Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Wed, April 29th, 2009, 04:53 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

Ok, got out for a test drive this afternoon... the up down shifting issue is gone on both the tune Cody sent me and the one I made. both r are good except both and I even noticed it a bit in the 80HP tune what the the on mild acceleration the Torque Converter is a bit too firm when it locks. still tugs a bit when it locks in 3RD gear ONLY.... so need to figure out how to soften that one lockup then will be good to go.

The other tranny tune I did locking in all gears turned out to require a lot more pedal to move the vehicle than the other 2 tunes that i test ran so I think I would have to change the RPM to Mass Fuel Desired level and maybe the inferred pedal position to get it to work right... also the 1-2 and 2-3 were pretty harsh so need to soften those too... do i lengthen the lockup time or the slip time? it i want the converter to be locked as soon as it upshifts? ill try that later
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's

Last edited by soutthpaw; Fri, May 1st, 2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old Wed, April 29th, 2009, 06:06 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I'm glad you got it figured out.

If you're still having issues with the firm TC lockup, look at the torque table in the RPM range in which it's giving you fits. I didn't mess with that map at anything above 2000 RPM if I recall...and it's pretty close to stock there along with the Lockup DC%.
Old Wed, April 29th, 2009, 08:05 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

Edit: I answered my own question regarding Pedal position and it didn't work just gave me DTC for low throttle position etc

Last edited by soutthpaw; Wed, April 29th, 2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old Thu, April 30th, 2009, 12:27 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

You have a PM, DJ.
Old Thu, April 30th, 2009, 11:00 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

Ok spent some more time looking at the various Timing maps for The different tunes... The stock tim ing map seems to be a lot more complicated than the ones Bill is using in his tunes... I am guessing there was some software engineer at Ford that had nothing better to do.... My guess is they were running the engine on an Dyno and tuning the Timing and other factors to get the lowest emissions vs power output???

Anyway the one thing that stood out is that a lot of the stock timing curves seem to drop around peak torque and then rise again then taper off at high RPM after peak HP... Is there a reason for the drop around the 1600 RPM range as I am wondering if I need to preserve that in doing the altitude timing?

Also should the Advance come on later the same or earlier with the higher altitude?

Am I asking too many Questions???

Last edited by soutthpaw; Fri, May 1st, 2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old Sun, May 3rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

Well I got a chance to play a bit an made changes to the Altitude maps for each tune's injection timing... seemed to work good so did some more tweaking with the maps and just loaded another set to run and see how they work...
the I got the Fuel Sipper Tune working real well with the modified shift points and using the stock TC lockup map etc... nice and smooth... Didn't get to agressive with the timinng for now.... Kinda want to wait on Bill's thoughts as I am sure you have done a fair amount of High Altitude tuning....
Need to test where I get excessive smoke before changing the Low boost fuel... took it down slightly on the 100hp just to see what happens
Old Sun, May 3rd, 2009, 08:39 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

DJ,

It's great that you're getting to look at what is going on here and making changes that work for what YOU want the truck to do. That's the whole point of custom tuning.

Nobody would care about custom tuning if Ford made the trucks the way they SHOULD have been built but weren't. Although, the engineers had emissions standards they had to meet to make the ECO-NAZIS happy while making a truck that wouldn't tear itself in half in less than 36K miles.

Good job, DJ, I'm glad that you're getting closer to your goals!
Old Tue, May 5th, 2009, 04:53 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Where have you ended up, DJ? Any updates on your progress? Are you happy with what you have developed on your Fuel Sipper tune?

Inquiring minds want to know. Have you figured out the dead throttle when cold yet or can I give you a hint?

Old Tue, May 5th, 2009, 05:18 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

I just PM'ed Corey and she is gonna bug Bill to give us his input here... I did take a trip to Denver on Sunday with the Fuel Sipper tune and it was good.. gassed up at 18.1MPG. The throttle is more responsive now in that tune.. as for the Dead Throttle I didn't find the fix though I believe there is a setting for min trans temp or oil temp before the throttle will respond??? I tried increasing the Throttle pedal travel by grinding off the metal stops on the pedal and it just gave me errors over 90% or under 10% then the engine did not want to respond to the throttle so welded the metal back on and reset it to stock and its fine.... not sure why it only has a range of 10 to 86%. Again I think there is a setting to trigger high and low throttle position... not sure if it would make a difference if floored showed 98% instead of 86% though??/
Old Tue, May 5th, 2009, 08:12 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

DJ,

In order to not give away Bill's tuning expertise and secrets, I have "trimmed the fat" on this screenshot. This is the program in question vs. stock. Can you decipher WHY there is a dead pedal while the engine is cold all else being the same? The answer lies in these two maps.

Keep in mind that 40 degrees "C" is equal to about 100 degrees "F" and 100 degrees is a very cold engine and the actual additional pulse width above stock does not start to get multiplied until the engine temperature is above 22 degrees C (72 F). I don't know what the weather is like there but I haven't started the engine yet with the ambient temperature above 55 degrees and it takes a good while for the oil temperature (what the fueling is based on) to get to temperature.

Oh and as far as your data goes with APP percentage....what does the VOLTAGE say? The highest readable voltage that the PCM can compare to ground is about 4.75-4.8 volts. The software you are using may base 100% on a full 5 volts which is giving you the problem you are seeing.