Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Fri, January 28th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Bacon King

mmandley is on a distinguished road
Default Exhuast vs economy

I am wondering what to expect here.

I have my programmer on the way to PHP right now to get switched to a Diesel set up and then get my tunes uploaded to it.

My question is, i just got my 4inch MBRP straight pipe exhaust delivered. If i install this now will i see anything bad happen to the truck?

I was told no issues will arise as the truck prefers an open exhaust but then i also hear without the PHP tune i will lose mileage on my MPG.

Can anyone answer this? I am planning on a 1500 mile trip in a couple weeks and really want to install my exhaust but don't want to sacrifice my mileage on the highway.

08 F350 Crew Cab Lariat Edition 4x4 6.4L Twin Turbo Diesel
Old Fri, January 28th, 2011, 12:50 PM
electro-mechanical geek

eabrust is on a distinguished road

I did it reverse of you, I ran PHP tunes before I got the 4" exhaust installed, and the tunes weren't made special in any way for accounting for an exhaust.

In my case after installing the 4" exhaust, I feel I may have lost a little bit in mileage for my daily drive to work (fair amount of stop/go in town, ~12 mile drive, possibly due to a loss of a little bit of low end torque when pulling away from every light).

However when haulin' butt on the highway (70-80 mph), I'd say I easily picked up 1-2 mpg over 'before the exhaust' (or at least it pushed up the speed at which I can drive at for decent mileage, as before the exhaust, I used to have to keep it below 70 to stay up around 17.5-18 mpg, and anything over 70 seemed to get me to 15-16 mpg pretty quick).

I'd say you're probably better off putting it on before your trip, but that's based on how my truck responded.

Eric
EGR deleted
Bypass coolant and oil filters
4" Turboback
Old Fri, January 28th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Bacon King

Great sounds reasonable to me. I know my in town mileage isnt that great i only get 12.4 most of time now. I can get it over 13 but im really being easy on it and i dont want my turbo getting to much carbon so i started stepping into it a little more.

I think ill go ahead and put her in because your HWY is exactly like mine, have to keep her under 67 to get 18 and if like to hit 70 in Oregon and 75 threw Idaho. Plus it makes since why on the highway it would get better since there's a lot less back pressure from the open pipe.

Hopping my programmer gets back before the trip so i can at least have the gauges part working.

Old Sun, January 30th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Bacon King

Update.

Got the exhaust installed yesterday. Took me part of Friday and then Saturday morning as im pretty slow and meticulous at these things. My biggest fear is messing it up and hear piped banging around under my truck, or worse it fall off on the road lol.

So i got it all installed and hung under the truck the way i liked it. Then i have a 4inch to 5inch chrome tip from MBRP to really finish it off.

I started the truck and WOW the deep grumble was awesome for 2 seconds then the turbo spun up and it sounded like a mini jet engine behind my truck lol.

I guess that's pretty normal with an 06 due to the turbo displacing the normal exhaust sound at low speeds. I let it warm up and then went on a road test.

I really dont see any major change except the engine responds a lot faster, as soon as i touch the go pedal the RPMS raise up no lag there anymore.

Its pretty tame sounding till 2K RPM then she really sounds menacing as my other put it. The bark and grumble start coming up and the higher the RPM the better it sounded. I found a nice hill and was letting the turbo spool up to 26+ Boost and man she sounded nice. Very impressed with this exhaust.

I have a false sense of MPG increase as i reset the dash meter when i filled up and we wet for a good drive and i got 14.5 instead of 12.5 but the test will be over the next couple weeks on this tank to see what she really does.

Sure do like the sound now because before all i herd was the sound of the engine, now i got the exhaust note for an overall driving experience.

Old Mon, January 31st, 2011, 01:25 PM
Double Whopper

Bob is on a distinguished road

I have an 06 6.0 also, put the MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust on and I really didn't see a change in mileage. Although I suspect yours to go down sence you like the sound of that baby. Ha Ha!! I have been very pleased with mine. Hope it works for you for a long time.
2006 F-350 6.0L 4X4 AFE Intake, Banks Technicooler intercooler system, turbo back MBRP 4" exhaust, 70 Horse Depaco injectors, FICM and ECM/TCM Roll back, Gryphon programmer and Custom Tunes on the way