Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

AZFX4 is on a distinguished road
Default Got my Gryphon today. Few questions.

So I got home and tada my package is here!

I work late so it's dark and I'm going offroading in the morning so I'm going to wait to install it til Sunday when I have all day. Which is super hard as I want it in NOW!

Anyways here's a few questions I have.

1. I thought I had read somewhere that the new Gryphons has a newer pod style which is grey and has a rubber insert? Mine is the black plastic and I see no rubber insert anywhere? Is this a old style?

2. What would the best way to paint my pod to match my interior? I have a 03' F150 with the grey leather interior. My interior code shows H2.
— Medium Graphite <-- this is what I googled up.

How do you prep it to paint it?

Where is the best place to get spray paint to use that is the same color?!?

Can Homedepot or someone mix up the color that is in a spray paint can?

3. What all is suppose to come with the Gryphon? I was really hoping for a sticker or two so I could show it off and show my support but no stickers. I got a pen and magnet. I would of ordered a sticker with my original order if I knew they didn't come with them.

That's all. Can't wait to get it installed and go try it out. I'll be emailing my HEX code and the other info ASAP.

Thanks, Ryan
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Bacon King

XPerties is on a distinguished road

Hey bud,

I'm no help regarding your questions but I just had a few comments and a question of my own.

How long did it take for you to get your package from the date your order was placed? I'm only wondering how their work load is as I'm waiting on my order.

Also, regarding the install, it only takes a few mintues to set it up. Now as far as your paint, I would go to your local ford dealership and get the exact match. They have it in cans and it cost (in my area) about $10-$15 bucks. I would sand the pod down with fine grit, use clean paint prep wipes to wipe it down, put 2 or 3 coats of dupli-color "Adhesion Promoter" on. It's a primer, made for plastics and helps your paint tack properly to the plastic.

Then I would spray 3-4 light coats of paint, let dry and then 3-4 coats of clear coat. Allow 24 hours to dry and always do light coats. I do the above on all interior and exterior plastics and it holds up really good. Others might have some opioions to drop in but the above works for me.

The clear coat and adhesion promoter/primer can be found at pep-boys or any automotive store.

Now regarding the black rubber insert, when I bought my edge it had it in but I'm not sure if PHP sells different setups since I ordered my edge from another place then sent it in to PHP to be upgraded to a Gryphon.

Also not sure about the stickers. My edge came with a sticker but I sure hope PHP sends stickers out or looks at making them up for customers.
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 09:59 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Hi Ryan -

Your's is the "older" model Gryphon. The "new" ones don't work on pre-04 model year trucks. One of the changes, in addition to changes in the electronics, was the design of the pod. You have the correct pod for your Gryphon.

Finding a commercial source of pre-mixed paint to match your interior (the dash) is going to be about impossible. I don't think it exists. Edge actually used that pod with the newer model Evolution for a while and it was what I had at first. I tried several colors, and finally found a medium metallic grey that looked OK. But, a custom paint shop could probably mix a rattle can of paint that would match, and it wouldn't be TOO expensive. I think you need to go to a place that paints cars for this, not Home Depot. You might have to take some part of the dash off, so they could analyze the color, but that would be about it.

The pod takes paint very well. I just washed mine off with 409 and then, after rinsing it well, wiped it down with 91% isopropyl alcohol, which you can find at a drugstore (don't get the 70% "rubbing alcohol" - it can contain some oils). I used DupliColor spray and had no problems at all.

I don't know that there's any set list of extra "goodies" that come with the Gryphon. Corey likes to surprise people with these things and it's possible the choice is random, or, is based on what they have on hand at the time.

Regardless though, I think you're going to enjoy what the programmer does for your truck!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 10:07 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

XPerties - we seemed to be posting at about the same time. Your delivery time will be longer than Ryan's. He ordered a Gryphon from PHP - it is immediately sent out with the "canned" tunes. You are having an Edge upgraded. In addition to recasing your unit and upgrading the firmware, Bill will write the tunes you ordered and install them before shipping it back - this all takes longer.

I'm interested you found interior paint to match at the dealership. Other people don't seem to have any luck with this. Exterior paint, yes, but interior paint, no.

The pod CAN certainly be sanded and prepped the way you suggest. I simply found it was not necessary.

- Jack
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Gotcha!

Thanks.

I would think clear coating the pod would make it more shiney than the actual interior is this correct?

I guess I can go and try to find a dealer and ask if they have the grey interior spray paint and hope for the best!!

And thanks for answering everything. I can't wait to put it in!!! But I figured, wait til after hitting the trail then install it in the sun and not at dark lol.
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Bacon King

XPerties is on a distinguished road

JackandJanet - You are right on the exterior paint. I was misleading when I posted, actually typed faster than thinking about what I typed. The dealerships would only have exterior but I have taken trim pieces into a local body shop and they mixed the color in a rattle can for me as you previously stated.

Regarding my order, I understand it's going to take longer and I'm patient, just figured I would ask.

AZFX4 - Doing a clear coat would make it shinny but I figured you had leather and some detailing on the leather makes it shinny...lol

Your dash tho, that's not leather is it? I would want to match the dash VS the seats.

F150 05 5.4 XLT, Nitto 295/70/17, Dual Flowmaster, Gryphon w/ Custom Tunes
K&N CAI, HBS 2 1/2 Level Kit, Blackout Heads w/ 8K HID's, Tinted Tails & 3rd Light w/ LED's
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 12:21 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPerties View Post
JackandJanet - You are right on the exterior paint. I was misleading when I posted, actually typed faster than thinking about what I typed. The dealerships would only have exterior but I have taken trim pieces into a local body shop and they mixed the color in a rattle can for me as you previously stated.

Regarding my order, I understand it's going to take longer and I'm patient, just figured I would ask.

AZFX4 - Doing a clear coat would make it shinny but I figured you had leather and some detailing on the leather makes it shinny...lol

Your dash tho, that's not leather is it? I would want to match the dash VS the seats.
There are "satin" or "semi-gloss" clears that might be fine if the color coat didn't have the correct gloss. I doubt you'd need to do it for "protection" though. The pod is just not likely to get any kind of wear and tear in its location.

- Jack
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

In the past on 7.3L pillar pods, we've used flat paint to match the dash. You don't want to clear-coat it because it will completely throw the coloring off.

To prep... a little lacquer thinner on a lint free towel (most dense bond paper towels are fine) and wipe quickly and allow to air dry. It may haze a little which is fine. Always remember that the pod is plastic and prolonged exposure to lacquer thinner will soften the plastic. A quick wipe is all it takes to remove any surface oils and provide a good base for paint adhesion.

I will tell you that in all the years we've done pillar pods, paint wear wasn't a big issue. Paint scratching is another matter entirely.

Hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM

So where do you think is the best place to find a grey spray paint that might match pretty closely?

I went to a Ford dealership and they were closing and the guy didn't know if they had interior paint, but they had exterior paint. Parts shop was closed...

I suppose a body shop is the closest, but I would think it would be expensive?

Just find a flat grey?

I was hoping to get er' done tomorrow but isn't looking good!!
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 11:29 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Prep work for plastic that I have done is just "dawn" dish soap, wash it and then rinse 3 times.
A lot of flat grays will be close to matching.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.