Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > International Navistar Medium Duty Vehicles > 2004 to 2007 International 3000 & 4000 Series

2004 to 2007 International 3000 & 4000 Series VT275, VT365, DT466, and DT570 equipped trucks and buses.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Thu, January 7th, 2021, 06:42 PM
pwerwagn pwerwagn is offline
Whopper
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Bosque farms NM
Posts: 11
pwerwagn is on a distinguished road
Default FICM tune for VT365?

I have a 2007 4200 with the 300hp VT365. It is studded, has new oil/egr cooler, and a TS MP8. The chassis is under a motorhome and has 5.29 gears.

Would the atlas 40 tune work well on this? Has it been used on a vt365? How would it interface with the MP8?

Thanks,
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Fri, January 8th, 2021, 09:59 AM
Power Hungry's Avatar
Power Hungry Power Hungry is offline
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 2,232
Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwerwagn View Post
I have a 2007 4200 with the 300hp VT365. It is studded, has new oil/egr cooler, and a TS MP8. The chassis is under a motorhome and has 5.29 gears.

Would the atlas 40 tune work well on this? Has it been used on a vt365? How would it interface with the MP8?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff,

Welcome!

To answer your question... Yes. The FICM tuning works great on the VT365 and provides solid improvements to performance, throttle response, and economy. We see the same gains on the VT engines as we do on the standard Ford 6.0L applications.

I do not have an answer as to how it will work with the TS MP8 as I'm not certain what the MP8 affects in the engine controls. If you could maybe provide some insight as to what it connects to, I might be able to make a semi-educated guess as to what it's doing. In other words, does it connect to the OBD connector, the engine harness, or both? And if connected to the engine harness, which connectors or wires is it connected to?

We also currently are offering ECM tuning for those trucks, if that's something that interests you. Feel free to give us a shout if you'd like some more information.

Take care.
__________________
Bill Cohron - The Mad Doctor

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford custom tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Get your Custom Tunes here!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Fri, January 8th, 2021, 11:01 AM
pwerwagn pwerwagn is offline
Whopper
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Bosque farms NM
Posts: 11
pwerwagn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Jeff,

Welcome!

To answer your question... Yes. The FICM tuning works great on the VT365 and provides solid improvements to performance, throttle response, and economy. We see the same gains on the VT engines as we do on the standard Ford 6.0L applications.

I do not have an answer as to how it will work with the TS MP8 as I'm not certain what the MP8 affects in the engine controls. If you could maybe provide some insight as to what it connects to, I might be able to make a semi-educated guess as to what it's doing. In other words, does it connect to the OBD connector, the engine harness, or both? And if connected to the engine harness, which connectors or wires is it connected to?

We also currently are offering ECM tuning for those trucks, if that's something that interests you. Feel free to give us a shout if you'd like some more information.

Take care.
Hi Bill!! Thanks for the reply!
The TSMP8 is just a fuel pressure box. It plugs into the ICP sensor and that is it. TS claims a 30% hp increase. I can feel an increase while accelerating, but nothing at WOT. Pulling long hills at WOT, I can turn the knob up and down realtime and it doesn't change power, boost or EGT. But you can feel an increase when taking off from a light.

I am interested in ECM tuning as well! My empty weight is ~22Klbs, and loaded I am 30K or so. BUT, I do have 5.29 gears. What kind of gains can I see combining the two (ECM and FICM)? Like I mentioned, I do have studs (and gauges). Can you delete the EGR in the ECM so I can do an EGR delete?

Currently empty at the 22klb area, it is super super slow. I am topping hills at 35mph that my similar weight 8.1 gas gm motorhome will top at 50+. Getting on the freeway is a chore, It takes a solid mile (if not more) to reach 65. Once cruising 65, it runs ok, and small hills are ok. Big hills, the truck downshifts when I hit ~62 (due to the 5.29's, it cant downshift at a higher speed). As you are probably aware, mine shifts at 3200 unlike the trucks. And I feel like it has no power above about 2900rpm, so it will sit there and just churn away and lose speed. BUT, if I can keep it from downshifting it actually pulls hills better.

For reference, I am turning about 2350rpm at 65, and somewhere around 2600 at 75mph (its also governed at 75mph).

EDIT: also, for reference this is the 300hp VT365. I understand the 300hp VT 365 wasnt very common, and only mainly used in RV's?

Thanks for the reply!
--Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Sat, January 9th, 2021, 10:00 AM
pwerwagn pwerwagn is offline
Whopper
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Bosque farms NM
Posts: 11
pwerwagn is on a distinguished road
Default

Bill,

I’m also having an issue with the fan clutch on this unit. The original one didn’t work at all, so it’s now replaced with a new one from IH. This new one never shuts off. It has a temp adjustment that changes the preload of the bi-metal spring, which I have messed with and it still runs 100% of the time. My coolant temps stay ~170-180.

Have you messed with the fan clutches in these at all? It’s mechanical.

Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Sun, January 10th, 2021, 04:36 PM
pwerwagn pwerwagn is offline
Whopper
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Bosque farms NM
Posts: 11
pwerwagn is on a distinguished road
Default

I also got some info from KC turbo that the VT has a much smaller turbo than the truck. Sounded like a swap to a stock truck turbo would be a decent upgrade, assuming tuning is available to accommodate the larger turbo? If so, I might also consider a KC stage 1 as well..

Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Mon, January 11th, 2021, 08:09 PM
Power Hungry's Avatar
Power Hungry Power Hungry is offline
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 2,232
Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwerwagn View Post
Bill,

I’m also having an issue with the fan clutch on this unit. The original one didn’t work at all, so it’s now replaced with a new one from IH. This new one never shuts off. It has a temp adjustment that changes the preload of the bi-metal spring, which I have messed with and it still runs 100% of the time. My coolant temps stay ~170-180.

Have you messed with the fan clutches in these at all? It’s mechanical.

Jeff
I haven't messed with fan clutches since the '80s.

Everything I build now I run electric fans on as they tend to lend themselves better to thermostatic control. The problem is that on diesel trucks, you'd need several of them to achieve the airflow you'll need to cool the radiator and intercooler. At least two fans for each or maybe even three fans utilizing two on the front at top and bottom pushing and one rear middle pulling. It could be done fairly easily and could also be easily staggered based on temp (1 fan, 2 fans, 3 fans), and would just require quite the power block to feed it. That would give you cooling at idle, low speed, and heavy load conditions, while providing less fan under light loads, cool days, etc.

Anyway, that's just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwerwagn View Post
I also got some info from KC turbo that the VT has a much smaller turbo than the truck. Sounded like a swap to a stock truck turbo would be a decent upgrade, assuming tuning is available to accommodate the larger turbo? If so, I might also consider a KC stage 1 as well..

Jeff
I'm still getting my head around the many configurations that are available with these trucks. I've spent a great deal of time working with the 7.3L trucks and have a good library of calibrations and builds based on the many options available, but still working on the 6.0L stuff.

I'm personally not sure what turbo is used on the VT and how it relates to the 6.0L, so I would defer that to Charlie at KC. In fact, I think I'm going to give him a jingle tomorrow and have a chat about them.

The tuning itself should be pretty straightforward and I don't see an issue with that. Now, I personally prefer using the FICM as a means to increase performance since it directly controls the SOI and PW tables as well as a few other useful items. The ECM is usually used to control ICP, Turbo Control (Desired Boost and VVT Feedforward), Estimated Torque Output (for shifting), and EGR. Combined, these make for really good performance and drivability.

Anyway, I'll get back to you about turbo and tuning and let you know what I find.

Take care.
__________________
Bill Cohron - The Mad Doctor

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford custom tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Get your Custom Tunes here!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Tue, January 12th, 2021, 01:08 PM
pwerwagn pwerwagn is offline
Whopper
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Bosque farms NM
Posts: 11
pwerwagn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
I haven't messed with fan clutches since the '80s.

Everything I build now I run electric fans on as they tend to lend themselves better to thermostatic control. The problem is that on diesel trucks, you'd need several of them to achieve the airflow you'll need to cool the radiator and intercooler. At least two fans for each or maybe even three fans utilizing two on the front at top and bottom pushing and one rear middle pulling. It could be done fairly easily and could also be easily staggered based on temp (1 fan, 2 fans, 3 fans), and would just require quite the power block to feed it. That would give you cooling at idle, low speed, and heavy load conditions, while providing less fan under light loads, cool days, etc.

Anyway, that's just a thought.
Ive actually had similar thoughts, using 3 ford taurus fans. The intercooler on this 4200 is not in front of the radiator, its above. I could build 2 shrouds, one for the IC with a fan, and then another for the radiator with 2 fans. With the taurus fan being 2 speed, it would give me many options for airflow.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
I'm still getting my head around the many configurations that are available with these trucks. I've spent a great deal of time working with the 7.3L trucks and have a good library of calibrations and builds based on the many options available, but still working on the 6.0L stuff.

I'm personally not sure what turbo is used on the VT and how it relates to the 6.0L, so I would defer that to Charlie at KC. In fact, I think I'm going to give him a jingle tomorrow and have a chat about them.

The tuning itself should be pretty straightforward and I don't see an issue with that. Now, I personally prefer using the FICM as a means to increase performance since it directly controls the SOI and PW tables as well as a few other useful items. The ECM is usually used to control ICP, Turbo Control (Desired Boost and VVT Feedforward), Estimated Torque Output (for shifting), and EGR. Combined, these make for really good performance and drivability.

Anyway, I'll get back to you about turbo and tuning and let you know what I find.

Take care.
Awesome! Thank you for the info. So, from the sounds of that, since my MP8 plugs into the ICP, it and the FICM tune might work fine together in the meantime? Is the VT365 ATLAS 40 ficm tune the same tune as the 6.0? Or would you recommend the eco tune for this?

Id love to be able to use a ~40hp ficm tune, and then an ECM tune that maybe adds a bit, and lets me delete the EGR. It would be even nicer if I could do a small turbo upgrade and get more reliable power out of it!

Thanks Bill!

--Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Tue, January 12th, 2021, 04:44 PM
Power Hungry's Avatar
Power Hungry Power Hungry is offline
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 2,232
Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwerwagn View Post
Awesome! Thank you for the info. So, from the sounds of that, since my MP8 plugs into the ICP, it and the FICM tune might work fine together in the meantime? Is the VT365 ATLAS 40 ficm tune the same tune as the 6.0? Or would you recommend the eco tune for this?

Id love to be able to use a ~40hp ficm tune, and then an ECM tune that maybe adds a bit, and lets me delete the EGR. It would be even nicer if I could do a small turbo upgrade and get more reliable power out of it!
Jeff,

Being that I am not 100% certain what the MP8 affects in the system, I would NOT recommend trying to combine the MP8 and the FICM tuning. I'd assume that it's modifying the ICP signal as this is what most aftermarket devices do. The Atlas tuning does not respond well to any external influences to the ICP signal values, either by mechanically/electrically altering the signal (ie. resistors, signal modifier boxes, etc.) or by changing the interpreted value in the ECM (ie. spoofing the A/D Converter values in the code). This leads to the undesired effect of artificially raising the Injection Pulsewidth by making the FICM think the ICP is falling. This is generally not a good thing.

There is no reason you couldn't run the Atlas 40, and in fact I've used it on many trucks already without issue. The tuning is very similar to that which is available for the Power Stroke, but just slightly modified for compatibility with the Navistar control systems.

In regards to the fans... depending on the diameter, the setup I was considering was actually six fans. 3 fans for the split radiator and 3 fans for the intercooler. Small diameter, low profile, high RPM fans would be great as the current draw is low and you could stage them using electric thermostats. Anyway, that was my thoughts.

I hope this is helpful.
__________________
Bill Cohron - The Mad Doctor

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford custom tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Get your Custom Tunes here!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Tue, January 12th, 2021, 08:43 PM
pwerwagn pwerwagn is offline
Whopper
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Bosque farms NM
Posts: 11
pwerwagn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Jeff,

Being that I am not 100% certain what the MP8 affects in the system, I would NOT recommend trying to combine the MP8 and the FICM tuning. I'd assume that it's modifying the ICP signal as this is what most aftermarket devices do. The Atlas tuning does not respond well to any external influences to the ICP signal values, either by mechanically/electrically altering the signal (ie. resistors, signal modifier boxes, etc.) or by changing the interpreted value in the ECM (ie. spoofing the A/D Converter values in the code). This leads to the undesired effect of artificially raising the Injection Pulsewidth by making the FICM think the ICP is falling. This is generally not a good thing.

There is no reason you couldn't run the Atlas 40, and in fact I've used it on many trucks already without issue. The tuning is very similar to that which is available for the Power Stroke, but just slightly modified for compatibility with the Navistar control systems.

In regards to the fans... depending on the diameter, the setup I was considering was actually six fans. 3 fans for the split radiator and 3 fans for the intercooler. Small diameter, low profile, high RPM fans would be great as the current draw is low and you could stage them using electric thermostats. Anyway, that was my thoughts.

I hope this is helpful.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I’ll do some measuring and knock something out in solidworks for different fan ideas.

This MP8 is supposed to add 100hp. I can’t find much info about the MP8 and real dyno results. Is 100hp feasible by just manipulating the ICP? I assume the FICM tune will add a lot of drive ability (and MUCH needed low end spool) that would offset the potential power loss from not running the Mp8? Or do you have a safe tow tune/FICM tune combo that could improve over this ICP fooling box (when talking peak hp, I’m sure a real ecm/FICM tune will be better overall)?

Jeff

By the way, if you’d prefer to talk on the phone I’m down for that too. I’ve just had such a hard time finding any info about the VT that I thought having the info out here might be beneficial. There are quite a few guys with these motorhomes looking for tunes besides me (and they all run the MP8 it seems).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Thu, January 14th, 2021, 10:59 AM
pwerwagn pwerwagn is offline
Whopper
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Bosque farms NM
Posts: 11
pwerwagn is on a distinguished road
Default

Hey Bill!

Another question. Is there a way to have a "tuner" for the FICM on these units with the J1708/J1939 plug? Or am I stuck sending the FICM/ECM in for a tune?

--Jeff
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.


All Contents Copyright 2008-2020, Power Hungry Performance