Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > F.U. Chip & FU2 Flex Chip (DISCONTINUED)

F.U. Chip & FU2 Flex Chip (DISCONTINUED) If you have a question or comment relating the new F.U. Chip or FU2 Flex Chip, post it here.

Old Wed, April 29th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Bacon King

Diesel Rookie is on a distinguished road
Question Questions about Order Form

Hey guys I am currently filling out my order form for the FU chip and had a couple of questions. I figured I should try the forum before I call the PHP office.

I am new to the tuner world so forgive me if these are no brainers. (Last daily driver was a 1969 Chevy C10)

First Where do I find my PCM Hex Code? I was looking around the computer module and did not see it and I am not exactly sure what I am looking for

What is the difference between the 60 HP and 80 HP fuel sipper settings. I do some freway driving (California to Iowa this summer) which one would be better with my setup?

I want at least one crazy fast tune that works with my setup so I can smoke some little import cars for fun? What would work with my rig without destroying it. 100 race/daily or 120 race

What are the weights for the moderate and light tow? I am pretty sure I will stay in that range but want to make sure.

For the daily drive settings I am assuming they are for around town. What is the difference between the 65, 80, 100? Are they intended for different driving styles or is it nothing more that HP ratings?

As soon as it is done I will be sending it in.

Sorry the list is so long but any help would be awsome. I want to have fun but make sure I don't destrolish my truck.

Thanks
Joe
Old Wed, April 29th, 2009, 01:00 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

"Destrolish" Never heard that one before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Rookie
First Where do I find my PCM Hex Code? I was looking around the computer module and did not see it and I am not exactly sure what I am looking for
It's located on the PCM in two places. First (and easiest) is to use a long telescoping inspection mirror. The code is located on the outside-facing portion of the PCM connector. Stick the mirror down between the PCM connector and the inner fender below the brake master cylinder. You'll have to read backwards, but you'll see an alphanumeric number that consists of three letters and a number. For example, "VDH5". Yours might be a CA emissions truck so it won't be that particular one. The second way is to actually remove the PCM and see it there or on the back of the PCM J3 port cover. If you are going to remove the PCM to see the code, then you might as well take the PCM apart and clean the contacts at that point.....and some people like to cut a hole in the plastic mount where the chip goes for easy removal and installation.

Quote:
What is the difference between the 60 HP and 80 HP fuel sipper settings. I do some freway driving (California to Iowa this summer) which one would be better with my setup?
The difference is going to be felt when you stand on the skinny pedal. Basically it boils down to how much fuel you're going to be feeding it under heavy acceleration. With an "economy minded" tune, there's really no sense in standing on it, right? If you're running empty either program will work fine.

Quote:
I want at least one crazy fast tune that works with my setup so I can smoke some little import cars for fun? What would work with my rig without destroying it. 100 race/daily or 120 race
Anytime you increase the power output of the engine, the risk is greater that you'll hurt something. Using the power EFFECTIVELY is the key. By that I mean no full-throttle upshifts, no forced downshifts (flooring it to get into passing gear), and no powerbraking. A long, happy life can be achieved if you know HOW to use the power. Either program is going to be a blast.

Quote:
What are the weights for the moderate and light tow? I am pretty sure I will stay in that range but want to make sure.
Moderate tow is probably going to be in the range of 6-10K lbs. depending on how hot you want your EGTs to be. Standard tow will likely be up to 6K lbs. Obviously these are just guidelines because every truck is different, every load is different (wind resistance plays a HUGE role in towing capability), and everyone drives different.

Quote:
For the daily drive settings I am assuming they are for around town. What is the difference between the 65, 80, 100? Are they intended for different driving styles or is it nothing more that HP ratings?
Daily driver minded settings are designed to maximize the "pleasure factor" of driving your truck normally. You and I both know that these trucks are kind of frustrating to drive at times and not really responsive ( sluggish turds). The different HP ratings are again a general guideline to follow depending on how you want to drive your truck.

Each type of program is going to give different shift feel, different shift and torque converter strategies, and a higher level of performance for towing OR daily driving. Oh, and if you drag race (on a sanctioned track, of course ) then the tunes will be maximized for that.

Hope that helps.
Old Wed, April 29th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Bacon King

Diesel Rookie is on a distinguished road

Thanks Once again awsome information.

Destrolish or destrolished is something one of my buddies made up after he borke to many parts on his rock crawler. Another one you might like is ginormous.

Also when disassembling the PCM is there any precautions other than rubber gloves and keeping it clean to make sure I don’t fry the chip inside of it with a static discharge?
Old Wed, April 29th, 2009, 05:59 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Rubber gloves are a no-no if you're worried about ESD (electrostatic discharge) frying your PCM.

Everything in there is coated with a thick rubberized potting so no worries about dust, dirt, small children, etc.