Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed, April 7th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Whopper Junior

in2kelp is on a distinguished road
Help 7.3L ECONOLINE VAN performance help

I have a 2001 E350 7.3L Econoline Extended Cargo Van with 74K that I have converted into a "camper van". Basic paneling and insulation throughout, 5 inch suspension lift with 285/75R16 BFG tires for the many miles of dirt roads my wife & I explore. 3.55 gears. Current maximum cargo loads are basically mountain bikes, climbing/camping gear, 12 gallon water tank, house battery and interior improvements: perhaps 600 pounds plus the two of us.

We currently do not tow but *might* tow a jeep in the future.
I have installed a full set of isspro pillar gauges (pyro, boost & trans)
I understand that due to space constraints the vans do not have an intercooler. EGTs max out on long steep grades going 70 mph on I-15 going through the Mojave desert at 1200 with a typical range of 800-1100.

I would like to optimize and improve the performance of the van. I am not looking for a race truck; just sometime with better drive-ability and fuel mileage while maintaining reliability.

What do you recommended? What is the difference between something like the SCT flash tuner and products from PHP? A few shops in my area recommended the SCT but my research seems to point to the many satisfied customers at PHP....Also, as of Jan 1, 2010 a smog check is required for my California van. So whatever I do must not throw modified codes or needs to be easily return to stock every two years.

I am also considering a 4 inch exhaust with a hushpower muffler and FTE resonator. Any experience on how that would effect EGT's? Performance?

There is no cold air intake upgrade for my van that I have found. I have opted for two replacement K&N filters. Can't say that I noticed the difference. One diesel mechanic suggested I modify/cut the 90 degree stock air intake to allow more flow but I am concerned with sucking up snow or water into the system.

Here is a link to some pictures of the van build and how it is used:
Picasa Web Albums - Steve Kazakos

You ideas are welcome!

Tags
7.3l, diesel, econoline, ford, van