Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 09:45 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodr View Post
I drove my mom's 07 fx2 most of the day today and there is so much difference in the amount of throttle needed to get the truck to respond from a dead stop. Here truck is stock so I know something funky is going on with mine. I thought my truck would be as good or better than hers after the gryphon but that is not the case.

Jerod
I agree - I drove my truck quite a bit yesterday (had to pick up a mattress we just bought) and I paid extra attention to how it responded from a dead stop. There is NO lag at all, period! In a slow roll, if the transmission has shifted up into 2nd, there is a small delay while it shifts down to 1st, but I consider that a normal delay.

So, I'd talk to Bill about this. You may be able to PM him during this "closed for completing tunes" period and he may answer, or you could try emailing him or Corey. Since your case is not an "emergency", he may not be able to give it any attention until after they reopen for normal business.

- Jack
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Double Whopper

jerodr is on a distinguished road

Yeah that's pretty much how my mom's truck is. When I order my custom tunes I will speak to bill. It is definately not an emergency. I have good news though. I pulled my boat today from dallas to austin (250 miles) and what a difference in pulling power. I had it on level 2 and the downshifting for passing was so much better than stock. I also liked the fact that it would not hang in 3rd gear after coming over a hill like it does in stock mode. It will downshift when i hit the throttle and upshift just as quickly.

Jerod
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 05:40 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Yup! It's almost a crime (in my opinion) the way Ford tuned these things. That passing lag in the stock tune is really, literally, a killer, isn't it? I also noticed a pretty good gain in gas mileage (about 2mpg) when towing and using the "canned" tow tune. Bill's custom tune improved on that about 0.7mpg.

- Jack
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Double Whopper

Yeah the stock tune is ridiculous. I averaged 15.5mpg which is definately the best mileage I have had pulling my boat. There wasn't hardly any wind today at all so it was a good "true" test of what it gets. I would say that it was around a 1.5-2mpg increase. What else did you notice about his towing tune over the canned tune if anything? Also I want to fill up with 93 octane and run the canned level 3 so do I need to advance the timing? If so how much?

Jerod
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 06:35 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodr View Post
Yeah the stock tune is ridiculous. I averaged 15.5mpg which is definately the best mileage I have had pulling my boat. There wasn't hardly any wind today at all so it was a good "true" test of what it gets. I would say that it was around a 1.5-2mpg increase. What else did you notice about his towing tune over the canned tune if anything? Also I want to fill up with 93 octane and run the canned level 3 so do I need to advance the timing? If so how much?

Jerod
If you fill with 93 octane and run a 91 octane canned tune, you should be able to advance the timing by 1 point in the custom options menu. (That's if your tank is FULL of 93 octane. If it's half 93 and half 87, you're actually using a blend that is close to 90 octane, so leave the timing alone till your tank is really full of the high priced stuff). Bill can, of course, write you a true 93 octane tune that will take full advantage of the stuff you put into the tank, because it tweaks more things than just timing.

If all you pull is a relatively light boat, 2000# or less (and it sounds like that's what you have), you can probably use any tune to pull it. But, Bill can write a custom tow tune for that weight too.

I think Bill's shifts were firmer than the canned tunes at WOT or near WOT. Beyond that, and the additional increase in fuel economy, I can't say I noticed anything.

- Jack
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Double Whopper

That's what I figured about the timing...I'll give it a shot. I plan on getting the tow tune along with the other tunes very soon.

Jerod
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Double Whopper

chappy is on a distinguished road

The throttle lag is almost not even noticeable after the custom tunes.I was impressed with the canned tunes also and then when Bill tunes arrived and I downloaded them,It was like I put another programmer on it all over again.And Bill tranny shifting is the very best.I have never been in love with the way a tranny shifted like I have been with Bills tuning of it.With my stock size Mud terrains on the stock heavy steel rims,I can peg the throttle from a dead stop and burn the hell out of the tires on dry pavement and thats Both tires(aka limited slip)Its awesome.When I go to the sand dunes ,I run the 93 octane peformance and its even better.I hated the way mine drove stock.
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 03:52 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Chappy,

Awesome! Have you got pics of the sand dunes? I expect to see some rooster tails!

Glad you're truck is running well. Always nice to know when we make our customers happy.

Have a safe and happy new year.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!