I'll try him again on Monday and see if I get anywhere.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!