Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Wed, February 3rd, 2021, 07:43 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all
Default 7.3 Carnage.

I rebuilt a 7.3L for a guy about a year and a half ago. It turns out that the engine had been rebuilt ALREADY just before this guy bought it.

I'll post two pictures here and let someone take a crack at what caused the failure. This was a 1000% non-fixable block as you'll see. What was the root cause of the failure?

Good luck. Winner gets.....well......to say he guessed the cause.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190622_161929.jpg (404.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20190623_065342.jpg (294.5 KB, 31 views)
Old Wed, February 3rd, 2021, 11:47 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Aren't the valves supposed to be in the Cylinder Head, not the top of the piston?

My initial guess would be bad seat pressure on the springs which caused valve float. Or possible, trying to run an exhaust brake which again caused valve float.

As you indicated, that block is scrap at this point!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, February 4th, 2021, 06:31 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Yes, the valves in that particular cylinder are supposed to be in the head, not the piston.

However, they did not travel from their home due to any issue listed.

A couple more pictures:
Cylinder 6 was the initial failure and as you can see, the block is cracked at the 2 o'clock position in #6 (picture rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise) and cylinder #8 that ate some of the chunks (#6 wasn't selfish and decided to share), cracked the cylinder wall at the 2 o'clock position as well. That whole section of the block was BROKEN all the way to the lifter bores. The tuning that was flashed to the PCM long before I ever saw this thing...well...it was HOT. But that's not why it failed.

The answer will be revealed a bit later but here's another hint: There is a reason the cylinder heads were pictured side by side and keep in mind that this engine was recently remanufactured.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190622_161956.jpg (349.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20190622_161920.jpg (292.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20190622_161935.jpg (474.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by cleatus12r; Thu, February 4th, 2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old Thu, February 4th, 2021, 02:10 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Did they spin it too fast for too long?
Old Thu, February 4th, 2021, 06:55 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Oh, it looks like the intake and exhaust valves are swapped on the one head.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Thu, February 4th, 2021, 07:05 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

BINGO!

They are the same diameter and length. The seats are cut at different angles but they'll still seal. The problem? The margin becomes too narrow and the valve material is WAY different. The exhaust valve is an inconel alloy and the intake is something ferrous that is way less heat resistant.

You win, Bill!
Old Thu, February 4th, 2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
BINGO!

They are the same diameter and length. The seats are cut at different angles but they'll still seal. The problem? The margin becomes too narrow and the valve material is WAY different. The exhaust valve is an inconel alloy and the intake is something ferrous that is way less heat resistant.

You win, Bill!
Thanks. I was trying to look at the pics on my phone earlier. Couldn't make out much detail. Now that I'm on the computer, it's much more evident.

Now with that said, maybe they confused the head with a prototype reverse-flow setup. LOL

(678) 890-1110

Old Thu, February 4th, 2021, 08:45 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

At least one head was assembled correctly and able to be salvaged.

I bet it made one heck of a racket when it let go. The guy was pulling a trailer up a pretty good hill when it quit running.
Old Tue, November 28th, 2023, 11:07 AM
Whopper Junior

jimcricket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
At least one head was assembled correctly and able to be salvaged.

I bet it made one heck of a racket when it let go. The guy was pulling a trailer up a pretty good hill when it quit running.
curious, were you able to get the mfg/rebuild shop to cover the cost due to incorrect build?