Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer > FAQs - Gryphon Programmer

Old Wed, December 10th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Double Whopper

Mark_123 is on a distinguished road
Default Pegasus updates...Gryphon firmware updates...

I probably overlooked it, but where can I find info on software and firmware updates? I just loaded the new Pegasus update, but I was wondering where to find the changes that have been made. Also, if the firmware is updated, are you guys recomending we update the Gryphon? Seems as if some people lost files before when doing this. I was just wondering. I guess I'm an "update freak" and like the latest and greatest!!! :luvcomp: I'm guessing or uh hoping I'm not the only one with this problem. It's kinda like OCD. Thanks.
Old Wed, December 10th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

OCD... For those of you who didn't already know it, Bill has Attention Deficit Disorder (which is why he likes to work at night with no distractions!), and OCD often goes hand in hand with it. Not only THAT, but it's also hereditary, so we have three sons with the same issues! (Chris, 22, Dylan, 17, and Wil, 9, who has ADHD -- as in Attention Deficity HYPERACTIVITY Disorder)

So I say it again... OCD... HECK, YOU FIT RIGHT IN HERE!

Now, as for your post, Bill is catching a nap before he gets up to work on the manual for the Minotaur software. I'll tell him about it, but I'm sure he'd be on top of it anyway. He's constantly updating Pegasus, so it's hard for me to talk intelligently about it. :dunce:

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, December 10th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Double Whopper

Mark_123 is on a distinguished road

Seeing how fast you post responses...I'm guessing I'm not alone on the OCD It's no rush...tell Bill not to lose sleep over it...I was just wondering if you posted that sort of info. I would like to know for sure if it's ok to do the firmware updates once custom tunes are on the Gryphon. Have a good night.
Old Thu, December 11th, 2008, 09:43 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Mark, you're not alone in being an "auto update freak" - I am too. I can tell you when I did it, it wiped my custom tunes out and I had to sheepishly ask Bill for help restoring them, which he did, very graciously, cause he's that kind of guy.

Bill MAY have changed things so it's safe to update. But don't try it until you get the go ahead!

Northern Supercrew asked the same question a few days ago, but I don't think Bill has had time to respond to him.

If, as I suspect, updating either firmware or version (or both) wipes out your tunes, this subject should probably be made a "sticky" in this forum.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, December 14th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Double Whopper

banks is on a distinguished road
Default updates

i got the canned tunes and awaiting the custom tunes but i heard people are updating the their programmers. my question is how often are there updates for the gryphon and should u always update the new info. i know there is the update for the metric measurements for those in canada, but are there other updates that i missed
Old Sun, December 14th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light
Question

I know he added a datalogging feature, but I don't know if it's been released yet. Anyone? Anyone? (Bill's on the road coming back from TN , or I'd ask him.)

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Sun, December 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Double Whopper

banks is on a distinguished road

what does the datalogging feature do
Old Sun, December 14th, 2008, 10:45 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The datalogging feature allow you to select from 5 different parameters (such as RPM, throttle position, load, spark, vehicle speed, etc.) and store about 6 minutes worth of data in the unit. You can then hook the unit up to a PC and download the data and graph it in the internal Pegasus graph viewer (very basic graphs, mind you) or you can export to a CSV file to load into Excel or other spreadsheet.

This is useful for diagnosing minor drivability issues as well as providing other performance related information regarding the tuning.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, December 14th, 2008, 11:13 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Bill - I'm not trying to throw darts at you, but you haven't given a definitive answer to the question: "Can I update the firmware and or version info on the Gryphon if I have custom tunes?"

I've given the answer as I knew it back when I trashed my tunes and you helped me get them back, but have you changed things so it's safe to perform these updates?

I'll say here though, there should not be a problem in updating the Pegasus application software.

If updating the Gryphon causes problems though, I'd recommend making that fact a "sticky".

- Jack
Old Mon, December 15th, 2008, 11:09 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Bill - I'm not trying to throw darts at you, but you haven't given a definitive answer to the question: "Can I update the firmware and or version info on the Gryphon if I have custom tunes?"

I've given the answer as I knew it back when I trashed my tunes and you helped me get them back, but have you changed things so it's safe to perform these updates?

I'll say here though, there should not be a problem in updating the Pegasus application software.

If updating the Gryphon causes problems though, I'd recommend making that fact a "sticky".

- Jack
Somewhere along the line I missed the question... Sorry about that. :o I'm going to address both the Pegasus and the Gryphon updates and what's involved in regards to updating for those customers with custom tuning.

For Pegasus, we always recommend checking for updates before doing any updates to your Gryphon (or Evo, for that matter) because there may be important changes that address download functionality. In the next revision we plan to add the capability for the software to automatically check for updates and notify you that they are available for download. We'll make the auto check user selectable so you can shut it off if you desire, although we do still recommend that you stay current on the software to avoid any problems with updates.

For the Gryphon, we have a couple things in the works.

First, we have added the capability for customers to be able to update ONLY the firmware in their unit without having to overwrite their custom calibrations. This should simplify things for everyone and they can stay on top of the latest features and fixes without any difficulty.

Here's the caveat... If you have custom files that were made BEFORE 11/20/2008, they are NOT compatible with the new firmware and must be rebuilt before updating. Let me make this clear, DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE if we did your files before 11/20/2008! There are 3 new files added to the latest builds that are required for the firmware to work correctly. If you would like to update to the latest firmware, please e-mail us or call us and we will rebuild your calibrations and set up a Targeted Download for you which will include the latest firmware. Once your calibration is updated, you'll be able to select [Firmware Only] upgrades from the Gryphon Update Manager to stay up to date.

Don't forget that if you use the Gryphon Update Manager and select [Update All], it will overwrite your custom calibrations with the latest canned calibrations. You will be warned before the update is downloaded that this is what will happen and given the opportunity to cancel, so we shouldn't run into too many problems.

Second, a number of people have expressed a desire to have the ability to check for updates without actually having to plug their unit in. We will be adding this feature in an upcoming revision. This should help simplify the whole update process for everyone.

We do plan to provide a software revision document on both the website and the forums to keep people abreast of when updates are released and what changes were made. The best thing to do is to check the Gryphon and Pegasus forums and see what's going on. You are also welcome to give us a call and see if we recommend updating or not.

There are a few other things in the works as well, but we'll keep those under our hat for the moment.

Hope this helps straighten things out.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!