Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Fri, September 9th, 2011, 10:56 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

He's just jealous......
Old Fri, September 9th, 2011, 11:09 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-127 View Post
A picture is worth a thousand dirty words....

Old Sun, November 27th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

UPDATE TIME!!

There's two updates. I'll break it into two posts. Here is one from 10/24

Finally got some work accomplished over the weekend. The engine is at my parents', I'm working away from home as of current. Brother picked up the things from the machine shop. Block was decked .006" to be trued up, pistons cut the same. Got some assembly done over the past weekend, cam, crank, and several pistons in. Installed the new engine oil cooler and chopped the old one up for giggles, didn't look too bad.

Coolant filter is going on immediately, probably going to wait on water pump replacement until the filter can work some magic cleaning out the cooling system.

Ordered up some final needed parts today. I was at the dealer looking for the rubber support/bushing for the HPOP branch tube, has anyone replaced just that? It looked like the rubber support was only servicable as part of the branch tube....I'm considering machining a replacement on the lathe out of plastic as the rubber piece was kind of chewed up.

Old Sun, November 27th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

Today's update:

Finally! It lives again. Took a while longer than I had hoped. I don't think I've tried as hard to have everything done right working on an engine and had as many issues arise as they did, but its all done now and running great. The Powermax has some nice top end, seems slower to spool than stock but its been a long time since I drove with the stock turbo. Running a CTS with EGT and fuel pressure sensor. I did not take that many pictures besides this piece that I made with some description about it.

On the left in the picture below is a piece of rubber that helped the support the HPOP branch tube. It was fastened in the back of the block. At 203k it seemed to be deteriorating. I could not find this at a Ford dealer, even looking at the parts diagrams with partsman. Seemed to be serviceable only with the branch tube replacement. On the right is my first rendition, a piece of plastic machined in a lathe to be a press fit. After thinking about engine temps I decided against it. Had I not forgotten to order the back plate o-ring seal, I may have installed it.

Here is my second rendition. A piece of aluminum, once again machined in a lathe, with grooves cut for o-rings. This was a piece I made myself. I saw no 'outward' support for the branch tube from the original piece, so I saw no need to make any provisions either.

I did replace the HPOP discharge tube, so the only o-rings that weren't replaced in the HPO system were the stainless hose pieces under the valve cover. So far so good. Only 365 miles on it. Last tank of 230ish miles of varied speeds for break-in I still pulled 16.7mpg.

Next mods, engine oil bypass(I tapped a hole in the upper oil pan for a return) or replace some idlers as preventative maintenance on the front of the enigne.... there are a lot... dual alternators. Maybe some videos to come of driving.
Old Sun, November 27th, 2011, 11:40 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Nice job!

And your not kidding about alot of pulleys, I think I counted 16 on the dual alternator trucks.

Edit:

I found a picture I took of one a while back....

LOL