Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, June 8th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Black Jack

f150Stang is on a distinguished road
Default Similar TQ issue?

Hello all – I just got my custom tunes about two weeks ago and have not changed anything from what Bill programmed – previously ran canned tow tune for about 3 months with no issues at all (except for minor shudder on 1-2 shift not present in stock program or in the new 87 performance tune)

Anyhow, just took a trip to the Ford Carlisle show this weekend using the 87 performance tune – got to see the new Mustang, Raptor and Taurus…all very awesome! I noticed a shudder that felt like a miss for about 1-2 seconds a couple of times – for instance, while using cruise control on a back road at around 50mph, I would be going down a hill and when the hill started to level out and go back up hill, I would get the shudder – I believe this was in OD. On the bright side, I did get 19.5mpg including some town driving and A/C!

To let you know – 2006, 5.4, 3:55 gears. Any suggestions for things to adjust and what to adjust too? – is there anything I should monitor?
Old Mon, June 8th, 2009, 11:27 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I've simply never felt the "shudder", so I have no idea what causes it or even what it is. You said you thought the OD was on (probably so - I'm sure you'd remember turning it off). Do you recall if the Cruise Control was on?

There's a bit of "slop" in the cruise control, where, if coasting down hill and moving faster than the set speed, the TC will be unlocked. Then, as you reach the bottom and level off, the speed will drop which will relock the TC and start to feed in throttle. But, it will probably slow a bit below the "set" speed before this happens. Then, as you start going up again, the TC will probably unlock due to speed reducing again and throttle being applied and that tends to happen after a reduction slightly below the set speed too. If the hill is steep enough, the throttle input to keep the speed up will command a downshift too, and it will then likely speed up to a higher speed than the set speed. All this unlocking, locking and shifting, could cause what you describe as "shudder" I suppose.

I dunno - I tend to think of "shudder" as being similar to the feel you get from a slightly unbalanced wheel. Is this what you're feeling? Or, is it more like the rpm is hunting back and forth as it would do if the TC were locking and unlocking rapidly over and over?

My questions are simply directed at getting a good description of the symptoms to Bill. I really know nothing about fixing "shudder".

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 05:08 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
Question

I am glad to see you are getting some good mpg's.
I am begining to wonder if this might be HEX code related.
Hopefully Bill can chime in on this thread or the one I started.
My HEX is TEJF1P5

Lars

Jack that shudder feels like those stop sign warning strips without the noise.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 09:02 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

OK, a rapid vibration, right?

I remember back in my early days with an Edge, people were complaining about a "tranny shudder" and this was something that Edge cured with a firmware or calibration update (I can't remember which). I never got it, so I sort of forgot about it when people stopped complaining. This new one sounds like it's somewhat related (to me at least). I'm sure Bill will be able to figure out how to cure it.

It's hard for me to visualize anything in the powertrain that would suddenly start "vibrating" at given speeds though. An effect like that is usually a harmonic feedback from something that's out of balance.

- Jack
Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Black Jack

My Hex code is TEJF5P7, so it appears to be a similar family to yours Lars.

The cruise control was on, and yes, it was in overdrive.

I believe it may be the TC rapidly locking and unlocking for about 1-2 seconds.

My shudder is not as aggressive as you explain though - infact my passengers did not even notice, but I could! It feels exactly like a miss from a Coil Over Pack (but that is not what it is!) just for a moment though and then everything is alright.

It is so short and "soft", almost barely noticable, but I was just worried that it could cause harm to something in the transmission or TQ.

Other than that, I have not had any other issues and am very satisfied.
Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 09:56 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Well I put up a notice in the moderators area and Corey has responded to it. So hopefully by the end of today we will get our questions answered?

Lars

Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Double Whopper

Location: 2nd star to the right, straight on 'til morning(Ohio)
SubiGT is on a distinguished road

My shudder happened both before and after the Gryphon, in fact, it's one of the reasons I got the Gryphon. It is much more pronounced with the AC on, but it still occurs with the AC off. I have set the PID's to monitor input vs. output RPM's, and observed no change while I felt the shudder occur. My TFT never gets above 153, and I'm getting 18+mpg on the canned 93tune. I'll monitor and adjust the various transmissions settings once I get the 87perf tune that I'm waiting for.
Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Whopper

08F150 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubiGT View Post
My shudder happened both before and after the Gryphon, in fact, it's one of the reasons I got the Gryphon. It is much more pronounced with the AC on, but it still occurs with the AC off. I have set the PID's to monitor input vs. output RPM's, and observed no change while I felt the shudder occur. My TFT never gets above 153, and I'm getting 18+mpg on the canned 93tune. I'll monitor and adjust the various transmissions settings once I get the 87perf tune that I'm waiting for.
Do you have lots of milage on your truck? Have you ever serviced the trans? I have worked on many fords over the years that have a 4r70w trans and have convertor shudder issues. Feels like going over some washboard road, usualy occurs when the torque starts to lock up at light throttle. Most of the time its cured with a simple trans flush with the proper oil. The additives in the oil breaks down after time not allowing the converter clutch to apply smoothly. Just be sure to do a complete flush.
Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Black Jack

I only have 28k on the truck and recently changed the trans filter and refilled using ford merc V.

I do not have this issue in stock or canned tow.
Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 04:58 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Only 25K on mine. Filter and flush done at 20k.

No problems at stock level zero. My shudder happens with the CC(cruise control), coasting function and sometimes setting function. Nothing yet with resume. As per Bill added +5mph to tq tip in and this did not help.

Lars