Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > General Vehicle Related Topics > Performance Modifications and Other Conversations

Performance Modifications and Other Conversations This is a place where we can have real, honest discussions about all things performance related.

Whether it's power adders, engine parts, configurations, injectors, tuning, or whatever else you can thing of, let's talk about it!

View Poll Results: What CAI are you running?
AFE 27 9.64%
Air Force One 10 3.57%
Airaid 19 6.79%
Banks 9 3.21%
K&N 73 26.07%
S&B 21 7.50%
Other 60 21.43%
Volant 22 7.86%
I don't have a CAI. 39 13.93%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sat, November 28th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

ChuckD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
So do I.

The CAI doesn't actually increase airflow into the engine, but more to the point it removes the restriction.

Think of it this way... Try breathing through 3 feet of garden hose. Under most circumstances, you'd probably be able to breath just fine, but exert yourself a little bit and suddenly that little bitty hose isn't going to cut it. You simply can't get enough air to meet the increased demand.

The stock airbox on the F150 is more than adequate to meet most airflow demands of the vehicle. The only place it falls short is the tapered end of the snorkel that is routed into the fender. It tapers down to about 75% of the size of the rest of the airbox. At low to moderate speeds it's not an obstruction, but as you get up over 3500 RPM under heavy throttle it starts to become an issue.

Most folks have found that by simply removing this piece you can see a noticeable increase in performance in mid to high RPMs, and best of all... it's free! That's my kind of price.

Hope this helps.
I did this on the Expy but instead of leaving it open I had a rubber bellow from some boat stuff in the garage. I put over the end and the other end fit up against the inner fender. Not quiet as snug as I would like but enough for it to work well. I am pondering on putting a 6637 in there and making my own tubing though.
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown
Old Thu, December 3rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
Royale With Cheese

bennykeith is on a distinguished road
I drive a 2007 F150 KR 5.7l. I did the Gotts mod and noticed a difference right off with an increased responsiveness to the accelerator pedal. It was pretty simple to do and took about 45 min. and cost four bucks. I drove it for two weeks and had zero problems. Now I've got a K&N 63 series CAI and gained even more responsiveness and it seemed to opened up the truck up at higher rpms a little. I haven't had a lick of trouble with a drone just a slight whistle periodically and it made my Magnaflow cat back system sound much better for some reason. I guess more flow more go. I just received my UPS tracking number for my Gryphon so now I feel like a kid again waiting for Santa.
Old Fri, December 4th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Nothin' Stock

majek5 is on a distinguished road

Napa 6637 with a 4" aluminum 45 from the EBAY! Looks massive!
Old Sat, December 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Whopper

grassman2852 is on a distinguished road

Just did the gotts mod a couple of days ago. Very good throttle response especially at WOT. I was planning on getting a K&N but I think I will stay with this for a while. Hopefully I receive my gryphon soon.
Old Fri, December 25th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

AZFX4 is on a distinguished road

I got the Airaid CAI..

It's the steel tubing. I thought it was that plastic, sometimes I wonder how much the heat in AZ really affects it.
Old Mon, January 25th, 2010, 07:09 AM
redneck newbie

f150fan is on a distinguished road

Can you add gotts mod to the list when you get time?
Old Mon, January 25th, 2010, 07:16 AM
redneck newbie

f150fan is on a distinguished road

Did the gotts mod a few days ago. Got the parts list from f150.net. Lowes has all the parts for about $12.... Cheap enough to try for a little while. I can tell a difference at WOT. Good pics on here for the mod. There are several variations to it. Depends on what you like the best. I went with the downspout connector through the fender.
Old Sun, January 31st, 2010, 09:38 AM
Whopper

08stx is on a distinguished road

Roush CAI for me
Old Mon, February 15th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Whopper

strokin'_tatsch is on a distinguished road

6637 here. not sure what i will run on my F150, but i'm sure i will end up building something b/c i'm going to be running the intake to the opposite side of the truck due to the the fact that the typhoon upper intake is for stangs and so it doesn't have the throttle body in the same place. haha. gonna have to mount the battery on the other side i guess or loop the intake around so it will work on the driver side. LoL
Travis-- Death Row Diesel Inmate #7
1995 Ford F-250 regular cab long bed PSD
MODS- 6637, TE modded 17*, Rosewood 160/80's, Tony's tunes, HPX, 120v IDM, 3" DP to 5" stacks, CPR fuel system, DRD traction bars, ISSPRO EV2's, scan guage, VALAIR full ceramic clutch, Midwest short throw shift kit

381hp/870tq
14.32 @ 97mph

Old Sun, February 21st, 2010, 05:44 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch View Post
6637 here. not sure what i will run on my F150, but i'm sure i will end up building something b/c i'm going to be running the intake to the opposite side of the truck due to the the fact that the typhoon upper intake is for stangs and so it doesn't have the throttle body in the same place. haha. gonna have to mount the battery on the other side i guess or loop the intake around so it will work on the driver side. LoL
Since your going to be looping that intake all over the place you might as well try to fit a turbo in there somewhere...actually they do make stuff like that. lol
Squires Turbo Systems - Universal
That video just makes it look so easy.