Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Wed, July 13th, 2011, 11:28 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

All the programmers (Gryphon, Evolution, CS, and CTS) have the capability to read the P1000. The question is whether or not the P1000 DTC has been disabled in the calibration. In most cases, the P1000 was shut off to avoid the annoyance of the DTC and also prevent unnecessary tech calls about what the P1000 DTC was. However, this does not affect the system self tests for the OBDII monitors. Those will continue to function as normal, so if the monitors continue to come back as "Not Ready" then there is a problem with one or more emissions related systems.

I will say that performing a drive cycle to reset the monitors can be extremely difficult. There are very specific guidelines that need to be adhered to and sometimes it can take days of driving to get the monitors to clear. With specific fuel levels, temperatures, drive speeds and drive cycles that need to be met, it can be quite a pain. I do think that after 500 miles of driving, if the system hasn't cleared itself then there really is a problem with the vehicle. Unfortunately, OBDII monitors aren't something that can be forced, faked, or bypassed.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, July 13th, 2011, 12:25 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
All the programmers (Gryphon, Evolution, CS, and CTS) have the capability to read the P1000. The question is whether or not the P1000 DTC has been disabled in the calibration. In most cases, the P1000 was shut off to avoid the annoyance of the DTC and also prevent unnecessary tech calls about what the P1000 DTC was. However, this does not affect the system self tests for the OBDII monitors. Those will continue to function as normal, so if the monitors continue to come back as "Not Ready" then there is a problem with one or more emissions related systems.

I will say that performing a drive cycle to reset the monitors can be extremely difficult. There are very specific guidelines that need to be adhered to and sometimes it can take days of driving to get the monitors to clear. With specific fuel levels, temperatures, drive speeds and drive cycles that need to be met, it can be quite a pain. I do think that after 500 miles of driving, if the system hasn't cleared itself then there really is a problem with the vehicle. Unfortunately, OBDII monitors aren't something that can be forced, faked, or bypassed.

Take care.
Bill, my comment about the P1000 code was based on my NEVER seeing it when returning the truck to stock while I was still using my old Gryphon. And yes, I looked for it. But, it showed up at stock when I started using the CTS. And, as you say, it certainly did not clear quickly when the truck was at stock either.

- Jack
Old Thu, July 14th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

AZFX4 is on a distinguished road

Bill, that helps alot... I'll see what happens tomorrow as I'm taking a long drive, if that fails I will follow their guidelines on drive cycle on stock tune and see if I can possibly get rid of it.

J&J, They plug into my OBD port and they take my gas cap off, but it failed before they did anything to my gas cap. I can't recall if they put a tube over it when I first bought it or not? So I can't be sure.
Old Thu, July 14th, 2011, 07:21 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Oh, and the EPA mandate for OBD 2 vehicles and the EVAP system requires the fuel level to be between 85% and 15%...so you have a wider fuel level window than what the emission shop told you.

Just a little information.
Old Thu, July 14th, 2011, 02:27 PM

If getting rid fo the drive cycle code is so strict, I need to try to find a road that I can actually do everything correctly. Not to many places I can do certain speeds for long periods of times like it says. Or 0-60s, back to 40s, OD off, ect ect.
Old Thu, July 14th, 2011, 02:31 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

That's the problem. I've had to fight for days to on some vehicles to get the OBD test monitors to complete. Others will seem to do it just driving to the grocery store. It's really weird.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Thu, July 14th, 2011, 06:50 PM

Your right it's wack.

Lastnight I bought a sub and amp, well we hooked it up, and unplugged the battery. Todays last day til registration expired. I read the paper on passing drive cycle, and did everything but all the 0-60, coast to 40, ect ect... went to ADEQ, hooked me up and it said I was ready! So about 2 hours of driving and around 100 miles it was ready. Went to emissions, PASSED! COMPLETE.

Now the next problem..................... downloading custom tunes.

Got home, plugged it in, download tune 2 - 87 Perf tune. Went through the 1-4 step, then writing checksum files.. ect ect.. did the 1-4 again about alerts and records.. got to turn key off, turn key on, did that and it froze at that. Unplugged, plugged back in, said session failed and restore stock settings. Did so, redownloaded tune 2 and it went through everything and completed, now it's on tune 2. Turned truck off. Did a few things.. came back and turned truck on to go for a drive and Gryphons screen went black. This has happened many times, it's usually the fuse... I replaced the fuse, nothing... put another 1 in just to see. Nothing... with the fuse out, for some weird reason the Gryphons screen came on, but it wasn't good. It showed my 4 parameter boxes, and bottom 2 was very out of pixel, and it showed like -173.0 in both boxes, it was weird. Or -17.30 whatever that means then screen went blank. Tried another fuse.. NOTHING. Now it's black. It came BACK on without a fuse and went off.

I want to say somethings wrong with the device itself? Cause all my fuses are brand new. And it usually just turns back on. I'll retry it in a while. Let it settle... but now what could be the problem? Would you consider trading this old style for a CS and I pay the difference? Is the software in the new CS's better?
Old Thu, July 14th, 2011, 06:58 PM

Went back out, unplugged it, plugged it back in, screen came on. Read my HEX file and started...

Now the sceen now works.. Weird.
Old Thu, July 14th, 2011, 09:00 PM

I'd have to say it's a connection issue with either the plug on the back of the device or with where it connects to the OBDII port. Unfortunately, I don't have any way to reuse the device or we'd find some way give you credit against a CS or CTS. I know Edge was offering some sort of upgrade credit, but not sure if they still have that. When I get back to the office, I can check with Edge and see if they're still offering anything.

Glad everything else got straightened out with the emissions testing.

Take care.

(678) 890-1110

Old Fri, July 15th, 2011, 01:33 AM

Alright thanks.