Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > The Starting Point > Events

Events If you have a truck/automotive event happening in your area, please let everyone know.

Old Tue, December 16th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

johnnyd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Quite honestly, I don't see how anyone survived! It's a bit of a reminder that, as much as we'd like them to be, our vehicles are NOT "toys". And, while driving can be fun, it is NOT "play".

Boy, I'm really sounding like an "old fart", aren't I?

- Jack
I'd have to say someone was watching over them
Old Tue, December 16th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

ChuckD will become famous soon enough

I was talking to Bill today and he told me about that and I told him bout my mother in law. Here is a picture of her 08 Jeep Liberty that she took off a cliff at Mingus Mtn. She got 4 broke ribs and 6 staples in her head and was bruised up pretty good. She had the hand of God with her, bad part is she dont realize the second chance she has been given. http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/s...1e6790452.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0944.jpg (63.5 KB, 7 views)
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown
Old Tue, December 16th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Wow. What can you say about that? I don't know how anyone can walk away from that and not know that there is a reason they survived -- and change!

In May 1992, I was in school for graphic design (I'd always wanted to be a teacher, but had decided against it due to the fact that teacher's don't make squat!) and I managed an art gallery on Long Island. One night, I was standing on an 8' ladder hanging a sign in the front of the store. The last thing I remember was feeling the sensation of the ladder tipping and thinking I'm going to fall. The next thing I knew, I was surrounded by a zillion people, and I was asking where all the blood was coming from. I also remember calmly telling everyone that my arm was broken.

In the hospital, I found out that the ladder, itself, had fallen and taken me with it as I was stepping up onto the next-to-the-last step. Think about it this way: most ceilings are 8 ft. tall. It would be like standing on the ceiling and falling face first. YUCK! I had a broken left wrist (I was in a cast for 10 weeks), and all the blood was coming from the gash in my chin (that actually broke the hinged part of the aluminum ladder!) where my skull was now visible, the chunk of the inside of lower lip that was now shredded by my teeth, and the multiple cuts around my mouth. Luckily, when they found out it was a Worker's Comp case, they called in a plastic surgeon who did an AMAZING job!

Anyway, over the next 2½ years, I had three different bilateral surgeries on my jaws (when my hair is pulled back, it looks like I had a facelift! ) and hours and hours of physical therapy. I was told that if the gash in my chin had been 1/8" in either direction, half of my face would have been paralyzed. And honestly, I have no idea how I didn't, literally, break my neck since my chin hit the ladder and must've snapped my head backwards.

After all was said and done, I actually felt very lucky! I decided that as bad as I was, there was a reason that I survived it -- and that's when I transferred colleges and pursued teaching! Ironically, I was able to handle extra credits -- and student teaching full-time -- because Worker's Comp was paying me. How's that for funny? I wouldn't have been able to do it otherwise because I would have had to work during the day! May 6, 1992 was certainly a life-changer for me -- physically, emotionally, economically, and spiritually.

(Oh BTW, we found out after the fact that ladder's feet didn't sit flat on the floor -- the aluminum was bent -- which is why it fell!)

Chuck, I really hope that your mother-in-law somehow "gets" it, too. I'll be praying that she does!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Tue, December 16th, 2008, 10:22 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
I was talking to Bill today and he told me about that and I told him bout my mother in law. Here is a picture of her 08 Jeep Liberty that she took off a cliff at Mingus Mtn. She got 4 broke ribs and 6 staples in her head and was bruised up pretty good. She had the hand of God with her, bad part is she dont realize the second chance she has been given. http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/s...1e6790452.html
Sometimes, people just don't recognize how fortunate/lucky/blessed they really are. Can't do a whole lot about that, can we?

There ARE some pretty treacherous roads in our State, aren't there?

- Jack
Old Tue, December 16th, 2008, 10:27 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Corey, I keep finding things out about you!

All I can say here, is that I'm glad you're still with us and that I've gotten to know you (at least on the forums).

- Jack
Old Wed, December 17th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Glocks and Goldwings

glockwinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick View Post
In fact, he told me, 'Dad, maybe we shouldn't tell Mommy about this'." :omg: They grow up so fast, huh?
That is one smart kid! Probably brought a tear to Bill's eye

They know when Mom has a tendency to get upset. My little guy has said similar things when we were doing "guy" stuff. Glad all are ok.