Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sun, November 30th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Bacon King

svt2205 is on a distinguished road
Default First Post

Let's get this first post over with...

Let the fun begin.

So, I have an 07 F150 5.4, 4x4, 3.73 with 55K on the clock. It has the usual delay or hesitation to it. Would custom tuning eliminate this? What else could I expect from the tuning? My truck has a cat back and a slightly taller tire. Other then that, it's as Ford built it.

Thanks
Old Sun, November 30th, 2008, 10:24 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all
Default My first post here too!

Good first post question!

I'd say YES to the elimination of hesitation by having a custom tune. In fact, the first thing I noticed when I bought my Edge (that has since been converted to a Gryphon) is that the hesitation was immediately cured.

Other benefits you'd gain are the ability to make your truck's speedometer read correctly for the larger tires and, indirectly, your shift points would be where they should be according to speed. Custom tunes will put those shift points where they should be for the effective gear ratio you have now with the larger tires.

You'll get a horsepower increase and probably somewhat better gas mileage too. Add to that the ability to monitor things like transmission fluid temperatures and battery charging voltage, etc. and you have a pretty worthwhile mod. All told, I would not give up my Gryphon for anything.

- Jack
Old Sun, November 30th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Whopper Junior

black hole is on a distinguished road

What Jack said X2!! Plus your truck will be WAY more fun to drive and it will also shift SO much nicer. :jawdrop:
Old Sun, November 30th, 2008, 02:54 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Jack, you've pretty much covered it. Not much I can add there.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, November 30th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

johnnyd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Good first post question!

I'd say YES to the elimination of hesitation by having a custom tune. In fact, the first thing I noticed when I bought my Edge (that has since been converted to a Gryphon) is that the hesitation was immediately cured.

Other benefits you'd gain are the ability to make your truck's speedometer read correctly for the larger tires and, indirectly, your shift points would be where they should be according to speed. Custom tunes will put those shift points where they should be for the effective gear ratio you have now with the larger tires.

You'll get a horsepower increase and probably somewhat better gas mileage too. Add to that the ability to monitor things like transmission fluid temperatures and battery charging voltage, etc. and you have a pretty worthwhile mod. All told, I would not give up my Gryphon for anything.

- Jack
You'll definitely noticed better power performance hands down but as far as gas mileage goes, well, lets just say good luck on keepin' your foot out of it

After having the Gryphon, I wouldn't give it up either.
Old Fri, December 5th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Cali Gestapo!

Caforddude is on a distinguished road

I also have a 2007 F150. I have had the Gryphon for a few weeks now with the canned tunes and can only say it made my good truck great. Acceleration, shifting etc are all better. Can't wait till my custom tunes come in as I expect it to be even better.
Old Tue, December 9th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Bacon King

svt2205 is on a distinguished road

Good to know that tuning will fix some of the flaws Ford gave us. Now, how does this monitor mount up? I see the plastic housing, but how does this attach to my dash. And I've not looked yet, but do they come colored to match my factory dash?
Old Tue, December 9th, 2008, 07:04 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The dash mount is injection molded to fit the dash and is colored the same silver-gray as the dash. They did a really good job at color matching when designing the pod. It snaps into place and comes with two small brackets and velcro for more secure fastening to the dash. Most people don't bother to use the brackets as the pod grips the dash quite well.

The toughest part of the installation is removing the dash side panel in order to gain access for cable routing. In some cases it is possible to route the cable without removing the panel, but for a cleaner installation removal of the panel is best.

Other than that, everything else is straightforward. The only thing to remember is to have the ignition key in the ON position with the engine NOT running. The programmer needs to be able to query the PCM and determine what the calibration filename is so it can properly program the PCM.

It is also important to note that if you need to disconnect the battery for any reason (or have a dead battery), it is always recommended to unplug the programmer from the OBD-II port. The reason for this is because when the batter is reconnected (or charged), the unit will reboot and try to query the PCM. Since the key is most likely not going to be in the ON position at this time, the programmer will time-out on the data request and not get a valid calibration. The unit will still function correctly as a monitor but the next time you go to program the vehicle it will fail, indicating that the current PCM is not supported. If this should happen, don't worry. Simply turn the key to the ON position with the engine NOT running, unplug the cable from the OBD-II port, and then plug it back in. The PCM should be correctly identified and programming functions will now work properly.

Hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, December 9th, 2008, 09:45 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I've found the easiest way to remove the side panel is to simply stick my finger into the AC duct hole in it and pull it out. I think it may come off slightly easier once you do it the first time too.

- Jack
Old Fri, December 26th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Double Whopper

Dfishrmn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
The dash mount is injection molded to fit the dash and is colored the same silver-gray as the dash. They did a really good job at color matching when designing the pod.
Just a thought on this. The color match is good unless you have the tan interior, then if you want it to match you'll have to do some seaching to find a match that does not cost $50 a can. I found some at Gladwin Paints that is real close but not exact. It would be good to offer that color as an option if possible. Other than that small detail the Gryphon is a great unit that would not give up for anything.