Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Hydra Chip 17-Position Chip

Hydra Chip 17-Position Chip The Power Hungry Performance Hydra Multi-Position Chip is the industry standard for the 7.3L!

Redesigned from the ground up, the Hydra Chip provides Ford owners with a feature packed,
high quality, and low cost alternative to other existing modules on the market today.

Old Thu, October 25th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Whopper Junior

cps is on a distinguished road
Default Custom calibrations

Does having 80hp modified stock split shot injectors qualify as heavy mods and i would need custom tuning?
Old Thu, October 25th, 2012, 08:34 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Yes and yes.
Old Thu, October 25th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Whopper Junior

Cost wise, is there any benefit if say you need custom tunes, to get the Hydra over the phoenix since each tune has to be customized for the mods? Or is the advantage of the Hydra just more space for more tunes?
Old Fri, October 26th, 2012, 07:55 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

The Hydra, as far as tuning goes, will use the same tuning that the Phoenix does. From an outside-looking-in perspective, the only difference would be the switch and the amount of different tunes. On our end, the difference is that every chip is an FU (what we used to offer for "burn it yourself" products) and that it takes immensely less time to actually program the chip.

The reason for custom tuning in your case is that even though "80 horsepower injectors" tells us nothing specific about any modifications that have actually been made to the injectors and being as they're still split shot, my guess is that you just have larger nozzles (how much larger is anyone's guess because any company that rates their injectors by a horsepower gain won't tell us how large the nozzles and capacity are). It's possible that we may have to write the tuning a couple times to get it just right. My guess is that the truck currently idles a little rough and the accelerator pedal is a bit touchy.

Basically, if the injectors have larger nozzles and we use tuning for stock injectors, the pulse width becomes so excessive that (for all intents and purposes) a 40 HP tow tune for stock sticks becomes a 60-70 HP tow tune. Additionally, the 100 HP gain of which stock injectors are capable will be about the same gain that you'll see from your injectors....but that gain will come with a lower-horsepower tune and an actual 100-120 horsepower standard calibration will not add any more power but will smoke a ton and cause your injection pressure to absolutely flat-line at a dismal value.

This might not make any sense, but it's early (time to go hunting) and I'll come back later to answer any specifics you might have about what I tried to convey this morning.
Old Fri, October 26th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Whopper Junior

Thanks for the response, and yes the truck idles slightly rough but liveable, but the throttle is fine. What i would like to accomplish with a tuner is no smoke, smoother idle and more power with better EGT control. I forgot to mention that i do have a Banks 100hp chip which gives more power but with the associated smoke(not alot but but i think it can be reduced). I want more selective control over the power. The PO put alot of the mods on this truck so i have been slowly changing them to my liking. As for the injectors, from what i was able to find out was they were done by Diesel Dynamics (out of buisness) so short of pulling them all had having them flow tested, not really sure. I did find out from the shop that installed them they were "80hp modified" but that was all they could tell me. If we have to go back and forth a few times with tuning so be it. Need to get my new turbo back and see how she runs first. Good luck hunting. Roy
Old Fri, October 26th, 2012, 12:34 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by cps View Post
What i would like to accomplish with a tuner is no smoke, smoother idle and more power with better EGT control.
Time to go back to stock then .