Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Wed, March 24th, 2010, 01:26 PM
texas offroading

cody994x4 is on a distinguished road
Default Got My Gryphon!, Few questions...

i got my gryphon installed and running yesterday. what an awesome product.
i have only used level 1 so far but im planning on trying out the level2 tow tune today. i did think of a few questions since i got it up and running.

first off, how did everyone mount their pods? the 3m tape was nothing but pathetic. i installed mine w spray adhesive for now lol.

i ran the stock lvl1 tune 1st, then returned to stock then reloaded a custom lvl1 tune with my tire size and correct gear ratio. For tire size i entered 2470mm...i got this number by subtracting 76mm(3%) from 2546mm(285/70-17). 2470 should be my correct size right? i also changed my gear ratio to 3.73 cause it was on 3.55(i guess this is the default ratio). so far im loving this programmer...

in playing with the display PID's....what does the value represent on the MAF view. also, what does the lock symbol mean when viewing current gear. i figured this meant TC was locked, but then it also says 'tcl' in that box.

another question i have is how do i know the gryphon has kept my tire/gear values? nothing will change until i re-program right? meaning i wont have to set these values everytime the truck is started. how can i view the current values? and when i do change programs, how will this work? i know there is a 'load previous settings' screen but i have not seen it yet. finally...can i program lvl1 to lvl3 to lvl 2 and so on, or do i need to program from lvl'x' to lvl0 then to lvl'x'

now im on to updating my user info.
thankx for any help. Cody
Old Thu, March 25th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody994x4 View Post
i got my gryphon installed and running yesterday. what an awesome product.
i have only used level 1 so far but im planning on trying out the level2 tow tune today. i did think of a few questions since i got it up and running.

first off, how did everyone mount their pods? the 3m tape was nothing but pathetic. i installed mine w spray adhesive for now lol.

i ran the stock lvl1 tune 1st, then returned to stock then reloaded a custom lvl1 tune with my tire size and correct gear ratio. For tire size i entered 2470mm...i got this number by subtracting 76mm(3%) from 2546mm(285/70-17). 2470 should be my correct size right? i also changed my gear ratio to 3.73 cause it was on 3.55(i guess this is the default ratio). so far im loving this programmer...

in playing with the display PID's....what does the value represent on the MAF view. also, what does the lock symbol mean when viewing current gear. i figured this meant TC was locked, but then it also says 'tcl' in that box.

another question i have is how do i know the gryphon has kept my tire/gear values? nothing will change until i re-program right? meaning i wont have to set these values everytime the truck is started. how can i view the current values? and when i do change programs, how will this work? i know there is a 'load previous settings' screen but i have not seen it yet. finally...can i program lvl1 to lvl3 to lvl 2 and so on, or do i need to program from lvl'x' to lvl0 then to lvl'x'

now im on to updating my user info.
thankx for any help. Cody
I can't really help you with the mounting issues because I have an '08 and the pod just clips in.

If you want to get your tire size perfect, use a GPS and your truck odometer. Clear the truck and odometer then drive at least 15 miles.
(Truck odometer/GPS odometer) x tire size
There is no need to account for squish or anything like that.

PIDs: The MAF stands for Mass Air Flow, that is the amount of air going into the engine in grams per second. The COMM GEAR is the gear that the truck is in, the lock represents that the torque converter is locked.

The gryphon programs the new gear size into the PCM. But every time you are reprogramming the first thing you need to do is hit [Load Previous Settings], it will be at the bottom of the list of options in the custom menu.

You can program straight from any level to any level.
Old Thu, March 25th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Forum Predator

Here is a list of the PIDs. For a little more info on what they are you can consult your manual or google.

1. Engine Speed (RPM)
2. Vehicle Speed (MPH)
3. Engine Temp (ECT)
4. Engine Oil Temp (EOT)
5. Trans Fluid Temp (CHT)
6. Cylinder Head Temp (CHT)
7. Intake Air Temp (IAT)
8. Line Pressure Desired (LPD)
9. Actual FRP (AFRP)
10. Output Shaft Speed (OSS)
11. Turbine Shaft Speed (TSS)
12. Mass Air Flow (MAF)
13. Mass Air Flow Voltage (MAFV)
14. Variable Cam (VCAM)
15. Spark Advance (SPRK)
16. Torque Control (TQC)
17. Engine Load (LOAD)
18. Accelerator Pedal Position (APP)
19. Battery Voltage (BAT)
20. Instant Economy (IECON)
21. Average Economy (AECON)
22. Comm. Gear (COM GEAR)
Old Thu, March 25th, 2010, 10:36 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

A good read!
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/faqs-....html#post9248

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, March 26th, 2010, 01:37 PM
texas offroading

Thankx for the info Longshot, i will try out your formula for getting an accurate speed/mpg

right now im averaging 15.8(only abt 200miles and mostly h-way but some stops)...id like to get at least 17 w the 33's but we'll see, i have compared readings to my gps, the gps says im gng approx. 2-2.5mph faster than the gryphon indicates. the truck speedo is in between them two reading abt 1-2 mph faster than the gryph. so im close but id like to get this perfect for an accurate mpg reading.
i plan on getting an accurate reading after im dialed in correctly and go on a highway trip of 300miles or so...
Grams per second is the answer i was looking for there.

PIDs- i dont have trans temp or oil temp on my 99...wish i did. Im pretty sure i have current gear not comm gear...i could b wrong on that, no biggie.

Im really enjoying my gryphon so far, there is def. a noticable power increase on the level2 canned tune, and i have yet to try lvl3

Thankx agn.
Old Fri, March 26th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Forum Predator

Just keep in mind that the gryphon programmer is always going to be a little off no matter how accurate the tire size and such are. An easy way to see this is to watch the average economy guage while driving like your racing. From a roll of about 30, floor it until you hit 70. Then let off the gas and watch how fast the average climbs back up until you get back to 30. I've gotten my average to say over 30 by doing that. In reality driving around by flooring it then rolling is not going to improve your economy.
For accurate economy you have to still use the pen and paper when you fill. The average really isn't accurate until about 10 or 20 hours worth of driving.

I'm kinda curious about what your thinking of using the MAF for. With that I think all you can get is the amount of air going in and with some calculations an estimate of fuel going in at a given rpm/% engine load.
Old Fri, March 26th, 2010, 03:52 PM
texas offroading

ok thankx for the added info. also, what format of tire size should be entered into the above formula (mm,in.)

as far as the MAF i was just curious because i didnt know what g/s meant until you explained. I am still learning everyday abt this stuff but i happened to stumble upon another formula in the manual ....i think it was to calculate LOAD, but it involved MAF flow.

As i learn more i will use it to help diagnose a recurring DTC im getting within the last wk or so. Its DTC p1151, hasnt came on since i got the gryph but it will....lol. i dont wanna have fuel/air issues cause that will throw off my economy.

when i did have the MAF view on display it was breifly but the g/s value seemed to be searching...my RPM was also dng this. This weekend i plan on doing a good throttle body,IAC clean but could this instability of MAF flow signal a bad MAF cause that is a probable cause of the p1151...

thankx alot for ur help.
Old Fri, March 26th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Forum Predator

The formula uses the number you put in the programmer. So it'll be mm.

Quote:
as far as the MAF i was just curious because i didnt know what g/s meant until you explained. I am still learning everyday abt this stuff but i happened to stumble upon another formula in the manual ....i think it was to calculate LOAD, but it involved MAF flow.
That must be something for that programmer. I have the '08 manual so its a little different. I looked through the manual (noticed it was from Edge since PHP has now stopped selling the '97-'03 gryphons) and didn't find it.

Dont worry, stuff like the RPM and MAF are never steady. They are always fluctuating. Now if there is 50-100 rpm difference then there might be a problem.

If you really want to learn about each of the PIDs you can use the data stream option while driving to record what you would usually see on the display. You can select 5 parameters for the gryphon to record. This will give you an idea of how the different parts of the truck react with each other while driving.
Here is a link to a post I made a while back where I attached my data log instructions.
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/gryph...html#post23135
Old Mon, March 29th, 2010, 01:14 PM
texas offroading

that was a good write up and i looked forawrd to using the data stream capabilities after seeing it in pegasus...but it looks like you can only do this with 04+ gryphons? is that right?

my diagnostics menu only shows
retrieve DTCs
Clear DTCs
Tech support

....those were useful threads though. thanks
Old Mon, March 29th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Forum Predator

After looking around some websites, it looks like that one doesn't have it. I dont think the diesels have that ablilty for the 1999 and some 2000 for the Edge programmers either.