Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, December 26th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Double Whopper

jerodr is on a distinguished road
Default Gryphon 1st impressions

So I installed my gryphon last night and went out and tested it today. First of all the shifting is awesome! I have been running the canned tunes level 2 the whole time and I could really tell a difference in the truck. I love the way it looks on the dash and all of the guages are very useful. However I was expecting the throttle lag to go away and I don't think it changed at all. My mom has a stock 07 fx2 and the throttle response is much better on hers even. I plan on ordering custom tunes after I purchase an intake so I guess my question is will my throttle response improve with the custom tunes? I am going to try level three on my next tank of gas to see if it is any better. Has anyone else experienced this with their canned tunes? I was honestly expecting it to be like a cable driven throttle so maybe my expectations were too high?
Old Fri, December 26th, 2008, 08:09 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

It's been over a year now since I put an Edge, later upgraded to a Gryphon on my truck, so my memory of the change is not as sharp as I'd like. I DO know I felt the throttle lag was reduced considerably, so much so that I felt like it was gone.

Possibly, I was comparing it to a normally aspirated vehicle and was accepting the slight delay necessary for the transmission to downshift (which can't be instantaneous after all). Overall though, I thought I saw a vast improvement, just with the canned tune.

I don't recall that much difference in the lag between canned and custom tunes though. Possibly (probably really), when Bill reads this he'll have some thoughts and he may be able to tweak something. From your sig it looks like you and I have the same truck (except for one year and King Ranch trim), so I'd expect an improvement in the lag with the programmer.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, December 26th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Double Whopper

Throttle lag was one of the things that I payed very close attention to and from a dead stop it still takes about the same amount of time to get the truck rolling and the same amount of pedal. I'm sure the custom tunes will solve this problem in the end though.

Jerod
Old Fri, December 26th, 2008, 10:02 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodr View Post
Throttle lag was one of the things that I payed very close attention to and from a dead stop it still takes about the same amount of time to get the truck rolling and the same amount of pedal. I'm sure the custom tunes will solve this problem in the end though.

Jerod
Ah - I see we're really talking about two different "lags". I was only concerned with the "downshift to pass" lag. I'm literally a "Grandpa" and I've never felt the urge to stomp the thing pulling away from a dead stop!

- Jack
Old Fri, December 26th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Double Whopper

Jack, the downshift to pass lag feels good to me. I don't stomp the truck from a dead stop either. I am refering to normal acceleration from stop. When I press the accelerator to go, say from a red light, it still takes the truck around 1 second to respond(prob more like 1/2 second but it feels like an eternity) and actually move. It is identical to the stock tune in this regard. Sorry I hope I am being more concise.

Jerod
Old Fri, December 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM
PHP Groupie

That IS interesting, Jerod. I've never noticed any kind of hesitation in a normal accelerate from a stop. That's really kind of weird! The transmission has to already be in first, and the torque converter is definitely unlocked, so the lag has to be in the engine's response to your throttle. My engine's response seems very "instant".

I'd definitely talk to Bill about this. I'm sure he will have some ideas.

Wonder if anyone else has experienced what you're describing - anybody?

- Jack
Old Fri, December 26th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Whopper Junior

racinwarrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
That IS interesting, Jerod. I've never noticed any kind of hesitation in a normal accelerate from a stop. That's really kind of weird! The transmission has to already be in first, and the torque converter is definitely unlocked, so the lag has to be in the engine's response to your throttle. My engine's response seems very "instant".

I'd definitely talk to Bill about this. I'm sure he will have some ideas.

Wonder if anyone else has experienced what you're describing - anybody?

- Jack
x2

i dont have much if any lag from a dead stop. theres even been times when its been to much throttle and spun the tires
Old Fri, December 26th, 2008, 05:41 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinwarrior View Post
x2

i dont have much if any lag from a dead stop. theres even been times when its been to much throttle and spun the tires
That's kind of my feeling too, racinwarrior. I think I'd have to be careful starting out in mud or in snow.(But I guess locking it in 2nd, and 4WD should take care of things).

- Jack
Old Fri, December 26th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Double Whopper

Dfishrmn is on a distinguished road

I have the 87 Performance tune and definitely felt an improvement in both dead stop and passing lag. I too am not really interested in nailing the throttle from a stop but have punched it for curiousity from a slow roll for fun. With about 25% throttle it will break the tires loose easily even at a roll. Passing is a pleasure, the truck just seems to set down and accelerate smoothly through the downshift and upshifts. Throttle is smooth and responsive without having to really hit it to get going like I did in stock tuning. Huge difference!
Old Sat, December 27th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Double Whopper

I drove my mom's 07 fx2 most of the day today and there is so much difference in the amount of throttle needed to get the truck to respond from a dead stop. Here truck is stock so I know something funky is going on with mine. I thought my truck would be as good or better than hers after the gryphon but that is not the case.

Jerod