Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, January 7th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Takin the low road.....

Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Couple of n0oB questions....

I have a couple of questions that I think I know the answer to , but would like the experts to chime in. The Gryphon is able to return me to the stock setting on the computer and be removed, correct? I'll just need to drive long enough to cycle out the codes caused by the return to stock configuration if my homework serves me correctly, right?

I beat the dealership about the head and neck in order to get them to throw in all my service with my new truck and North Carolina also has pretty tough emissions test so I'd like to be able to return to stock settings and remove the tuner while I take care of those things.

One last thing....what color is the "pod" that houses the Gryphon? I have a grey interior and would really like it to match if I go with the Gryphon. Sorry if I missed the answers on the forum or main website.

Thanks,
Lee

QueenCityBashers.com
South Central NC RC Bashers
Old Wed, January 7th, 2009, 08:48 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
I have a couple of questions that I think I know the answer to , but would like the experts to chime in. The Gryphon is able to return me to the stock setting on the computer and be removed, correct? I'll just need to drive long enough to cycle out the codes caused by the return to stock configuration if my homework serves me correctly, right?

I beat the dealership about the head and neck in order to get them to throw in all my service with my new truck and North Carolina also has pretty tough emissions test so I'd like to be able to return to stock settings and remove the tuner while I take care of those things.

One last thing....what color is the "pod" that houses the Gryphon? I have a grey interior and would really like it to match if I go with the Gryphon. Sorry if I missed the answers on the forum or main website.

Thanks,
Lee
Hi Lee -

Yes to the first question. Returning the Gryphon to Level 0 restores the factory tune to the PCM, and, it sets a code showing the tune is not quite "settled" yet. Driving for a while (about 30 miles I believe) cancels this code. You can also do the "drive cycle" procedure that's in PHP's FAQs. I don't worry about this though, which leads to your second paragraph.

The only time the code is a problem is if you take the truck for emissions inspection and they plug their tester into your OBDII port. Having a code showing then causes the test to fail. The solution is to leave your preferred tune in the PCM when you take it for inspection. There've been NO reports of a custom tune causing an emissions test failure. I'll remove the Gryphon from the dash and the connecting chord from the OBDII port though so they'll have less to wonder about.

Whenever I take my truck to the dealership, I reset the tune to Level 0 and remove the Gryphon and the connecting cable. I don't worry about the code in this case. You want the PCM in level 0 in case they do a reflash on it.

If your dash is kind of a titanium grey where the pod mounts, I think you'll find the match is nearly perfect. If you look at the pictures of the Gryphon and pod for the new model truck on the website (it's mine), I think you'll be able to see how well it matches.

Hope this helps!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, January 7th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Takin the low road.....

Cajun is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jack, those are the answers I was looking for. Sorry I did see those pictures, but wasn't sure if the pod had been painted to match the dash. I do have the grey you're color dash so that should work out great.

QueenCityBashers.com
South Central NC RC Bashers