Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1994˝ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1994˝ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped F-Series and F-Super Duty

Old Fri, October 16th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Double Whopper

bamboo is on a distinguished road
Default Low ICP? and P1211 code

Hey guys.. so trucks been acting funny, And finally got it hooked up to a scanner, this is what I get
At Idle
RPM:610
APP: .82v
ICP: 613
IPR: 15%
Inj. Pulsewidth: 1,6ms
MAP: 14.25
And this it at WOT all on extreme setting
RPM:27-2800?
APP: 3.67 / 4.17
ICP: 2300 / 2465
IPR: 38% / 39%
Inj. Pulsewidth: 3.6 / 3.9
MAP: 26 / 27

The second number was the second run we did.. both in 4th gear WOT

Questions are.. why such low boost? Due to the low ICP i'm hoping?

Sent Bill an email already.. but if its not solved with tuning, what can be done

Mahalos for any info
-Patch

Last edited by bamboo; Fri, October 16th, 2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old Fri, October 16th, 2009, 11:50 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo View Post
Hey guys.. so trucks been acting funny, And finally got it hooked up to a scanner, this is what I get
At Idle
RPM:610
APP: .82v
ICP: 613
IPR: 15%
Inj. Pulsewidth: 1,6ms
MAP: 14.25
And this it at WOT all on extreme setting
RPM:27-2800?
APP: 3.67 / 4.17
ICP: 2300 / 2465
IPR: 38% / 39%
Inj. Pulsewidth: 3.6 / 3.9
MAP: 26 / 27

The second number was the second run we did.. both in 4th gear WOT

Questions are.. why such low boost? Due to the low ICP i'm hoping?

Sent Bill an email already.. but if its not solved with tuning, what can be done

Mahalos for any info
-Patch
15% IPR at 613 PSI seems a little high to me.
I don't know what ICP Bill commands in his higher HP tunes, but the stock "desired" ICP maxes out at 2500 PSI anyway.

The IPR duty cycle doesn't make sense to me. If the ICP was lower than desired, the % would be at least 54% since that's the stock programming's max value it can go to to try and maintain desired ICP.

Your boost levels aren't that low....12/13 PSI isn't bad for a early Powerstroke especially if you're running stock injectors and a stock 1.15 A/R turbine housing.
ON EDIT:

I see you have AD injectors. If you're still running the stock 15 degree High Pressure Oil Pump, there's going to be an issue there for sure. You are running out of high pressure oil. It would also explain the 15% IPR at an idle. The boost seems a little low, especially with the SD turbocharger you say you're using.

It still doesn't explain why the PCM isn't commanding more IPR duty cycle.
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 01:03 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

What I find odd is that all the stuff looks good, but stock. Also, if ICP is low to the point it's setting a P1211 DTC, the IPR should be sky high and it's not. Very strange indeed.

I'm re-running the calibration through the calculator to see what we're commanding. The tables show a fair bit higher (2850 - 2950 PSI) so I think something is up. Still working on a solution and should have some answers in a little bit.

Stay tuned...

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Double Whopper

ok I have a interesting factor to add im not 100% sure but..

Changing my fuel filter tonight, Lights beaming, so Start it up to check for leaks.. Nice looks clean every thing is good, But then I notice some smoke by the downpipe, passenger side valve cover appears to be cracked/leaking

Dubya Tee eff does that mean? Could that be my low boost, and lack of oil pressure ? definitely leaking oil, Like a blind man I missed it

I feel stupid, and Ticked, I Never had this issue before my injector swap, This isn't the first time I changed my filter at night..
So tomorrow ill get the degreaser and a flashlight and find out if its really cracked or what.. But I took a video with the lights if any body is interested

One thing after another
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 08:10 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo View Post
ok I have a interesting factor to add im not 100% sure but..

Changing my fuel filter tonight, Lights beaming, so Start it up to check for leaks.. Nice looks clean every thing is good, But then I notice some smoke by the downpipe, passenger side valve cover appears to be cracked/leaking

Dubya Tee eff does that mean? Could that be my low boost, and lack of oil pressure ? definitely leaking oil, Like a blind man I missed it

I feel stupid, and Ticked, I Never had this issue before my injector swap, This isn't the first time I changed my filter at night..
So tomorrow ill get the degreaser and a flashlight and find out if its really cracked or what.. But I took a video with the lights if any body is interested

One thing after another
An exhaust leak before the turbine is probably the most common "lack of boost" culprit.

If you're leaking enough high pressure oil to cause drivability problems, it's not going to be a seep or small leak...your truck will resemble the Exxon Valdez.

Oh and "one thing after another" is just something that goes on once you start modifying things. It's just part of the game.
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

I have set the P1211 3 times now running on the 100HP tune. they all came under hill climb at acceleration at a mile high or higher. showing 31-34 Manifold absolute pressure. not sure what Bill has the trigger points for the code set at but it was about 61-65inHg on my AE scan. Bill I am open to ideas if you have any... Just haven't got around to looking at the issue. Cleared the codes with AE.. problem solved

I actually missed seeing what my boost was but my gauge was showing above 20PSI when I glanced up at it...

EDIT: I just remembered i wrote down the DTC results from the last occurance on my BlackBerry but didnt put down the rpm throttle data etc as i was driving at the time
p1211
IMAP 64.6 hg in
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
An exhaust leak before the turbine is probably the most common "lack of boost" culprit.

If you're leaking enough high pressure oil to cause drivability problems, it's not going to be a seep or small leak...your truck will resemble the Exxon Valdez.

Oh and "one thing after another" is just something that goes on once you start modifying things. It's just part of the game.
Ok, Its leaking, and I'm probably low on oil now, But its not pouring out..

basically this small crack couldn't cause much of an issue?, Besides making a mess and making me have to replace it..?
sadly I was hoping this would be my main issue!

Got to Pay to Play I guess ? But come on a leaky valve cover?!

here it is.. Any other way to maybe seal this? Or should I order a new gasket/cover?

Last edited by bamboo; Sat, October 17th, 2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old Sat, October 24th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Double Whopper

So got me a new cover and changing it today, any body know torque specs on the cover bolts?

hoping I dont have to take the intercooler tubes off

Thanks
Old Sat, October 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

ChuckD will become famous soon enough

If I am not mistaken 12-18 ft lbs.
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown
Old Sun, October 25th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Double Whopper

Mahalos Chuck!

Do you or any body know if its Normal or OK to have Oil in the UVCH? connectors ? that go in the V/C gasket