Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Tue, February 23rd, 2010, 04:25 AM
Bacon King

DarkShadowSTX is on a distinguished road

I have been wanting to upgrade to a gryphon, so would my truck not throw the code with the gryphon? I know its probably a longshot but I figure maybe my PCM might work better with the gryphon for some reason. Also I wanted to get custom tunes but I will hold off until I know for sure that I don't need to get a reflash. If I get a reflash, that only affects custom tunes correct?
Old Tue, February 23rd, 2010, 08:16 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Yep.
The reflash only effects custom tunes.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sun, February 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Bacon King

One more thing. I am going to send in my Edge to PHP for a Gryphon with canned tunes tomorrow and I have read, I think it was somewhere on F150online, that for an upgrade you should get it insured. Does that mean get insurance from UPS for the cost of the Edge or what else would it mean? I have sent out 3 Xbox 360s to Microsoft before for repairs and not had them insured with UPS and had no problems but maybe I was just lucky. Anyway, I really appreciate all your help with everything. Thanks.
Old Mon, March 1st, 2010, 05:20 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Why PHP recomend's insuring the edge is because you never know?
Fairly cheap to insure it over the cost of replacing it.

Old Mon, March 1st, 2010, 05:28 AM
Bacon King

I agree. Thanks. Now is the best time for me to upgrade because its winter and I can't use the tunes anyway because of all the snow and ice and safety reasons. By upgrading now, I will already have a Gryphon for when I get my custom tunes, whenever I find out if my PCM has to be reflashed to fix my code issue.
Old Mon, March 1st, 2010, 05:38 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Your custom tunes will come back on your upgraded edge that has been upgraded to the gryphon.
You can still use the custom tunes in the winter because no matter what time of year it is, the new strategies are better for your truck than what the factory put in.

Peace

Old Wed, March 10th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Whopper

Roller is on a distinguished road

I joined this forum solely to reply to this thread. I have an 07 STX 4.6L and I am in the exact same boat as DarkShadowSTX. I get the same error code. It always happens right off the line from a dead stop. Warm or cold, doesn't make a difference. All of the custom tunes with the Evo also make the gas pedal super sensitive. Just the slightest movement makes the truck lurch forward.

For the fun details...I used the 93/performance tune for several months and did my best to avoid the error code by babying the throttle off the line. Once off the line I have no worries and therein developed the real problems. At 18,000 miles I had to get an entirely new transmission. It started with a whine sound coming from the rear end then a few weeks later the transmission light lit up on the dash. Put it back to stock, removed the pod and took it in to the stealership where they reported back that the bearings were compacted and the entire tranny was shot. They replaced it free o' charge with my warranty but now I am VERY hesitant to tune it again. As it is now the Evo is simply a digital monitor on my dashboard.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, when I tuned it to 93/performance I had all kinds of problems with the P061F error. One thing that seemed to help was resetting all the sensor parameters by unhooking the battery for 10 minutes or so. It seemed like it helped but it still produced the error every now and again, just not as often. I have talked to a lot of people(mechanics, car nuts, etc.) but none have solved the issue as far as the error and gas pedal sensitivity go.
Old Wed, March 10th, 2010, 10:47 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

In 07-08 Ford did change the sensitivity setting in the hex calibrations. So now I'm wondering if the canned tunes are amplifying it?

Old Thu, March 11th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Bacon King

Roller, did you only have the problem when you were in the 93 mode? Also how often were you running in in 93? I only ran 93 for 1 tank and I would always run it in tow mode the rest of the time. Did you always have the code pop up from the day you got your Edge? I never got the code until the weather got colder and even then it was hit or miss.
Old Sat, March 13th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Whopper

Roller is on a distinguished road

The code appeared in all the tunings from day 1. I ran 93 for a few months and most problems occurred in that tuning. However, I had issues in all 3 tunings. Overly sensitive gas pedal, the throttle actuator controller error and the transmission crappin' out.

DarkShadowSTX, have you noticed any change in the sensitivity of the throttle with any of the tunings?