Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Hydra Chip 17-Position Chip

Hydra Chip 17-Position Chip The Power Hungry Performance Hydra Multi-Position Chip is the industry standard for the 7.3L!

Redesigned from the ground up, the Hydra Chip provides Ford owners with a feature packed,
high quality, and low cost alternative to other existing modules on the market today.

Old Thu, January 20th, 2022, 01:44 PM
Whopper Junior

Flagracer is on a distinguished road
Default sudden lack of of connection?

Hello all. I got a Hyrda approx 6 months ago and the install and programming went perfectly and the truck ran fine since then. Just the basic 4 codes for a 97. Recently I started it on a cold morning to warm up for work. As I walked away from the truck it died suddenly. I restarted it and drove to work fine. I went out at lunch to start it to keep it warm and now it cranks but no fire. That day I did the Cam sensor because I figured it was quite old and hoped that's all it was. No help.

Now I notice there is no light on the control pad, no numbers are lit. I have removed the housing completely and cleaned all connections multiple times and tried the alternate cable/head unit for the pillar. I have checked all the fuses and all are good. How do you determine if the Hydra itself is bad? Or if power is going to the computer to even get to the Hydra? I've looked at the pin outs on the web and can't see a specific power wire labeled as such if there is one.

thanks for any help
Old Thu, January 20th, 2022, 03:15 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Hydra gets power from the PCM. If it's not lighting up, it's possible the Fuse to the PCM is blown. If it is, the most common cause is that the fuel bowl heater is shorted out. Disconnect the pug to the heater, replace the fuse, and then see if the vehicle starts.

Let me know if this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, January 20th, 2022, 05:55 PM
Whopper Junior

Thanks. I did get a call from support. I have to remove the chip and see if it fires up without it, I wasn't sure that was safe. I did rebuild the entire fuel bowl about 4000 miles ago. I have to plug her in and test it after work tomorrow.
Old Sat, January 22nd, 2022, 12:55 PM
Whopper Junior

Sorry for the delays. The truck now has two dead batteries that don't seem to be taking a charge in the sub zero weather so I have to swap them out. Hoping tomorrow.
Old Sun, January 23rd, 2022, 11:58 AM
Whopper Junior

Batteries replaced and no fire yet with the chip removed. Going to wait for warmer weather as the fuel could be gelled. Stay tuned. It could be a few weeks as MN is currently in a deep freeze.
Old Mon, January 24th, 2022, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

PHP Ward is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the update. Let us know what happens.

-Ward