Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > All Other Vehicles > Cars, Station Wagons, and Crossovers

Cars, Station Wagons, and Crossovers Pretty much anything we haven't covered in a specific forum. Dodge, GM, Import... You name it!

Old Thu, August 11th, 2022, 05:45 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all
Default 1972 Firebird in the shop.

I have an old Firebird in the shop that belongs to a friend of mine. His father (the owner) died a couple years ago and now the son and widow would like to drive it around. Over the years, it's been to a few places and a lot of money has been thrown at it to make it run right. Basic rundown is that it idles REALLY fast, bogs and dies when put in gear, and tires chirp every time it's put in drive or reverse. I got it at the shop three weeks ago and started going over it with a fine-tooth comb. Here's a list of things I found wrong with it:

Big, lumpy camshaft.
Single plane intake.
Stock stall speed torque converter.

It's basically a mismatch of parts that don't work together for a stock long block and stock torque converter.

The PCV valve was plumbed into a single intake runner, the vacuum advance was hooked to manifold vacuum, the ignition timing was REALLY retarded, the choke pull-off lever was interfering with the air cleaner base and would never let the choke come all the way off, the #8 spark plug wire separated from the terminal at the distributor cap, and the spreadbore intake had a squarebore carburetor resulting in a vacuum leak.

It wasn't perfect when it left here 3 weeks ago, but the owner was really happy with the way it was running when he got it back and has driven it quite a bit! I told him that it'll be way better when I get the right parts.

I got the parts to fix it on Monday and now it's sitting in the shop with a Quadra-jet, dual plane intake, and higher stall speed converter (which is going in first thing in the morning since it's 95 degrees and I have a big job coming here in about an hour). I didn't want to break into the engine and change the camshaft so with any luck this will make it into a single-footer around town. Before, a fella had to have one foot on the brake and one on the gas. It's already way better than it was when it showed up this morning......I can't wait until the transmission doesn't kill it every time it's put in gear!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220811_153515[1].jpg (842.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20220811_153528[1].jpg (528.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20220811_153541[1].jpg (937.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20220811_153608[1].jpg (780.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20220811_153656[1].jpg (794.7 KB, 6 views)
Old Sat, August 13th, 2022, 10:02 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

It goes without saying, I love old cars. They're actually quite simple to work on. It's just common sense.

Glad you've been able to get it back into a decent running state. I'm sure your friend is thrilled to be able to drive it and not be on the edge of causing an accident.

Any pics?

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, August 14th, 2022, 08:23 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
It goes without saying, I love old cars. They're actually quite simple to work on. It's just common sense.

Glad you've been able to get it back into a decent running state. I'm sure your friend is thrilled to be able to drive it and not be on the edge of causing an accident.

Any pics?
I attached 5 to the post initially. Do they not show up for you?
Old Sun, August 14th, 2022, 10:43 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
I see them, but miss the big Firebird decal on the hood that those things had.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, August 14th, 2022, 11:59 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpine View Post
I see them, but miss the big Firebird decal on the hood that those things had.

- Jack
This is the bare-bones model....nothing power/appearance/performance-oriented about it. Looks good from 30 feet (we call that a "30-footer" around here) and drives really well.

Here it is in the sunlight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220814_110056.jpg (1.41 MB, 4 views)
Old Sun, August 14th, 2022, 01:53 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

It's a purdy car, isn't it?

- Jack
Old Mon, August 15th, 2022, 01:41 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
My mistake. I was looking at in on my phone and I missed the attachments.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, August 17th, 2022, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

PHP Ward is on a distinguished road

I sure do love a nice F-body.

Pic of my Camaro for qualification.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0199.jpg (511.5 KB, 4 views)

PHP Support
  • 1996 F250 7.3L
  • 1995 F150 5.8L