Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, December 25th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Whopper

bamagrad00 is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust

I am wanting to replace my stock exhaust. What do you guys recommend? I have a Evo that has been upgraded to a Gryphon on the way to my doorstep. I am not concerned with the sound as much as I am performance. I would like dual pipes 45'd out the back. True duals or SIDO? What kind of tips? Any opionions are appreciated. I am not too familiar with exhaust so please talk like to me like a 1st grader LOL.
Old Fri, December 25th, 2009, 10:46 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

What's your budget?
You can spend anywhere from $80-$1800!
What do you want?
Just a cat back?
No adjustments needed in custom tunes.
Tru duals?
Need adjustments to custom tunes due to bottom end torque loss.

Need more info to give you a better plan of attack.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, December 26th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Whopper

no budget really

i think I have decided on a cat back. Like I said before, I am looking for performance, not how loud it is.

So what would be the best?
Old Sat, December 26th, 2009, 07:19 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

In order to help retain low RPM torque, you want to avoid full dual exhaust systems as the decrease in back pressure tends to cause a loss in low to mid RPM torque. A good cat back, Single In/Single Out or Single In/Dual Out setup is a good way to help pick up a little power on the top without killing the lower RPM. Magnaflow is a good combination of price and quality, and is probably the most popular brand with the F-150 crowd.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, December 26th, 2009, 07:20 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Here's magnaflows web site:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ayproducts.asp
Heres a roush kit:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...=mode+matchall
By DarrenWS6:
For a cat-back swap only, I also would suggest the Roush Off-Road. I still wish I had gone with it. The best performing exhaust is a 3" single for these trucks, with a 3" single tailpipe or dual 2.5" tailpipes.

One of the absolute best set=ups would the the Dynatech LT setup with Magnaflow hi-flow cats and Y pipe ( avail. as kit for $1400 from Troyer ) to a 3" single exhaust with a straight through muffler.

I noticed a little loss when I had my 2.5" true duals done. I had to have the sound though. True duals is not a good performance exhaust unless theres a cam and supercharger to back them up, otherwise stick with 2.25" for better scavenging. I couldn't bark the tires from a WOT punch after I got my exhaust, was able to again when I removed my rear converters, and i'm able to leave a couple black dashes with the Gryphon lol.

In general terms, my suggestion would be run 3" from the Y to a straight through muffler of some type ( Magnaflow, Roush kits, Bassani, Borla.. ) end quote.

Magnaflow probably makes the best kit and or components on the market right now.

Last edited by 88Racing; Sat, December 26th, 2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old Mon, December 28th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Whopper

That is great info!! Thanks so much. I have researched these 2 and had narrowed it down before your answers. What would you suggest?: buy the muffler and let the muffler shop put the pipes in or buy the whole cat back and install myself. It does not look very hard and have access to a welder if needed for the tips.
Old Mon, December 28th, 2009, 09:26 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagrad00 View Post
That is great info!! Thanks so much. I have researched these 2 and had narrowed it down before your answers. What would you suggest?: buy the muffler and let the muffler shop put the pipes in or buy the whole cat back and install myself. It does not look very hard and have access to a welder if needed for the tips.
Yes you can buy just the muffler and have an exhaust shop do the piping.
Try to find exhaust shops that use mandrel benders.
The other thing is I don't know if its a big deal or not but your stock exhaust is stainless steel. If you do go with a shop they are going to probably install aluminized tubing which will only last 2-5 years depending on where you live.
Going to a shop with a muffler and tips already bought you can save youself some money over the price of a kit.

Now my friend runs an exhaust shop and charges $75 to install exhaust kits.

I did my truck with 2 different kits, didn't like the sound of the first kit and yes they are pretty easy to do by yourself but you need some skills and sometimes the kits need tweeking or hangers added/relocated.

I would just go start getting prices at 2 or 3 shops and keep in mind what the kits cost.
Just remember both the kits I gave you links to are full stainless steel kits with mandrel bends.
Old Mon, December 28th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

From what I have seen in the past is usually cheaper to have an exhaust shop do it rather than buying a kit. I generally buy the muffler and take it to them unless they want to do a price match. And on the plus side you have everything welded in, instead of clamped.

Down here I really have no need for stainless since we never see salt in the winters...but if you do see salt in the winter then stainless is what you want.
Old Tue, December 29th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Whopper

Went with the magnaflow kit. I got it from autoanything for 435 with the discounts they gave me. That was the best price. I am going to try and install myself and then tack the tips on. Thanks again for all the advice.
Old Fri, January 1st, 2010, 12:18 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Good deal! You won't be disappointed. The kit is pretty easy to install with the hardest part being fitting the pipe around the axle. You'll want to lift the rear end a bit to get more clearance between the bed and axle. Also, make sure you use jack stands to hold the truck up. Safety first!

Take pics. We could use a good thread on exhaust installation.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!