Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > General Vehicle Related Topics > Performance Modifications and Other Conversations

Performance Modifications and Other Conversations This is a place where we can have real, honest discussions about all things performance related.

Whether it's power adders, engine parts, configurations, injectors, tuning, or whatever else you can thing of, let's talk about it!

View Poll Results: What CAI are you running?
AFE 27 9.64%
Air Force One 10 3.57%
Airaid 19 6.79%
Banks 9 3.21%
K&N 73 26.07%
S&B 21 7.50%
Other 60 21.43%
Volant 22 7.86%
I don't have a CAI. 39 13.93%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Old Thu, January 8th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Big J

jasfaa is on a distinguished road

This must be a gas vehicle thing. I have not heard of this on the Diesel side. Thanks.
Old Thu, January 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Double Whopper

jerodr is on a distinguished road

Who cares about pullies on a diesel for 6-8 hp when you can put a gryphon on it and get 140...I wish it was the same for gas.
Old Thu, January 8th, 2009, 09:10 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodr View Post
Who cares about pullies on a diesel for 6-8 hp when you can put a gryphon on it and get 140...I wish it was the same for gas.
So do I.

The CAI doesn't actually increase airflow into the engine, but more to the point it removes the restriction.

Think of it this way... Try breathing through 3 feet of garden hose. Under most circumstances, you'd probably be able to breath just fine, but exert yourself a little bit and suddenly that little bitty hose isn't going to cut it. You simply can't get enough air to meet the increased demand.

The stock airbox on the F150 is more than adequate to meet most airflow demands of the vehicle. The only place it falls short is the tapered end of the snorkel that is routed into the fender. It tapers down to about 75% of the size of the rest of the airbox. At low to moderate speeds it's not an obstruction, but as you get up over 3500 RPM under heavy throttle it starts to become an issue.

Most folks have found that by simply removing this piece you can see a noticeable increase in performance in mid to high RPMs, and best of all... it's free! That's my kind of price.

Hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, January 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Big J

I agree that 6 to 8 hp on a diesel is not worth it, I just am not a gear head but like to have knowledge.

As for CAI's, Bill what have you heard on the 6.4 about changing the airbox out. I did this on my 6.0 liter mostly because the damn filter was so expensive but I have been more gun shy on the new truck since the dealers here have told me that changing anything will void the warranty.
Old Thu, January 8th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Double Whopper

jerodr is on a distinguished road

Sorry I wasn't trying to be rude I was just thinking out loud...it kinda sounded that way though.
Old Thu, January 8th, 2009, 10:28 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

No worries, Jerod... Didn't take it that way. I really wish it was as easy to make power on a gasser as it is on the diesels.

As for the CAI on the 6.4L, they seem to work quite well except for one problem. Some trucks seems to exhibit a problem with setting a Mass Air Flow Sensor code when running a CAI. We've had a few people running the S&B on the 6.4L with relatively few problems although I don't have any feedback for AFE, K&N or any others.

Best advice is poke around on some of the diesel threads and see what people are running.

Take care

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Thu, January 8th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Big J

Thanks. I have been an FTE member for a long time but so much on there is what people bought opposed to what the best is. Being proud of something is fine but it does not necessarily mean it is the best.
Old Wed, January 14th, 2009, 10:20 PM

I agree with you there. Nobody wants to ever admit they made a mistake with a product they bought. I guess people take it as a personal affront to look they made a bad decision.

I would honestly rather see someone tell me up front that they were not happy with our products or our service than to be disappointed and not say anything. It has always been our goal to do everything we can within our means to make our customers happy and if that means pointing them to another company that could better meet their needs than we can, then that's what we need to do.

I hope that you can find some enthusiasts that will give you the straight business on how their CAIs worked (or didn't) so you could at least be able to make an accurately informed decision.

Take care.

(678) 890-1110

Old Sun, January 18th, 2009, 03:32 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
So do I.

The CAI doesn't actually increase airflow into the engine, but more to the point it removes the restriction.

Think of it this way... Try breathing through 3 feet of garden hose. Under most circumstances, you'd probably be able to breath just fine, but exert yourself a little bit and suddenly that little bitty hose isn't going to cut it. You simply can't get enough air to meet the increased demand.

The stock airbox on the F150 is more than adequate to meet most airflow demands of the vehicle. The only place it falls short is the tapered end of the snorkel that is routed into the fender. It tapers down to about 75% of the size of the rest of the airbox. At low to moderate speeds it's not an obstruction, but as you get up over 3500 RPM under heavy throttle it starts to become an issue.

Most folks have found that by simply removing this piece you can see a noticeable increase in performance in mid to high RPMs, and best of all... it's free! That's my kind of price.

Hope this helps.
Bill, would removing the tapered piece tend to make the engine run lean, requiring an adjustment in custom tunes?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, January 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Not that I have observed. Since this modification does not have any overall effect on the MAF Sensor, everything should be compensated for in the final fuel calculations based on MAF readings.

(678) 890-1110