Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Mon, October 11th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Double Whopper

Colt is on a distinguished road
Default Edge Insight...

I'm a Edge dealer, I've had several calls on the Insight lately, and I knew nothing about it to be honest..

So I bought one for my 7.3.. First thought was " are you kiding me? ".. 4 PID's? That kind of money for 4 PID's? So I e-mailed Edge and asked them what the deal was.. I've been talking with them everyday for the past month about what I wanted to see, and features that would be useful..

I think they took the hint, and so far have done a awesome job.. They released a SW upgrade today to took care of many issues..

I'm not sure about you guys with gassers, what you were able to see and what not, but for the 7.3, it was pathetic.. So, the 7.3 got a ton of PID support, with more to come. Shows ICP pressure, duty cycle, Injector Pulsewidth and many more.

The way it was before, if the ECM didnt report it's VIN number, many older ECM's didnt, then you didnt get much PID support at all, simply because the Insight didnt know how to talk with the ECM.. They changed that, a vehicle that doesnt report it's VIN, you can enter it manually.

The nice thing is, the EAS setup they have, they are telling me it should support up to 15-20 extra sensors. Thats awesome right there. So we're talking about extra temp sensors, pressure sensors, even a wide band. It uses a CAN bus, so they tell me that 256 sensors in theory could be used, but due to power issues, a realistic value is 15-20.. Thats more than enough in my opinion.

This SW update had a bunch of other stuff, what all of it was for other vehicles I'm not sure, I only know about my 7.3 because thats the issues I was addressing with them for the most part. I talked with them about many things regarding gas vehicles. Basicly trying to get the features of the Insight that will serve tuners very well. There is a Maintaince Manager that keeps track of mileage and time, then informs you when something is due.. Sometime by the end of the yr, a Mileage Coach will be included, basicly helping you get the maximum fuel mileage out of your vehicle.

I'm just saying that it's a device to look into, it's not up to snuff right now for everything out there, but they are working on it, and it's fricken cool. I will probably have one in every vehicle I own. It's going to be a awesome tool for the everyday owner all the way up to a tuner. Since we have Minotaur, I think it will be very useful. Within a few mins of using it, I found several area's that need attention, I could have found them with my Solus, but this was right in front of my face, not on a laptop, or a screen in the passenger seat, both of which are dangerous to look at while trying to drive. Datalogs work fairly well for that purpose, but if you've been tuning long, you quickly realize that it doesnt always provide all the info you need. So, having the info right in front of your face, it makes it very easy to find those trouble area's..

Anyways, I'm not trying to sell them, or push a product. I'm just saying this as a user, that it's something worth looking into.
'79 Mustang Turbocharged 302, Aftermarket EFI 563 HP/ 657 TQ
'98 Mustang Stroked, Blown, Aftermarket EFI 498 HP/ 537 TQ
'99 Cobra, no engine ( petal power )
'97 Dodge Ram 1500, Turbocharged 408, Aftermarket EFI

I have far too many toys...
Old Tue, October 12th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Since we have Minotaur, I think it will be very useful. Within a few mins of using it, I found several area's that need attention, I could have found them with my Solus, but this was right in front of my face, not on a laptop, or a screen in the passenger seat, both of which are dangerous to look at while trying to drive. Datalogs work fairly well for that purpose, but if you've been tuning long, you quickly realize that it doesnt always provide all the info you need. So, having the info right in front of your face, it makes it very easy to find those trouble area's..
That must be the reason I was just about like this when watching this video. http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/lates...high-idle.html I know exactly what you mean, I've had my brother's scanner hooked up while driving around. Not quite like having it in your face. Might be getting an Insight someday.
Closed Thread