Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, July 28th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Zach

kymudder08 is on a distinguished road
Default bunch of questions about gryphon for 04-08 f150 5.4

ok, so im in the market for a programmer and some guys on a couple online forums reccomended the gryphon, especially for the custom tunes. so i checked out the main site and looked around and the price is great compared to others so that was a plus. the big problem is i know NOTHING about programmers, how to used them, how to install custom tunes to the programmer, etc...

can you guys help explain those to me? i read on the main site but it all looks like a foreign language talkin about pegasus and stuff. i have another question. i dont have any performance upgrades YET except for a flowmaster 40series on stock input tubing w/ a little bigger out tubing. i plan on getting a volant cold air intake, an MBRP dual catback, 33-34"x12.50 tires, and thats all i can think performance wise. so if i get the gryphon and list all those things above to get the custom tune, will i still have the stock canned tunes that i can use in the meantime before i get the mods? will the catback exhaust make the truck run anydifferent w/ the stock canned tunes? i have been told that a cold air intake will make the truck run lean w/o the tune. what does "canned tune" mean exactly? how many tunes come on the gryphon? when you get a custom tune, is it just ONE setting and added w/ the stock tunes?

also, i looked at the order form and it looks REALLY confusing. is there anyway i can get a mockup of what exactly is supposed to go in the spaces on the orderform? and i dont order online bc im affraid of IDtheft, so is there anyway i can order buy phone and print the form off and send it by fax?

thanks guys. like i said, im programmer dumb and if i think of anything else ill let 'em fly
Old Tue, July 28th, 2009, 08:38 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

They're ALL reasonable questions, kymudder08 - let's see if I can answer at least a few of them.

You CAN fill out, print and FAX the order form if that is what you want to do. You can certainly talk to Corey or Bill before you order, but it may be hard to reach them - they are constantly fielding calls. I think they accept most any kind of payment - credit card, check or paypal.

You did a pretty good job describing your proposed mods here. Just put that information on the form. If you're unsure of anything, leave it blank or show it as "stock".

The Gryphon is EASY to use and install! All you really have to do is read the manual. Honest - installation takes maybe 10 minutes (no tools) and programming takes about 5 minutes. Once you do it, you'll wonder what you were worried about.

It comes with three "generic" (canned) tunes for different driving needs.
1. Transmission only - no modifications to the engine but improved shifting.
2. 87 Octane Tow - modifications to shifting and improved fueling/timing strategies for towing loads in the 5-6K range.
3. 93 Octane Performance - Use this only with 91-93 octane fuel. Timing is advanced, fueling is modified, transmission shift parameters are changed.
When I got mine, I used the 87 Octane Tow tune until I got custom tunes.

Each Custom tune will replace one of the "canned" tunes. I have a custom 87 octane, daily driver tune in place of the Level 1 transmission only tune and a custom 87 octane towing tune in place of the canned Level 2 tow tune. I still have the canned 93 octane tune and never use it.

Pegasus is simply a computer program you download to your PC and you use it to put tunes into your Gryphon. Pegasus is free.

The exhaust mods will probably do very little for the performance of your truck and it should not effect any tune. It may sound nice though.

The intake CAN make your truck run lean, especially if it's a 2004-2005 model. A custom tune can account for this.

Putting larger tires on your truck effectively reduces the gear ratio. It will seem more sluggish. A Gryphon with custom tunes can restore some of that "lost power" feeling.

Hope this all makes sense!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, July 28th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Zach

thanks, that helps ALOT. so you can only have 3 tunes on the programmer at once? say i get 1 custom tune, when i remove one of the other tunes and put in the custom tune, will i ever be able to get the canned tune back if need be? how can i turn it back to stock settings for when i go to the dealership for warrenty work? does the canned tunes improve fuel economy? if i get a custom tune for a catback exhaust and a cold air intake, then later on down the road i get bigger than stock tires. will i be able to use that same custom tune and just change the tire size on the programmer or will i have to buy a new tune? do tunes cost more if you buy them AFTER you buy the tuner rather than the same time you buy the tuner? cuz ik that some other companies charge like $30 for a tune the same time you buy a programmer and double that after the fact. how does the programmer mount in the truck? suction cup to the window or do i buy some kind of dash mounted system?
Old Tue, July 28th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymudder08 View Post
thanks, that helps ALOT. so you can only have 3 tunes on the programmer at once? say i get 1 custom tune, when i remove one of the other tunes and put in the custom tune, will i ever be able to get the canned tune back if need be? how can i turn it back to stock settings for when i go to the dealership for warrenty work? does the canned tunes improve fuel economy? if i get a custom tune for a catback exhaust and a cold air intake, then later on down the road i get bigger than stock tires. will i be able to use that same custom tune and just change the tire size on the programmer or will i have to buy a new tune? do tunes cost more if you buy them AFTER you buy the tuner rather than the same time you buy the tuner? cuz ik that some other companies charge like $30 for a tune the same time you buy a programmer and double that after the fact. how does the programmer mount in the truck? suction cup to the window or do i buy some kind of dash mounted system?
If you put one custom tune on...then the canned tune that you replaced will be gone.

You turn it back to stock just like you program it to a level...very simple operation.

Yes you can use the same tune and just go into custom settings and change the tire size to what you need.

I am not sure, but I do think the tunes are higher if you wait to after the purchase.

I think I answered all the questions...maybe not good enough though
Old Tue, July 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I just got my programmer yesterday but I pick stuff up pretty quick. I cranked my truck for the first time with it at about noon today and have already knocked a few seconds off my 0-60 by tweaking the level 1 (tranny only) file.(currently 3 seconds down from stock w/stopwatch and 1 or 2 from canned lvl. 1).

To adjust for aftermarket parts and tires make a note on your order form about the performance mods and current tires because you can go back and change tire and gear sizes in the tuning menu.

Mounting is the easiest part, it comes with its own little holder ("pod") that Edge charges and extra $45 for, to mount the pod you just push it onto the flat plastic by the driver side pillar and then the programmer just pops into that. Its easy to put in and take off so no worries there.

The main thing to do is like JandJ said, read the manual. I actually downloaded a copy before I filled out my order form so I would know what to expect. Its easier to work than I expected, and it looks good. Just set the truck back to stock before going to the dealership. I did my research and the edge came up on top and the gryphon is an improvement on that. So even if my custom tune doesn't come in, Im still happy because I'm still getting a deal.
Old Tue, July 28th, 2009, 11:57 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Do you still have questions? These guys are trying to put me out of business!

- Jack
Old Wed, July 29th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Zach

so you can change the tire size on the custom tunes? what does the level 1 tranny tune and level 2 tow tune mean? like do the levels mean what mode, such as level 1 is the first tune, level 2 is 2nd tune, etc? what custom tunes would you reccomend for me, heres some info that you may need:
most i would tow at this current point in time is a 6k lbs bumper pull camper
only performance mods i would add is a CAI, full catback exhaust, and maybe some aftermarket filters.
i dont ever use any fuel other than 87 octane so any tune using other fuels is useless to me.
my driving style is moderate to normal. my truck has never seen RPMs over 3k and usally never over 2500 RPM. i drive w/ sense, unlike most other kids my age. lol. i drive for a living so i have do be a sensable driver so that bad habbits dont go to the job.
if theres anymore info that i should add just LMK.

so how much is just the programmer w/ canned tunes? is the pod an extra $45 or does it come w/ the tuner? cuz the way you said it, it sounds as if you were saying that edge charges extra for it and when you buy it its just added into the cost of the tuner itself. im deffinately getting a gryphon when im ready to purchase bc of the many great things that i have read and heard about it.
Old Wed, July 29th, 2009, 03:24 PM
PHP Groupie

You can change the tire size on any tune other than the "Stock" tune (what your truck came from the factory with).

The Levels are just numbers. 1, 2 and 3. The Stock tune is at Level 0. You could just as easily call them Level A, B and C.

Your driving sounds a lot like mine, Except I DO see high RPMs once in a while. One place is in passing on 2-lane country roads (I prefer to get around the other guy quickkly) and, when pulling my trailer up a steep mountain highway that's fairly straight with a normal speed limit, the RPMs will be high due to the lower gear.

I'd get a custom "daily driver" tune set up for the kind of driving you do and your driving style - you need to tell Bill these things. And, I'd get a custom towing tune for that 6K trailer. I'd put these tunes in the Level 1 and 2 positions, leaving the Level 3 93 octane performance tune alone. If you put in a commercial CAI, Bill needs to know it.

- Jack
Old Wed, July 29th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Im sure most people find this annoying as heck but w/e

"so you can change the tire size on the custom tunes?"
-yep

"what does the level 1 tranny tune and level 2 tow tune mean?
like do the levels mean what mode, such as level 1 is the first tune, level 2 is 2nd tune, etc?"
-Level 1 only plays with the tranny settings, level 2 also adjusts engine performance

"what custom tunes would you reccomend for me, heres some info that you may need:
most i would tow at this current point in time is a 6k lbs bumper pull camper
only performance mods i would add is a CAI, full catback exhaust, and maybe some aftermarket filters.
i dont ever use any fuel other than 87 octane so any tune using other fuels is useless to me."
-Corey reccomended the 87 performance custom tune to replace level 1 (tranny only) for me, starting to be glad I did. Havent gotten my custom tune yet but I have been playing with settings in the level 2 (87 tow). Havent had to tow anything so I have no idea about tunes for that. I dont know the weight reqirements of specific tunes or anything. There are plenty of people who will argue with me but we have never worried about towing tunes or anything, I am the first one in my entire family to get performance products. We pulled my 5K# RV/dormroom 30 miles on curving rough FM roads with an 04 expedition with NO electric trailer brakes. Pulling was easy, the 4.6L didnt have any trouble getting it going, the expedition just has REALLY soft suspension so it made the ride interesting.

"my driving style is moderate to normal. my truck has never seen RPMs over 3k and usally never over 2500 RPM. i drive w/ sense, unlike most other kids my age. lol. i drive for a living so i have do be a sensable driver so that bad habbits dont go to the job."
-glad to hear Im not the only teenager that is trying to NOT get into wrecks. lol I've been hearing that Bill can make an economy tune but not sure what kind of paramaters he sets for it. Might just be a performance tune with a smart driver

"so how much is just the programmer w/ canned tunes? is the pod an extra $45 or does it come w/ the tuner? cuz the way you said it, it sounds as if you were saying that edge charges extra for it and when you buy it its just added into the cost of the tuner itself. im deffinately getting a gryphon when im ready to purchase bc of the many great things that i have read and heard about it."
-the gryphon comes with 3 canned tunes (same as edge), the pod and the tuner. Edge makes it look like you have to pay extra for the pod while PHP gives it to you free...I was also suprised to get a business card, magnet, pen, a little tin of PHP candy (my personal favorite) and an instruction booklet in english that actually makes sense.

...I know, I talk too much and JandJ got in just before me. lol

Last edited by Longshot270; Wed, July 29th, 2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: too slow
Old Wed, July 29th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Zach

thanks, the answers i was lookin for. so the tuner is 400 plus tax and shipping and w/e tunes you want if you get them? and on the pod, where does it mount and what colors does it come in? on the site it looks like it mounts where the grab handle goes. on the order, do you need to add in what aftermarket stuff and what kinda driving you do if your not gettin custom tunes? how much are the custom tunes at time of ordering/after the fact down the road? i think i saw $30 for when you buy it but cant find the price for after the fact. can you adjust the settings of the canned tunes or is it all preset besides tire size? why should i leave the 93 if i dont ever use that fuel? i figured id leave the 2nd tune and replace the 1 and 3 one